Canadian Government Guilty of Violating Khadr's Rights

Dead is dead.

Fact remains when Canadians are facing the death penalty the Foreign Affairs office takes extra measures. And it matters not what country they may be in.

Khadr is in no danger of being executed.

Perhaps not, but as Khadr's rights go so go the rights of any Canadian, according to the whims of the government instead of the law.

Our government is acting more like Saudi Arabia's in Khadr's case.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rights?

The man was apprehended for abusing the rights of our allies! He was involved in the machinations of individuals and groups that sought to inflict harm upon people. He traveled thousands of miles and risked his life to do so. There was both intent and accomplishment of his desires involved and both of these things he did at the expense of others. He was caught in the act and detained. All because of his wants and desires.

I say let him wait his turn for "justice".

It could just be the method of death that's got our attention. Would you be happier if the penalty for Kohail was more humane, say by injection or hanging?

it's gruesome but beheading is very humane...beheading results in instantaneous unconsciousness, it's like flicking off a light switch... Edited by wyly

Rights?

The man was apprehended for abusing the rights of our allies! He was involved in the machinations of individuals and groups that sought to inflict harm upon people. He traveled thousands of miles and risked his life to do so. There was both intent and accomplishment of his desires involved and both of these things he did at the expense of others. He was caught in the act and detained. All because of his wants and desires.

So is this the opinion the SCC or the whim of the government?

it's gruesome but beheading is very humane...beheading results in instantaneous unconsciousness, it's like flicking off a light switch...

What about the political incorrectness of an ally beheading a Canadian though? A lot of effort has been expended on highlighting the barbarism of the enemies practice of beheading people.

Rights?

Not quite.

I do look forward to seeing him judge fairly, not by a kangaroo court or some such. It's been quite a long wait... clearly something is wrong with the case.

What about the political incorrectness of an ally beheading a Canadian though? A lot of effort has been expended on highlighting the barbarism of the enemies practice of beheading people.

A lot of effort has been expended on highlighting the barbarism of the death penalty.

You inclusion of the extra judicial executions by murderes just highlights how far out in la la land you are.

A lot of effort has been expended on highlighting the barbarism of the death penalty.

What about this guy, Ronald Smith. Not saying I think he's innocent or whatever, but I heard he was not getting the usual support from our government to intervene when there is a death penalty. it appears that if the US wants to kill a Canadian citizen, then it's ok. Because they are a "democracy". This comment came directly from Peter Mackay, I think.

What about this guy, Ronald Smith. Not saying I think he's innocent or whatever, but I heard he was not getting the usual support from our government to intervene when there is a death penalty.

After more than 20 years of seeking clemency for him, the federal government has decided it will no longer fight to save the life of a man Prime Minister Stephen Harper called a “double murderer” -- and that any move to “repatriate” Smith to a prison in this country “would send the wrong signal” to Canadians about violent crime.

After 20 years...I would say he has got his full share of tax payer funded advocacy...lets hope Khadr gets 20 years as well.

After 20 years...I would say he has got his full share of tax payer funded advocacy...

He also continues getting three squares a day plus accommodation, which we don't have to pay for.

lets hope Khadr gets 20 years as well.

That's for one count. Add additional years for other convictions to run consecutively. That severely reduces Omar's chances at reproduction, which is a blessing in itself.

For the record, once Khadr has been dealt with by the US, I have no problem repatriating him to serve his time at some high security Canadan prison.

Same here. Provided the Canadian justice system doesn't "tinker" with whatever sentence the US imposes on Khadr, which would result in a significant reduction of time spent behind bars. Well, I can dream can't I?

For the record, once Khadr has been dealt with by the US, I have no problem repatriating him to serve his time at some high security Canadan prison.

You don't have to go on record, it's patently obvious you're in that 1/3 or so of Canadians with moral compass's that are badly out of adjustment.

that 1/3 or so of Canadians with moral compass's that are badly out of adjustment.

Coincidentally, 1/3 (or 33%) is also the number of Canadians who pretty well demonstrate support for the Conservatives. But of course, you didn't have that fact in mind when you made that observation, did you?

You don't have to go on record, it's patently obvious you're in that 1/3 or so of Canadians with moral compass's that are badly out of adjustment.

That number you bandy about so readily assumes that 1/2 of those don't know sqaut about the little rotter...nor does it indicate how many would like him jailed in Canada.

I assume though you represent the 2% who feel the kid dersrves a commendation for being an american killing terrorist....

Moral compass my ass

Same here. Provided the Canadian justice system doesn't "tinker" with whatever sentence the US imposes on Khadr, which would result in a significant reduction of time spent behind bars. Well, I can dream can't I?

I have a hard time balancing "don't tinker with" and "whatever sentence the US imposes on Khadr".

If he gets 10 years or 30....and is repatriated, I have to assume the agreement would mean he serves exactly the same time he would serve in the US.

Although I don't see what good coming here will do. Even Eyeball thinks his Mother is evil....do we allow the evil mommy to see her Son? I doubt the US would allow her entry into America.

That number you bandy about so readily assumes that 1/2 of those don't know sqaut about the little rotter...nor does it indicate how many would like him jailed in Canada.

1/3 or so reflects the other 2/3 who, for seemingly moral reasons, want the government to repatriate Khadr.

I assume though you represent the 2% who feel the kid dersrves a commendation for being an american killing terrorist....

No, I simply don't think he deserves to be punished for his parent's having forced him into their conflict with the west.

Moral compass my ass

Oh, is that where you left it?

Coincidentally, 1/3 (or 33%) is also the number of Canadians who pretty well demonstrate support for the Conservatives. But of course, you didn't have that fact in mind when you made that observation, did you?

No, as far as I'm concerned this is entirely about Canada's values. If you think I give the Liberals any more credence for sharing or reflecting these values than the Conservatives you'd be wrong.

The only thing I could ever say about these two parties that might be construed as 'support' is that I merely loath the Liberals whereas I fear the Conservatives.

In any case, I think I have made it more than obvious that I hold Canada responsible for violating Khadr's right's. The fact the two above mentioned parties are the only one's that have been in control of our government is just what it is, a co-incidence.

1/3 or so reflects the other 2/3 who, for seemingly moral reasons, want the government to repatriate Khadr.

Two thirds would be 66%, right? The latest poll I find is dated early this month and shows 40% want him repatriated. That's 26% less support for repatriation than you claim.

40% would leave Khadr to face trial by military commission in Guantanamo Bay; 40% demand Khadr’s repatriation to face due process under Canadian law

47% think Khadr will not get a fair trial in Guantanamo

54% do not feel sympathy for Khadr's plight

48% agree with recent Supreme Court ruling stating that the federal government cannot be forced to repatriate Khadr

http://www.visioncritical.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/2010.02.03_Khadr_CAN.pdf

Two thirds would be 66%, right? The latest poll I find is dated early this month and shows 40% want him repatriated. That's 26% less support for repatriation than you claim.

http://www.visioncritical.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/2010.02.03_Khadr_CAN.pdf

Thanks for the link. I was basing my number on the Wiki link I provided. Your's is better.

I'm not surprised to see this issue is polarizing Canadians. It's obviously hardening our feelings towards one another too which is why I never supported going to Afghanistan in the first place.

This month, there are some striking differences in Western Canada, where a majority of Albertans (54%) would leave Khadr in Guantanamo Bay and an almost identical proportion of British Columbians (57%) voice support for his repatriation.

I wish Alberta would just do the decent thing and separate from Canada.

I wish Alberta would just do the decent thing and separate from Canada.

let's not be hasty...give it 2 yrs and most of Alberta's red necked, backwoods, hillbillys will be dead, there is rational sanity in the post boomer generation and even more in the one after that...