Kenney Pulls Gay Rights from Citizenship Guide

good of you to see the light - to come around... unfortunately Conservative Immigration Jason Kenney is not as open-minded as you. It reads like you may have an inside track - could you please have a talk with Mr. Kenney and provide your new found enlightenment to him.

Another elitist gay activist. Where's waldo? He's here on MLW

Edited by MontyBurns

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You tell us why the left makes a special case for gays over everyone else.

I don't know. Why did the civil rights movement make such a big deal about African Americans back in the 1950s and 1960s?

Maybe it's because in both cases, a group was unfairly discriminated against, and in many cases, by very large segments of the larger society.

I'm just wondering why you're restraining yourself. You clearly don't like homosexuals, but are arguing around it. Do you think we can't figure out that you're a bigot? Do you think talking in some sort of weird code will fool us?

Another elitist gay activist. Where's waldo? He's here on MLW

another rubber-boot thundering gaycist. Monty... c'mon... with all the tell-tale signs that Smithers plays 'for the other side'... have you guys ever got it on? Did you like it? You should consider coming out - free yourself from your embittered past... just say yes, Monty!

You clearly don't like homosexuals, but are arguing around it. Do you think we can't figure out that you're a bigot? Do you think talking in some sort of weird code will fool us?

I never said I didn't like homosexuals.

I'm not a bigot. Read my posts.

You're the biased one here. You think one "special group" outweighs everyone else.

You have the answer. Why does one particular group outweigh all the others? Everybody is equal right?

I'm asking you to explain HOW you feel there are "special rights." You don't need to further establish that you think this. I know that.

Your only seems to be that "the left" concentrates most heavily on gay issues.

First of all, that doesn't explain how homosexuals have "special rights."

Second, it's not true anyway.

I never said I didn't like homosexuals.

I'm not a bigot. Read my posts.

You're the biased one here. You think one "special group" outweighs everyone else.

Your argument is typical of homophobes. It amounts to "I don't mind gays as long as they keep their heads down." It's what passes for an egalitarian argument from bigots like yourself.

Edited by ToadBrother

Notwithstanding the chattering moron contingent here with their talk of "special rights", it seems Kenney himself is, well, a big fat liar. From the Globe:

The gay-rights group Egale Canada met with the minister in early December after learning the booklet made no reference to gay and lesbian rights, and is negotiating with the department to have them included in the next printing, about a year away.

Mr. Kenney told the group that gay rights had been "overlooked" when the guide was being prepared, executive director Helen Kennedy said in an interview from Toronto.

No, by the fact that he claims it was "overlooked" when it was in the original copy and purposefully deleted is proof enough of him being a liar.

The claim that it was "overlooked" came not from Kenney's mouth, but from that of a leader of a gay activist organisation. You do understand the difference, right?

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

It's what passes for an egalitarian argument from bigots like yourself.

That isn't a fair statement. I said 2 things:

1)everybody has rights in Canada

and

2)gays do NOT have rights above and beyond anybody else.

What is your problem with these statements?

That isn't a fair statement. I said 2 things:

1)everybody has rights in Canada

and

2)gays do NOT have rights above and beyond anybody else.

What is your problem with these statements?

The problem is that nobody thinks gays should have rights above and beyond anybody else.

No one.

Only the people who have something against gays ever claim that gays get, or demand, "special rights."

No one else thinks this, or says it.

Only anti-gay folks say it. That's it. Period.

So that's the problem with your statement.

The problem is that nobody thinks gays should have rights above and beyond anybody else.

No one.

Only the people who have something against gays ever claim that gays get, or demand, "special rights."

No one else thinks this, or says it.

Only anti-gay folks say it. That's it. Period.

So that's the problem with your statement.

OK. If they aren't special then why mention them in the pamphlet?

You want a special recognition in the pamphlet but then say they aren't special.

Edited by MontyBurns

Why don't we put a section in about evangelical Christians? Not so tolerant now are we? Evangelicals aren't your "special" buddies.

If Evangelicals had only recently been afforded the same rights as everyone else, you might have a point.

If Evangelicals had ever been a repressed group--instead of having their own boy as PM--maybe you'd be on to somehting.

Besides, let's get serious: you guys aren't suddenly worried about "special rights" because of this pamphlet. For a long time now, y'all have been whining about all the "special rights" afforded to gay people.

without ever being able to name a single one.

What about straight/normal people's rights?

What about pet rights?

What about animal rights?

What about plant life rights?

Is there any mention of any of these?

Well that's shocking. So Kenney doesn't make mention of normal people, my pets, animals and plant life? Well that must mean he doesn't agree that these should have rights at all then.

When's the riot scheduled?

What about straight/normal people's rights?

What about pet rights?

What about animal rights?

What about plant life rights?

Is there any mention of any of these?

Well that's shocking. So Kenney doesn't make mention of normal people, my pets, animals and plant life? Well that must mean he doesn't agree that these should have rights at all then.

When's the riot scheduled?

You guys have been shrieking about "special rights" for homosexuals long before this pamphlet was under discussion.

You guys have been shrieking about "special rights" for homosexuals long before this pamphlet was under discussion.

Ok?

So...again--yet again--I am asking what are these "special rights" you guys have been complaining about?

One more dodge of this perfectly legitimate question--which is by definition germane to the discussion--and we're going to take it as a concession, that you guys fully admit you're talking out of your behinds.

The content (or lack of it) wasn't a big deal when the pamphlet came out six months ago? Why is it a big deal now? There were likely hundreds of comprimises made as to how much detail should be included. Here's what the pamphlet says:

Discrimination

There are laws to protect workers from discrimination. For example, an employer must hire employees on the basis of their qualifications. Employers cannot refuse to hire you because they dont like your skin colour or your religion. This is discrimination. It is also discrimination if you are refused a job because of your age, sex, marital status, disability or sexual orientation.

What more needs to be said?

Edited by Keepitsimple

What more needs to be said?

Well, specific mention of the abolition of slavery and the women's vote, apparently. I guess the right to be openly gay is supposed to rank on par with those historical events. A bit over-expectant, I'd say, though, seeing as gay rights are only a small part of the overall sexual liberation of our society. If anything, that bigger shift should've been mentioned, for the sake of newly arrived immigrants from more repressive cultures, not simply what people who call themselves gay can now do.

[c/e]

Edited by g_bambino