Appointments: Merit-based or Patronage?

Why people seem surprised at patronage appointments escapes me. What else can you expect from this form of government? People always try to help out their friends, thats human nature. It is one of the reasons I would like to see major changes. Until that change does occur, all I can say is that we are getting what we want from our government because our government knows no better and nothing better is expected from them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Parliament may be suspended, but patronage appointments continue:

2010-0069 2010-01-14

PTB

Public Sector Pension Investment Board Act

Reappointment of CHERYL BARKER of Falcon Lake, Manitoba, as a director of the Public Sector Pension Investment Board to hold office during good behaviour for a term of four years.

Cheryl Barker gave $1,000 to the CPC in 2008, and another $1,000 to the CPC in 2009. I suspect she is the same Cheryl Barker who also gave $1,000/year to the CPC in 2004, 2006, and 2007.

2010-0062 2010-01-14

PMO

International Boundary Waters Treaty Act

Appointment of the Honourable JOSEPH COMUZZI, P.C., of Thunder Bay, Ontario, as a Commissioner of the International Joint Commission, to hold office for a term of four years, effective January 15, 2010.

Joe Comuzzi is a former Ontario Liberal MP who crossed the floor to become a Conservative.

2010-0060 2010-01-14

HERITAGE

Museums Act

Approval of the appointment by the Minister of Canadian Heritage of GARY POLONSKY of Courtice, Ontario, as Chairperson of the Board of Trustees of the National Museum of Science and Technology to hold office during pleasure for a term of four years.

Gary Polonsky gave $240 to Bev Oda's riding association in 2006 and $212.39 to Tony Clement's riding association in 2008.

2010-0054 2010-01-14

HRSD

Employment Insurance Act

Appointment of LYNN MARY FAULDER of Edmonton, Alberta, to be Chairperson of the Boards of Referees for the Alberta Regional Division, and particularly for the District of Edmonton, for a term of three years.

Lynn Faulder was a provincial Alberta PC candidate in 1993 and 1997. Doug Faulder gave $375 to Rona Ambrose's riding association in 2006.

2010-0051 2010-01-14

HRSD

Employment Insurance Act

Appointment of CHRISTIAN MÉTHOT of Drummondville, Quebec, to be Chairperson of the Boards of Referees for the Quebec Regional Division, and particularly for the District of Centre du Québec, for a term of three years.

Christian Méthot gave $400 to the CPC riding association in Drummond in 2008 and $125 in 2006.

Export Development Act

Approval of the reappointment by the Minister for International Trade of NORMAN BETTS of Storeytown, New Brunswick, as a director of the Board of Directors of Export Development Canada, to hold office during pleasure for a term of three years, effective February 9, 2010.

Norman Betts gave $359 to the CPC riding association in Fredericton in 2006.

2010-0046 2010-01-14

IT

Export Development Act

Approval of the appointment by the Minister for International Trade of DARLENE THIBAULT of Laval, Quebec, as a director of the Board of Directors of Export Development Canada, to hold office during pleasure for a term of three years.

Darlene Thibault gave $1,000 to the CPC riding association in Riviere-des-Mille-iles in 2008. Note: Name is spelled 'Darleen' on the riding association's financial return.

Standards Council of Canada Act

Re-appointment of HELENE M. LeFEBVRE of Calgary, Alberta, as be a member of the Standards Council of Canada, to hold office during pleasure for a term of four years.

Helene Lefebvre gave $1,100/year to the CPC in 2008 and 2009. She also gave $1,100 to Stephen Harper's riding association in 2007 and $500 in 2006.

2010-0043 2010-01-14

INDUSTRY

Business Development Bank of Canada Act

Approval of the appointment by the Minister of Industry of ROGER DEMERS of Lévis, Quebec, as a director of the Board of Directors of the Business Development Bank of Canada to hold office during pleasure for a term of four years.

Roger Demers gave $350 to the CPC riding association in Portneuf--Jacques Cartier in 2008.

Royal Canadian Mint Act

Approval of the re-appointment by the Minister of Transport of GHISLAIN HARVEY of Ville de la Baie, Quebec, as a director of the Board of Directors of the Royal Canadian Mint to hold office during pleasure for a term of two years, effective January 29, 2010.

Ghislain Harvey gave $826 to Jean-Pierre Blackburn's riding association in 2008 and $850 in 2007.

Edited by robert_viera

Parliament may be suspended, but patronage appointments continue:

Cheryl Barker gave $1,000 to the CPC in 2008, and another $1,000 to the CPC in 2009. I suspect she is the same Cheryl Barker who also gave $1,000/year to the CPC in 2004, 2006, and 2007.

Joe Comuzzi is a former Ontario Liberal MP who crossed the floor to become a Conservative.

Gary Polonsky gave $240 to Bev Oda's riding association in 2006 and $212.39 to Tony Clement's riding association in 2008.

Lynn Faulder was a provincial Alberta PC candidate in 1993 and 1997. Doug Faulder gave $375 to Rona Ambrose's riding association in 2006.

Christian Méthot gave $400 to the CPC riding association in Drummond in 2008 and $125 in 2006.

Norman Betts gave $359 to the CPC riding association in Fredericton in 2006.

Darlene Thibault gave $1,000 to the CPC riding association in Riviere-des-Mille-iles in 2008. Note: Name is spelled 'Darleen' on the riding association's financial return.

Helene Lefebvre gave $1,100/year to the CPC in 2008 and 2009. She also gave $1,100 to Stephen Harper's riding association in 2007 and $500 in 2006.

Roger Demers gave $350 to the CPC riding association in Portneuf--Jacques Cartier in 2008.

Ghislain Harvey gave $826 to Jean-Pierre Blackburn's riding association in 2008 and $850 in 2007.

Wow those are "cheap" appointments considering most donations are less then a thousand, if you go by those criteria I should have had an appointment since I donated in the 04 Campaign a couple of hundred bucks.

I see no point to this thread in the context that is continually being provided. On one hand, we want people to care about politics - and for young people to get involved in the political process. Obviously, that means eventually alligning themselves with a party that best represents their views - and maybe changing that view from time to time. I used to consider myself a Liberal when I was younger and now I lean fairly heavily to Conservative thinking. This thread concludes that anyone who has made a donation to the ruling political party - no matter how small - is somehow deemed inappropriate for a government job. That's ludicrous.

I see no point to this thread in the context that is continually being provided. On one hand, we want people to care about politics - and for young people to get involved in the political process. Obviously, that means eventually alligning themselves with a party that best represents their views - and maybe changing that view from time to time. I used to consider myself a Liberal when I was younger and now I lean fairly heavily to Conservative thinking. This thread concludes that anyone who has made a donation to the ruling political party - no matter how small - is somehow deemed inappropriate for a government job. That's ludicrous.

First, this thread only includes appointees who have made contributions over $200. Second, these are supposed to be government appointments, not political appointments. I agree that contributing to a political party should not disqualify a person from receiving a government appointment, however, when the appointments go overwhelmingly to supporters of the ruling party, we have a problem. The only consideration should be finding the best person for the job, regardless of whether they are supporters of the ruling party. Patronage may be a traditional practice, but that doesn't make it right, and it's a practice that this government promised to put an end to.

First, this thread only includes appointees who have made contributions over $200. Second, these are supposed to be government appointments, not political appointments. I agree that contributing to a political party should not disqualify a person from receiving a government appointment, however, when the appointments go overwhelmingly to supporters of the ruling party, we have a problem. The only consideration should be finding the best person for the job, regardless of whether they are supporters of the ruling party. Patronage may be a traditional practice, but that doesn't make it right, and it's a practice that this government promised to put an end to.

So you can prove that these people aren't qualified?

So again I ask, can you prove they are not qualified for the jobs they have been given?

I know I lack the qualifications to be GG-

How much did you give them?

But I think I'd be suited. I don't support any party but will kick in $5K to any party or combo of parties for a five year appointment.

How are my chances?

It is never too late to start your carear as a buddist tranny reporter who is on her/his knees a lot?

You know the out spoken type.

I hear both Mckay and Bernier are into those types of women.

(the buddist part is optional but may help with dealing with the position)

Edited by William Ashley

So again I ask, can you prove they are not qualified for the jobs they have been given?

I guess you missed this part:

I never said any of these people aren't qualified. An appointee doesn't have to be unqualified for an appointment to be patronage.

Please show other posters the courtesy of reading their posts before replying.

I guess you missed this part:

Please show other posters the courtesy of reading their posts before replying.

Lets see you show a little respect.

You tell me why these people are unqualified to hold the jobs they were given. You are the one asserting they should not have been appointed, so prove your case.

It is never too late to start your carear as a buddist tranny reporter who is on her/his knees a lot?

So you are stating that both Madame Clarkson and Madame Jean sucked their way into their jobs? That seems a little harsh.

By the way, is this one of your posts that were hijacked by the mods and reposted with spelling and grammatical mistakes?

Lets see you show a little respect.

You tell me why these people are unqualified to hold the jobs they were given. You are the one asserting they should not have been appointed, so prove your case.

Go back and read post #6 in this thread:

I didn't say these people aren't qualified either, but if you have multiple qualified people and one is connected to the ruling party, who do you think is going to get the appointment?

You're confusing patronage with cronyism:

Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronyism
In some countries the term is used to describe political patronage, which is the use of state resources to reward individuals for their electoral support. Some patronage systems are legal, as in the Canadian tradition of allowing the Prime Minister to appoint the heads of a number of commissions and agencies; in many cases, these appointments go to people who have supported the political party of the Prime Minister.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronage

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the latest appointments:

2010-0179 2010-02-10

AGRI-FOOD

Farm Credit Canada Act

Approval of the reappointment by the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food of BRAD HANMER of Govan, Saskatchewan, as a director of the Board of Directors of Farm Credit Canada to hold office during pleasure for a term of three years.

Brad's father, Ronald Hanmer, gave $550 to the CPC in 2008 and $420 to the Regina-Lumsden-Lake Centre Conservative riding association in 2007.

2010-0174 2010-02-10

HERITAGE

Museums Act

Approval of the appointment by the Minister of Canadian Heritage of JEAN-FRANÇOIS BÉLAND of Gatineau, Quebec, as a trustee of the Board of Trustees of the National Gallery of Canada to hold office during pleasure for a term of four years, in the place of Mandeep (Roshi) K. Chadha.

Jean-François Béland gave $1,000 to the Louis-Hébert Conservative riding association in 2007.

2010-0173 2010-02-10

HERITAGE

Museums Act

Approval of the appointment by the Minister of Canadian Heritage of FLORENCE MINZ of Toronto, Ontario, as Chairperson of the Board of Trustees of the Canadian Museum of Nature to hold office during pleasure for a term of four years.

Florence Minz gave $1,000 to the CPC in 2008 and another $1,000 to the CPC in 2009. She also gave $1,100 to the Thornhill Conservative riding association and $500 to the Trinity-Spadina Conservative riding association in 2008. She gave $216.98 to the Toronto Centre Conservative riding association in 2007.

2010-0171 2010-02-10

CITIZENSHIP

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

Reappointment of KENNETH DAVID ATKINSON of St. Catharines, Ontario, as a full-time member of the Immigration and Refugee Board (Toronto Regional Office), to hold office during good behaviour, for a term of five years, effective June 4, 2010.

Kenneth Atkinson is (or was) a director of the St. Catharines Conservative riding association.

2010-0168 2010-02-10

CITIZENSHIP

Citizenship Act

Appointment of MARC NADEAU of Sherbrooke, Quebec, to be a citizenship judge for a term of three years on a part-time basis.

Marc Nadeau is the CEO of the Sherbrooke Conservative riding association.

2010-0165 2010-02-10

HRSD

Canada Pension Plan

Re-appointment of ROBERT REAGH MacARTHUR of Cornwall, Prince Edward Island, as a member of the Review Tribunal for the region of Charlottetown for a term of three years, effective April 30, 2010.

Robert MacArthur gave $297 to the Charlottetown Conservative riding association in 2006.

2010-0160 2010-02-10

HRSD

Canada Pension Plan

Re-appointment of PATRICK MICHAEL O'NEIL of Kingsville, Ontario, as a member of the Review Tribunal for the region of Windsor for a term of three years, effective March 5, 2010.

Patrick O'Neil gave $400 to the CPC in 2008 and another $400 to the CPC in 2009. He also gave $400 to the Essex Conservative riding association in 2007.

2010-0158 2010-02-10

HRSD

Canada Pension Plan

Re-appointment of VALERIE ANNE HAZLETT PARKER of Whitby, Ontario, as a member of the Review Tribunal for the region of Oshawa for a term of three years, effective April 30, 2010.

Valerie's husband, Thomas Parker, gave $637 to the CPC in 2008 and another $637 to the CPC in 2009. He also gave $672 to the Whitby-Oshawa Conservative riding association in 2008.

2010-0153 2010-02-10

HRSD

Employment Insurance Act

Appointment of COLIN ANDREW HUME of Ajax, Ontario, to be Chairperson of the Boards of Referees for the Ontario Regional Division, and particularly for the District of Toronto, for a term of three years.

Colin Hume gave $420 to the Ajax-Pickering Conservative riding association in 2008.

2010-0147 2010-02-10

HRSD

Employment Insurance Act

Reappointment of PATRICK LEBREUX of Sainte-Thérèse-de-Gaspé, Quebec, as Chairperson of the Boards of Referees for the Quebec Regional Division, and particularly for the District of Gaspésie-Les Îles, for a term of three years, effective April 30, 2010.

Patrick Lebreux gave $400 to the CPC in 2009.

2010-0142 2010-02-10

DFAIT

Asia-Pacific Foundation of Canada Act

Re-appointment of VIKRAM KHURANA of Richmond Hill, Ontario, as a director of the Board of Directors of the Asia-Pacific Foundation of Canada to hold office during pleasure for a term of three years.

Vikram Khurana gave $1,100 to the Parry Sound-Muskoka Conservative riding association in 2008.

Some of the latest appointments:

Brad's father, Ronald Hanmer, gave $550 to the CPC in 2008 and $420 to the Regina-Lumsden-Lake Centre Conservative riding association in 2007.

Jean-François Béland gave $1,000 to the Louis-Hébert Conservative riding association in 2007.

Florence Minz gave $1,000 to the CPC in 2008 and another $1,000 to the CPC in 2009. She also gave $1,100 to the Thornhill Conservative riding association and $500 to the Trinity-Spadina Conservative riding association in 2008. She gave $216.98 to the Toronto Centre Conservative riding association in 2007.

Kenneth Atkinson is (or was) a director of the St. Catharines Conservative riding association.

Marc Nadeau is the CEO of the Sherbrooke Conservative riding association.

Robert MacArthur gave $297 to the Charlottetown Conservative riding association in 2006.

Patrick O'Neil gave $400 to the CPC in 2008 and another $400 to the CPC in 2009. He also gave $400 to the Essex Conservative riding association in 2007.

Valerie's husband, Thomas Parker, gave $637 to the CPC in 2008 and another $637 to the CPC in 2009. He also gave $672 to the Whitby-Oshawa Conservative riding association in 2008.

Colin Hume gave $420 to the Ajax-Pickering Conservative riding association in 2008.

Patrick Lebreux gave $400 to the CPC in 2009.

Vikram Khurana gave $1,100 to the Parry Sound-Muskoka Conservative riding association in 2008.

What's your point? Are you implying that these candidates bought a Senate seat for such "mice nuts" donations?

ANY fundraising dinner for ANY party likely would be charging more per plate than some of your listings here!

One would expect that any party loyalist of any stripe would have made such donations. Have you a list for Liberal Senators?

Or are you implying something else?

What's your point? Are you implying that these candidates bought a Senate seat for such "mice nuts" donations?

ANY fundraising dinner for ANY party likely would be charging more per plate than some of your listings here!

One would expect that any party loyalist of any stripe would have made such donations. Have you a list for Liberal Senators?

Or are you implying something else?

The point isn't that these people 'bought' these appointments. The purpose of listing contributions is to show that these people are Conservative supporters. The purpose of patronage appointments has been to reward the party faithful. The problem is that these are supposed to be government appointments, not partisan rewards. The Conservatives campaigned on a promise that they would end this practice.