CAW/UAW

Moonbox

I pay big bucks in union dues. Then again I get paid big bucks to work. I figure 6 digits a year is a good gig. I work lots of hours, but only go to work 8 times one month and 7 times the next. I get 6 weeks of vacation per year, I can get two days off after working 1075 miles, and get the rest of the month off when I get 4300 miles in. On average I get about 14 to 15 days off every month. All thanks to the union I might add.

without knowing what it is you do I will reserve my opinion until I have a better understanding, but I will say this I have not seen a job yet with a high enough stress level to warrent that time off. If I were a private owner and my shop was going to unionize, I would close the doors and out source what i could to china.

without knowing what it is you do I will reserve my opinion until I have a better understanding, but I will say this I have not seen a job yet with a high enough stress level to warrent that time off. If I were a private owner and my shop was going to unionize, I would close the doors and out source what i could to china.

I ride the rails. 28 million pounds of train at a time. Trust me there is a lot of stress in my job. We write federal mandated rules every three years, do not pass and you don't work. 24 hour call 365 days a year. You have no idea when you are coming or going. A trip may take 18 hours there and back or it may take 41 hours. In my view we don't get paid enough.

1.1 Billion was the gross profits for the Company this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2009/11/19/windsor-johnson-strike-091119.html

So that is for that plant or the whole company? If it is the whole company who is to say that plant is making any money. Either way they will do the same as the folks here in Oshawa and price themselves out of the market. The truck plant moved to Mexico with others to follow I'm sure.

Where are all the Union haters to give the great news that a deal was reached late last night? Ohhhh we only post bad news about unions.

I never doubted there would be a deal when I read this article. It was a perfect set of circumstances, circumstances that exists in 99.9% of all collective bargaining.

I ride the rails. 28 million pounds of train at a time. Trust me there is a lot of stress in my job. We write federal mandated rules every three years, do not pass and you don't work. 24 hour call 365 days a year. You have no idea when you are coming or going. A trip may take 18 hours there and back or it may take 41 hours. In my view we don't get paid enough.

Sounds a lot like my job for travel, just a little more stress.

I bet you see some amazing things.

The Feds have lowered corporate taxes to keep companies here but it can't working! I know of a US company in Canada, that pays no taxes in Canada or the US but does in Mexico. They have shifted work to Mexico, where there is a union but the labour cost are 4-6.00 hrly and they do pay Fed taxes there.The quality of workmanship isn't up to Canada or the US, so they have to get other guys in the US to inspect every unit. A lot of the vendors have told this company they don't like Mexican built units so this company got around that by putting on each unit built in Canada, US or Mexico!