UFC's Lesnar berates Canadian health care...

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if they had additional insurance. My parents are retired and have had heart surgeries at Mayo, completely covered. And they don't own a million dollars worth of houses.

I repeat. That $600,000 could buy them supplemental insurance with a lot left over.

I'm not going to pretend that I know the finer details of their scenario. But I do know that supplemental (even in the most basic form) is quite expensive in the US. It does seem that the better option in terms of quality access vs. cost for them is to pay taxes to and utilize in Québec.

I'm not going to pretend that I know the finer details of their scenario. But I do know that supplemental (even in the most basic form) is quite expensive in the US. It does seem that the better option in terms of quality access vs. cost for them is to pay taxes to and utilize in Québec.

True....unless they want a third term abortion in Quebec. Then it's off to the USA! :lol:

:lol:

Why?....the forum engine is American, the hosting service is American, the vast majority of OS' used are American, the preferred search engine is American, the CPUs are American, and an American (Al Gore) invented the Internet! :P

No one is doubting the great accomplishments of the american empire, but I do question your implied contribution. I suspect that you're just a taxpayer.

Guest American Woman

Just how expensive do you "know" Medicare supplemental insurance (even in the most basic form) to be?? An answer to that would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

They're 75 years old. If they live to be 95, that $600,000 would break down to $30,000 a year, and that's not including interest they could earn on it. If they plan on living to be 105, it breaks down to $20,000 without interest.

Please don't tell me you don't think they could get supplemental insurance for that, much less without anything left over.

As I said, both of my parents have had heart surgery at Mayo, completely covered. And again. They are no where near owning a million dollars in real estate.

Edited by American Woman

Just how expensive do you "know" Medicare supplemental insurance (even in the most basic form) to be?? An answer to that would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

They're 75 years old. If they live to be 95, that $600,000 would break down to $30,000 a year, and that's not including interest they could earn on it. If they plan on living to be 105, it breaks down to $20,000 without interest.

Please don't tell me you don't think they could get supplemental insurance for that, much less without anything left over.

As I said, both of my parents have had heart surgery at Mayo, completely covered. And again. They are no where near owning a million dollars in real estate.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm happy to provide you with all of the answers in the world once they return.

...quality of care does vary by location.

as it does any any country event the US...and not only by state but by race as well
Survival rates varied among the 16 states and six metropolitan areas included in the study.

Idaho had the best survival rates for rectal cancer in men and Seattle was highest for rectal cancer in women. Patients in Seattle also had the best survival rates for prostate cancer. For all other cancers studied, patients in Hawaii had the highest survival rates.

Patients in New York City had the lowest survival rates for all four cancers except rectal cancer in both men and women. For those, patients in Wyoming had the lowest survival rate.

A racial gap in survival was evident, with white patients more likely than blacks to survive, especially breast cancer. "The comparison is confirmed right across the USA, in all 16 states," Coleman says of the racial gap.

things don't look for a black men with rectal cancer in Wyoming, or if you're black anywhere in the US

Guest American Woman

As I mentioned earlier, I'm happy to provide you with all of the answers in the world once they return.

You're going to have to wait until they can tell you what you think? Ummmmm. Ok. :P

as it does any any country event the US...and not only by state but by race as well

You keep missing the glaring difference...there is no CHA imperative in the USA. Accordingly, why aren't ALL Canadians given access to equal care?

things don't look for a black men with rectal cancer in Wyoming, or if you're black anywhere in the US

The Mayo Clinic is one hour away should my black rectum ever need it. Meanwhile, back in Canada, they still rely mostly on the cheaper FOBT instead of more expensive and effective endoscopy.

Where does it say that care has to be universal across the country?

The aim of the CHA is
to ensure that all eligible residents of Canada
have reasonable access to insured health services on a prepaid basis, without direct charges at the point of service for such services.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/medi-assur/cha-lcs/overview-apercu-eng.php

The aim of the CHA is
to ensure that all eligible residents of Canada
have reasonable access to insured health services on a prepaid basis, without direct charges at the point of service for such services.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/medi-assur/cha-lcs/overview-apercu-eng.php

And right after your bold, it says REASONABLE ACCESS. It doesn't say equal access.

It's not only black people. Latinos, and those from certain geographic regions (kentucky, southern texas, etc) either do not have reasonable access or are physically abused by the system in the name of profiteering. Here's an articulate account of one region's experience:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande