Governor-General

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. The brilliance of that argument is stunning! I'm sure you'll rally the nation to regicide with such rousing intellect. :rolleyes:

We have no reason for the monarchy in this country and trying to debate with many of you on this board is pointless. There is no debate, simply people spouting the same old talking points that they hear and read in the media.

Having no relationship with the British monarchy would do nothing to change our history nor would it mean we need to change the names of regiments in the military.

We have no reason for the monarchy in this country... There is no debate...

Ah, of course. Sorry I didn't earlier notice your self-appointed, exalted position that entitles you to make sweeping and unquestionable decrees to all the buffoons who don't hold the same opinion as you.

"There is no debate"; shit, I guess the "real" and "true" democracy anti-monarchists say we need comes not just with the abolition of the Crown but with the end of debate, as well. No thanks.

[c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

Ignatieff was consulted by the Canadian Secretary to the Queen at the request of the prime minister for suggestions on a successor to Jean, the Liberal party said Sunday in a statement on its website.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/02/governor-general-jean-term.html

Ignatieff did not propose any names for Jean's replacement. Instead, he called for an extension of her term. Too bad. I would have been interested to hear which illustrious Canadian Ignatieff would have proposed. He is scheduled to hold a press conference on the matter later today.

Ah, of course. Sorry I didn't earlier notice your self-appointed, exalted position that entitles you to make sweeping and unquestionable decrees to all the buffoons who don't hold the same opinion as you.

"There is no debate"; shit, I guess the "real" and "true" democracy anti-monarchists say we need comes not just with the abolition of the Crown but with the end of debate, as well. No thanks.

[c/e]

You have taken what I said out of context, and in doing so, you show why there is no debate on this board. It is simply people taking shots (such as you have done) and others simply repeating the party line.

You have taken what I said out of context, and in doing so, you show why there is no debate on this board. It is simply people taking shots (such as you have done) and others simply repeating the party line.

So what is the advantage of a mostly ceremonial president over a mostly ceremonial monarch and governor general?

So what is the advantage of a mostly ceremonial president over a mostly ceremonial monarch and governor general?

I don't think any of those positions would provide much in the way of government to any country. Personally, I don't see any advantage for Canada to still have ties to the British Monarchy. Perhaps bambino could help us out on this one since I'm not able to contribute in a manner that is approved by him.

So most of the countries in the world have it wrong then?

Most countries have ceremonial presidents and monarch. Wow I didn't know that, thank for filling me in.

While the GG does still have powers, they are seldom used without direction from the PM. What is the point of continuing with this role other than to keep the monarchist happy. Would you truly want an appointed GG to be the person with the most power in the country?

While the GG does still have powers, they are seldom used without direction from the PM.

Like the president in most countries. Any country with a parliament isn't set up with a president like that in the US.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/02/governor-general-jean-term.html

Ignatieff did not propose any names for Jean's replacement. Instead, he called for an extension of her term. Too bad. I would have been interested to hear which illustrious Canadian Ignatieff would have proposed. He is scheduled to hold a press conference on the matter later today.

he has...Jean...the position can be extended so why not? why change just for the sake of change if everyone is pleased with the person? I've yet to hear any criticsim of her performance other than for her eating seal meat and the majority of Canadians supported her in that as well...

I'm sure many Canadians are thinking the same thing there's an great canidate in position right now, she's been an excellent GG why the rush to remove her...

he has...Jean...the position can be extended so why not? why change just for the sake of change if everyone is pleased with the person? I've yet to hear any criticsim of her performance other than for her eating seal meat and the majority of Canadians supported her in that as well...

I'm sure many Canadians are thinking the same thing there's an great canidate in position right now, she's been an excellent GG why the rush to remove her...

There's nothing constitutionally preventing it, but at the same time it's largely become a convention that a GG sits for one term. I have no problem with Jean staying, but neither do I see a problem with someone else taking the position.

Most countries have ceremonial presidents and monarch. Wow I didn't know that, thank for filling me in.

While the GG does still have powers, they are seldom used without direction from the PM. What is the point of continuing with this role other than to keep the monarchist happy. Would you truly want an appointed GG to be the person with the most power in the country?

Considering the sheer dangers involved in tearing open the constitution to replace a largely ceremonial GG with a largely ceremonial president, is there a point to altering the system? Unless we're talking about a wholesale change of our system to an American-style or French-styled presidency, what do we gain, and what are the risks of such severe constitutional wrangling?

As I've said before, I'm a Monarchist by default. It's not that I have any particular attachment to the Monarchy, and wouldn't cry a tear if it were replaced, but it seems to me the effort and trouble that would ensue just don't make it worth it. Parliament wouldn't want to abandon its power, so it would literally be a shell game, replacing the GG with an elected official with the same precise powers.

It's hardly a rush; governors general have been serving for approximately five years since we first had a governor general.

I'm pretty much with TB on this one. Jean has not been the perfect vicereine, but, overall, she's done astoundingly well; much better than those that occupied Rideau Hall during the doldrum years - Léger to LeBlanc - beating even Clarkson, I'd say. Still, I'm not devastated to see her go, either, and am rather anticipating the appointment of the next governor general being done this summer by the Queen personally in her Canadian council.

It's hardly a rush; governors general have been serving for approximately five years since we first had a governor general.

but extensions have be granted as well, so there's nothing unusual about keeping around longer either...
I'm pretty much with TB on this one. Jean has not been the perfect vicereine, but, overall, she's done astoundingly well; much better than those that occupied Rideau Hall during the doldrum years - Léger to LeBlanc - beating even Clarkson, I'd say. Still, I'm not devastated to see her go, either, and am rather anticipating the appointment of the next governor general being done this summer by the Queen personally in her Canadian council.

fair enough everyone has an opinion, I'll be disappointed to see her go, and I don't think Ignatieff was out of line suggesting she stay on....