World Cup 2010

The Stanley Cup finals *averaged* over 4 million viewers, while the 2.275 million viewers for the England-USA World Cup game is the *highest ever* viewership for a preliminary round game. The other games have gathered 1.6m, 1.3m, 900k...

How many Canadians watched the Olympic gold medal hockey game? 22 million...

If you think soccer is anywhere close to hockey in Canada, you're the one living in a delusional world.

-k

Maybe but I bet a lot more Canadians would be watching a World Cup final between just about any European or South American teams than a world championship hockey final between Czech Republic and Russia.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stanley Cup finals *averaged* over 4 million viewers, while the 2.275 million viewers for the England-USA World Cup game is the *highest ever* viewership for a preliminary round game. The other games have gathered 1.6m, 1.3m, 900k...

If you think soccer is anywhere close to hockey in Canada, you're the one living in a delusional world.

-k

Maybe but I bet more Canadians would be watching a World Cup final between just about any European or South American teams than a World Championship hockey final between someone like the Czech Republic and Sweden.

Maybe but I bet more Canadians would be watching a World Cup final between just about any European or South American teams than a World Championship hockey final between someone like the Czech Republic and Sweden.

That is probably true. But I get 82 games a year of my own NHL team. I don't miss many of them. There is only so much one can watch. Aside from the Habs, I also like to watch the Flames, Sens, Canucks, and Wings whenever I can. I don't even care to watch Team Canada in the IIHF tournies. World Cup is only every four years. It's not much of a sacrifice to watch a few games here and there.

Edited by jefferiah

goes both ways Jack, if you slap someone expect to get slapped back...do you see me invading hockey or CFL threads making denigrating remarks about those sports?

Look,if you think watching a bunch of guys kicking a ball around a field for 90+ minutes is the hieght of athletic skill and creativity,knock yourself out!

If the rest of the world thinks this stuff is as good as it gets,well...Good for them!

I like to think of us in North America as a bastion of sanity in an insane sporting world...We get it!Soccer sucks!

I suppose if that makes me the dimwitted (North) American that does'nt have the intellectual capacity to grasp the skill and nuance of the "beautiful game"( which is'nt that beautiful,frankly),then I'll wear my feeblemindedness proudly...

As I said before,soccer(like golf),is an afront to lawns everywhere...

-k

1st it wasn't anywhere near 22 million and it was the event not the game, ratings also had people watching ski jumping, luge and cross country which no one gives a rats ass about but did not because they were fans but because it was an EVENT...that 4 million for the stanley Cup was for the USA, Canada averaged about 2 million for the entire series the final the highest at 3.5M....2nd you missed the point which is without a Canadian team in the tournament no one watches the game, 2006 Olympic final was a ratings disaster because Canada wasn't in the game, where were those 22 million fans Kimmy?, fair weather fans like yourself never watch a hockey game you watch an olympic event, had Canada not been in the game you'd be curling your hair or drying your nails...Canadian football fans will watch a group match, the knockout rounds and the final without any Canadian team present, because those are real fans, not event monkeys... Edited by wyly

!

I like to think of us in North America as a bastion of sanity in an insane sporting world...

You are probably unfamiliar witha sport called baseball...or stock car driving...where drivers show how good they are by turning only in one direction...

World Cup is only every four years. It's not much of a sacrifice to watch a few games here and there.

I've haven't the time to watch all the games...you need to be selective the standings are usually a good guide to which games will be worth watching...

You are probably unfamiliar witha sport called baseball...or stock car driving...where drivers show how good they are by turning only in one direction...

I like baseball(I'm watching my White Sox beat the Alanta Braves right now)...And I like auto racing...

Obviously,I'm the quintessential idiot!!!

I like baseball(I'm watching my White Sox beat the Alanta Braves right now)...And I like auto racing...

Obviously,I'm the quintessential idiot!!!

Given a choice between baseball and watching paint dry, I pick latex

ya real football with real athletes not the N american version with obese padded gorillas that suck on oxygen after every 2 second play ...

No doubt about it. I played soccer when I was younger. You never stop moving. No line changes. And it is a great game to play. For a hockey fan, it's really quite similar in many ways. In winter we used to play indoor tournaments with five players and a keeper. Just for me, there is nothing quite like hockey.

It is fast paced, and the scoring is just a bit higher, which is suited to me. I don't think scoring totals are everything. In basketball the novelty kind of wears of after the score reaches 3 million.

I wonder if August realizes yet that Montreal fans will be booing Halak pretty soon.

The rest of the world plays it without pads, it's called Rugby, a real game.

What about that Australian regulation football. That looks pretty intense. I don't understand the rules. I'm not sure the game has rules. I see refs, but.....

What about that Australian regulation football. That looks pretty intense. I don't understand the rules. I'm not sure the game has rules. I see refs, but.....

They had one of those Aussie Rules guys punting the the New York Jets about 15 years ago...The NFL thought it was an untapped reservoir of potential football talent...

The guy got his ass kicked....So much for the untapped reservoir

They had one of those Aussie Rules guys punting the the New York Jets about 15 years ago...The NFL thought it was an untapped reservoir of potential football talent...

The guy got his ass kicked....So much for the untapped reservoir

Incidentally, are you a CFL or NFL man?

I watch a few CFL games every year. I actually enjoy it when I do, but I've just never got into it to the point where I am a regular viewer.

I watch a few CFL games every year. I actually enjoy it when I do, but I've just never got into it to the point where I am a regular viewer.

I'm a football fan!!!

Canadian college,US college,CFL,NFL...

I played for 11 years...Dad coached me for 3...Dad's uncle is in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and his names on the Grey Cup 5 times...

Used to be a seasons ticket holder in Hamilton(Box D,Row 19,seats 12 and 13 at Ivor Wynne Stadium)

I was kinda born into it!

Edited by Jack Weber

Who are you rooting for, Wyly?

there are some I'm rooting against Argentina just because I do not like them, they cheat...England- I won't shed a tear over them going home early just because they're a bit arrogant...the USA- because of their fans tend to be arrogant and unrealistic, at the same time I like to see the USA to do well...Italy because they play a boring safe game, it works but it's just so damn dull...Portugal-divers supreme, I absolutely detest cheats...France used to play so well but this time I'm happy for their explusion they cheated Ireland out of their chance...

teams I like...1st choice- Netherlands, close so many times but the big win eludes them...2nd choice Spain, like Netherlands have never won the WC, they play beautiful offensive football... 3rd Brazil, like Netherlands and Spain plays the game as it should be, just so much talent but they won it a number of times already...

No doubt about it. I played soccer when I was younger. You never stop moving. No line changes. And it is a great game to play. For a hockey fan, it's really quite similar in many ways. In winter we used to play indoor tournaments with five players and a keeper. Just for me, there is nothing quite like hockey.

same here, we only all my games were outdoors and we played until we could no longer feel our toes...I loved hockey still do but I'm disillusioned on how the game is played with all the clutching and grabing, don't watch very much anymore....made the complete switch to Football when I was a teenager and played summer and 5-a-side indoor during winter...
It is fast paced, and the scoring is just a bit higher, which is suited to me. I don't think scoring totals are everything. In basketball the novelty kind of wears of after the score reaches 3 million.
I always found scoring in Football and hockey were similar a good game was always low scoring even in hockey...a high score indicated something was wrong...basketball was ok to play but ya I found the points excessive, why not just play the last three minutes of a match have a 6-4 score rather than running up the score to 101-99

I used to be fanatic member of the Rider Nation, until I found out each CFL game is only about 12.5 minutes long stretched out over 2 hours, that ended my days as a loyal football fan...I still watch the Riders in a big game though....