MPP hints at motion at Queens Park to make Toronto 11th Province

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...in many ways. It's a nice place to be from based on the refugees who OD in Hollywood.

The point you missed is that Spain or California (with larger economies than all of Canada), do not have pretender wannabe cities like Toronto.

It's the insurance capital of canada. The banking capital of Canada, which is the only system that didn't implode. The TSX is the third largest market in North America and 6th or 7th largest in the world. Toronto is a world leader in medical research as well.

Toronto only narrowly edged out Madrid, Spain; Philadelphia and Mexico City, Mexico, to hang on at No. 10. Toronto is still the economic heart of one of the world's wealthiest countries, and it's projected to keep humming through 2020. Along with London, Toronto is the fastest growing G7 financial center.

Then there's the Global City Index that has Toronto grouped into "Alpha World City" including: Milan, Madrid, Seoul, Moscow, Brussels, Mumbai, Buenos Aires, Kuala Lumpur

Then there's the global cities index:

In October 2008, the American journal Foreign Policy, in conjunction with consulting firm A.T. Kearney and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, published a ranking of global cities, based on consultation with Saskia Sassen, Witold Rybczynski, and others. Foreign Policy noted that "the world’s biggest, most interconnected cities help set global agendas, weather transnational dangers, and serve as the hubs of global integration. They are the engines of growth for their countries and the gateways to the resources of their regions."[30]

The rankings are based on the evaluation of 24 metrics in five areas: business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural experience, and political engagement. The top thirty of the 60 cities ranked were:

1. New York

2. London

3. Paris

4. Tokyo

5. Hong Kong

6. LA

7. Singapore

8. Chicago

9. Seoul

10. Toronto

That's a grouping with some pretty important cities. It just confirms what I've known for a long time. Why people hate the city so bad I'll never know. However, I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people who do hate it have never been there.

Guest American Woman

Toronto is a world class city in it's own right. It doesn't require your stamp of approval.

Amen to that. I don't know anyone who's been there who doesn't love it. I've also been to NYC, Paris, and London, and I think Toronto holds its own. It's definitely a world class city in its own right.

Edited by American Woman

It's the insurance capital of canada. The banking capital of Canada, which is the only system that didn't implode. The TSX is the third largest market in North America and 6th or 7th largest in the world. Toronto is a world leader in medical research as well.

Is Toronto #1 at anything?

Then there's the Global City Index that has Toronto grouped into "Alpha World City" including: Milan, Madrid, Seoul, Moscow, Brussels, Mumbai, Buenos Aires, Kuala Lumpur

Marvelous I'm sure....I'll bet Toronto is also the bowling capital of Canada.

That's a grouping with some pretty important cities. It just confirms what I've known for a long time. Why people hate the city so bad I'll never know. However, I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people who do hate it have never been there.

Sure are...notice which cities are at the top. That's Toronto's wannabe goal.

Guest American Woman

I hope I get to all of those eventually. After Ottawa and Quebec City this year, Washington D.C. is next on my places to go list.

I've been to Ottawa too (once during the Tulip Festival), very beautiful city, as is Washington, DC around the mall. Haven't been to Quebec City, though, so maybe some day ....

You're young, so I'm sure you'll get to all the places you hope to. :)

If I like it, I'll probably have to go back to Quebec City. I only have a couple of days there.

I think Quebec City was nice. I'd go back. I've been during the spring and during Carnival and Carnival was an amazing experience. Paris takes a solid 10 days to do. Washington I've been to 3 times and it's ok. The museums are good but were too Americentric for me; unlike in Paris. Paris has everything from everywhere whereas, naturally of course, most of the stuff in Washington is American. Not to say it isn't cool stuff to see, it really is, but there isn't as much selection in terms of world history in Washington as there are in places like Paris, Amsterdam and Berlin. I've been to London but I was there for 14 hours on a night layover between Paris and Toronto. I'd like to go back for a week but it's really expensive.

Guest American Woman

If I like it, I'll probably have to go back to Quebec City. I only have a couple of days there.

In that case, from what I've read and heard, I'm sure you'll go back. :)

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by American Woman

Is Toronto #1 at anything?

Marvelous I'm sure....I'll bet Toronto is also the bowling capital of Canada.

Sure are...notice which cities are at the top. That's Toronto's wannabe goal.

Where do you live?

Of course toronto carving itself out as its own province is ridiculous. But people like Bill Murdoch fail to recognize that it is toronto that disproportionately absorbs the people from his riding who are gay or lesbian, struggling for employment, dealing with severe health issues that the local hospital cannot address or who are maybe just looking for a more considerable population amongst which to define their future. Any which way you look at it, toronto exists because of and to the benefit of the rest of ontario.

Lighten up Francis....don't tell me there is yet another hate speech law that makes it illegal to say that Toronto Sucks!

I don't get it. Are you saying that being evasive doesn't make it easier for you to criticize without personal accountability? You can't get into a boxing match over the phone, sweetie.