Santa Claus

Topaz

I'm just wondering since we're all adults here, how did you feel when you found out there wasn't a Santa? A group of us have talked about this and almost all said they were hurt and disappointed. I truly believe Christmas is for kids but are we really doing them harm by lying to them? Should we instead talk about the three wise men that brought gifts to Jesus and that is why we give gifts on Christmas day? Thoughts?

I truly believe Christmas is for kids but are we really doing them harm by lying to them?
You don't need to lie. If asked directly - say I don't know if it is true but that is what the story says. When my kids got old enough to ask direct questions that could not be reflected I responded: 'do you really want to spoil the fun?'. For a couple years they went a long anyways.

Guest American Woman
I'm just wondering since we're all adults here, how did you feel when you found out there wasn't a Santa? A group of us have talked about this and almost all said they were hurt and disappointed. I truly believe Christmas is for kids but are we really doing them harm by lying to them? Should we instead talk about the three wise men that brought gifts to Jesus and that is why we give gifts on Christmas day? Thoughts?

From the time my kids were old enough, I talked to them about the real Saint Nicholas:

The tradition of Saint Nicholas Day, usually on 6 December, is a festival for children in many countries in Europe related to surviving legends of the saint, and particularly his reputation as a bringer of gifts. The American Santa Claus, as well as the Anglo-Canadian and British Father Christmas, derive from these legends.

I also told them that St. Nicholas acted out of love, telling them that Santa is love, so when it came time to talk about "Santa's" existence, or lack thereof, it wasn't a disappointment as they saw Santa as a symbol of a real person, and as love, which of course exists. So they never felt as if they had been lied to and it didn't bother them at all to learn that the modern day Santa was a symbol of a real person, and that we carry out his tradition out of love.

From the time my kids were old enough, I talked to them about the real Saint Nicholas:

The tradition of Saint Nicholas Day, usually on 6 December, is a festival for children in many countries in Europe related to surviving legends of the saint, and particularly his reputation as a bringer of gifts. The American Santa Claus, as well as the Anglo-Canadian and British Father Christmas, derive from these legends.

I also told them that St. Nicholas acted out of love, telling them that Santa is love, so when it came time to talk about "Santa's" existence, or lack thereof, it wasn't a disappointment as they saw Santa as a symbol of a real person, and as love, which of course exists. So they never felt as if they had been lied to and it didn't bother them at all to learn that the modern day Santa was a symbol of a real person, and that we carry out his tradition out of love.

That is a really good approach to the situation. I would not have thought of explaining why the name exists in the first place. Good job!!

I had more or less pieced things together on my own by the time I spoke to my parents about it. I don't recall feeling any disappointment at all. I thought it was nice that they tried to maintain the illusion.

I was, however, extremely disappointed to learn that Santa is actually just a drunk-driving fat-ass who promotes an unhealthy lifestyle.

-k

Guest American Woman
That is a really good approach to the situation. I would not have thought of explaining why the name exists in the first place. Good job!!

Thank you. :)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Edited by American Woman