Britain expels Israeli diplomat over Dubai passport row

The Israeli government continues to show the disrespect and arrogance they're known for towards the international community, even towards countries that they are supposed to be close allies with.

The UK is to expel an Israeli diplomat over 12 forged British passports used in the murder of Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in Dubai in January.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband told the Commons there were "compelling reasons" to believe Israel was responsible for the passport "misuse".

Israel has said there is no proof it was behind the killing at a Dubai hotel, and an official confirmed there would be no tit-for-tat diplomatic expulsion.

But Mr Milband said it was "highly likely" the Israeli secret service Mossad was involved and the fact that Israel was a close ally added "insult to injury".

"We have concluded that there are compelling reasons to believe Israel was responsible for the misuse of the British passports."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8582518.stm

Edited by naomiglover

I wonder how well 'highly likely' would work as a defence in court?

But Mr Milband said it was "highly likely" the Israeli secret service Mossad was involved and the fact that Israel was a close ally added "insult to injury".

Israel is guilty? Right? No need for a trial.

:rolleyes:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/02/dubai-assassination-has-hallmarks-of-mossad/

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1970586,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article7028123.ece

Right after the assassination, I was hearing reports saying it was a Mossad hit simply by the way it happened. Don't know maybe they have a signature or a calling card that says it's Mossad.

It's sloppy. I could say that any certain deed looks like the calling card of this or that. But without some evidence...what value is my opinion? After the Spainish train bombing, folks were quick to blame the Basques.

WRONG...buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Edited by DogOnPorch

It's sloppy. I could say that any certain deed looks like the calling card of this or that. But without some evidence...what value is my opinion? After the Spainish train bombing, folks were quick to blame the Basques.

I doubt the UK government would blame Israel if they did not have sufficient proof to believe it was done by Israel.

The Mossad has done a lot of sloppy work. They used to get away with most of it because we didn't have the type of surveilance that we have today. Especially at a high tech place like Dubai.

You obviously have no basis for your comments and are simply talking with your typical unconditional love for israel emotions:

On July 21, 1973, Ahmed Bouchiki, a Moroccan waiter in Lillehammer, Norway, was killed by Mossad while walking with his pregnant wife. He had been mistaken for Ali Hassan Salameh, one of the leaders of Black September, the Palestinian group responsible for the Munich massacre, who had been given shelter in Norway. The Mossad agents had used fake Canadian passports, which angered the Canadian government. Six Mossad agents were arrested, and the incident became known as the Lillehammer affair.[

and recently:

In 1997, two Mossad agents were caught in Jordan, which had signed a peace treaty with Israel, on a mission to assassinate Sheikh Khaled Mashal, a leader of Hamas, by spraying him with poison at a pro-Hamas rally in Amman. Again, they were using fake Canadian passports. This led to a diplomatic row with Canada and Jordan. Israel was forced to provide the antidote to the poison and to release around 70 Palestinian prisoners, in particular the Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, in exchange for the Mossad agents, who would otherwise have faced the death penalty for attempted murder.

I'm sure you have your Wikipedia window open. Look it up.

Edited by naomiglover

Guest American Woman

"We have concluded that there are compelling reasons to believe Israel was responsible for the misuse of the British passports."

So any time there's compelling reasons to believe something, then it's true? If Israel has compelling reasons to believe something negative about Palestine, it's true? Or does it only work that way when it backs your views? Does "compelling reasons" only equal "guilt" when it fits in with your agenda?

This is not the first time that Mossad has used faked passports and has been caught. In addition to the above 2 cases where Canadian passports were used, there are other cases:

In July 2004, New Zealand imposed diplomatic sanctions on Israel over an incident in which two Australian based Israelis, Uriel Kelman and Eli Cara, who were allegedly working for Mossad, attempted to fraudulently obtain New Zealand passports by claiming the identity of a severely disabled man. Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom later apologized to New Zealand for their actions. New Zealand cancelled several other passports believed to have been obtained by Israeli agents.[58] Both Kelman and Cara served half of their six month sentences and, upon release, were deported to Israel. Two others, an Israeli, Ze'ev Barkan, and a New Zealander, David Reznick, are believed to have been the third and fourth men involved in the passport affair but they both managed to leave New Zealand before being apprehended.

So any time there's compelling reasons to believe something, then it's true? If Israel has compelling reasons to believe something negative about Palestine, it's true? Or does it only work that way when it backs your views? Does "compelling reasons" only equal "guilt" when it fits in with your agenda?

Oh give it a rest.

Even in Israel, everyone accepts that it was done by Mossad. Mossad has a long history of assassinations where they've both gotten away with it or they've been caught. It's not just the UK who has concluded that this is a work of Mossad. Dubai also has strong evidence that it was done by Mossad. This is another case of the Israeli government 'neither confirming or denying' that they were behind it.

Well, I know YOU really want Israel to be behind this event. But, like all the others upset over the loss of this terrorist, seem unable to bring forward concrete evidence of actual Israeli involvement. Plenty of speculation...and plenty of folks like yourself ready to accept speculation as fact.

Oh give it a rest.

Even in Israel, everyone accepts that it was done by Mossad. Mossad has a long history of assassinations where they've both gotten away with it or they've been caught. It's not just the UK who has concluded that this is a work of Mossad. Dubai also has strong evidence that it was done by Mossad. This is another case of the Israeli government 'neither confirming or denying' that they were behind it.

Seriously Naomi,and with all due respect...

Who cares?

The CIA has been rightly accussed of the very same things.

The KGB has been accused of the very same things.

The IRA has been accused of the very same things.

This is how business is done in the roughest neighbourhood in the world.Hamas is a terrorist organization.They are hellbent on the destruction of the state of Israel.They've said so and there consitution is even more bizarrely specific.If one of these murderous thugs gets plugged by some of Israel's murderous thugs,using falsified ID documents,I'm not going to lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

Well, I know YOU really want Israel to be behind this event. But, like all the others upset over the loss of this terrorist, seem unable to bring forward concrete evidence of actual Israeli involvement. Plenty of speculation...and plenty of folks like yourself ready to accept speculation as fact.

They are basing their conclusion on evidence. You want to see the evidence, go request it from the UK and Dubai.

This is not the first time Israel has forged UK passports.

It is not the first time British passports have been misused by Israel. In 1987 the country was caught forging UK passports for an intelligence operation, and Israel promised it would not do it again.

On that occasion, eight British passports reckoned to be for Mossad agents were found in a bag in a West German telephone booth.

How many more times does Mossad and Israel have to be caught forging passports before you guys accept that it's not shocking that Israel has forged another country's passports?

At least DogsOnPorch has not repeated his comments about Mossad's quality (sloppy) of work.

Naomi...

Is it your contention that the forging of passports by Mossad agents somehow exhonerates Hamas members from their muderous activities?

No. It does not.

Is it your contention that breaking the law because someone else has broken the law is okay?

No. It does not.

Is it your contention that breaking the law because someone else has broken the law is okay?

So murdering innocent Jews is now simply "breaking the law". Why do you use the same sterile terminology to describe the forging of passports and the murdering of innocent Jews? It's baffling. It is definitely my contention that I'm glad one less terrorist is alive. You can't even bring yourself to describe this piece of shit for what he is - a terrorist, a murderer.... to you, he's simply a criminal.

Your moral compass is broken beyond repair. Why do you make posts about the Mossad allegedly forging passports, which is clearly a huge transgression in your eyes.... yet you make no posts about terrorists murdering Jews and others? Why is our outrage reserved for Israeli transgressions (including justifiable cases such as this one), while you are silent when Jews are the victims of Palestinian/Arab terrorism? In short - what is wrong with you?

No. It does not.

No...But I wonder what you think of Hamas' raison d'etre?And do you think Israel has a right to defend itself against people who are intent on destroying them?

No...But I wonder what you think of Hamas' raison d'etre?And do you think Israel has a right to defend itself against people who are intent on destroying them?

I am against anything that is illegal. This includes, of course, Hamas' suicide and rocket attacks.

Israel has a right to defend itself just like the Palestinians have a right to defend themselves. This of course, if it's done within the context of the law.

Edited by naomiglover

So murdering innocent Jews is now simply "breaking the law". Why do you use the same sterile terminology to describe the forging of passports and the murdering of innocent Jews? It's baffling. It is definitely my contention that I'm glad one less terrorist is alive. You can't even bring yourself to describe this piece of shit for what he is - a terrorist, a murderer.... to you, he's simply a criminal.

Your moral compass is broken beyond repair. Why do you make posts about the Mossad allegedly forging passports, which is clearly a huge transgression in your eyes.... yet you make no posts about terrorists murdering Jews and others? Why is our outrage reserved for Israeli transgressions (including justifiable cases such as this one), while you are silent when Jews are the victims of Palestinian/Arab terrorism? In short - what is wrong with you?

Forging passports and killing civilians in Gaza are both criminal acts and have been concluded to be criminal acts. Why does your moral compass excuse both?

I have never once defended Hamas' actions. There is no reason for me to bring them mostly because there is no debate whether or not suicide attacks or rocket attacks are illegal and criminal.

• 2 months later...