CAW/UAW

Moonbox

I thought this was an interesting read.

Strike

The CAW has found a parts plant that appears to be critical to Chrysler's operations in the area. Now I'm not expert or anything, but I would have to suggest that striking immediately after your biggest customer emerges from bankruptcy protection isn't really the greatest idea.

The CAW doesn't appear to be learning any lessons.

Edited by Moonbox

Strike

The CAW has found a parts plant that appears to be critical to Chrysler's operations in the area. Now I'm not expert or anything, but I would have to suggest that striking immediately after your biggest customer emerges from bankruptcy protection isn't really the greatest idea.

Testing to see if the link works now...

Strike

Edited by madmax

Strike

You do know this plant made 1.1 billion in profits this year right and they want to cut workers wages, and benefits. What should they be learning that regardless of how well you do as a working and how good the product you put out is people will hate you fighting for a living wage just because you are in a Union? I think they learned that a long time ago.

You do know this plant made 1.1 billion in profits this year right and they want to cut workers wages, and benefits.

Are you sure your figures are correct? This plant only has 120 Unionized employees, and likely a similar level of office staff. I would be hard pressed to believe it is doing $1.1 Billion in Profits locally.

Unfortuneately the article gives overall figures of $7.3 Billion.

Are you sure your figures are correct? This plant only has 120 Unionized employees, and likely a similar level of office staff. I would be hard pressed to believe it is doing $1.1 Billion in Profits locally.

Unfortuneately the article gives overall figures of $7.3 Billion.

1.1 Billion was the gross profits for the Company this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2009/11/19/windsor-johnson-strike-091119.html

1.1 Billion was the gross profits for the Company this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2009/11/19/windsor-johnson-strike-091119.html

What was the net profit?

What are the wage levels at?

What are the finacial backers of the company entitled to? They hold the financial risk if the company goes belly up.

The employees are entitle to a pay scale of what the market can bear. Not what think they should get. If they don't think they get paid enough they could quit and find a better paying job elsewhere.

Edited by Alta4ever

What was the net profit?

What are the wage levels at?

What are the finacial backers of the company entitled to? They hold the financial risk if the company goes belly up.

The employees are entitle to a pay scale of what the market can bear. Not what think they should get. If they don't think they get paid enough they could quit and find a better paying job elsewhere.

Regardless the Unions says it is willing to extend the strike date and do everything it can to avoid the strike.

...but they can only get what the market will bear. There is no such thing as a better paying job elsewhere. Where-ever they go they will be still only paid what the market will bear.

So, through negotiations and possible strike action, they will soon find out what the market will bear and be paid accordingly.

There is nothing wrong here.

...but they can only get what the market will bear. There is no such thing as a better paying job elsewhere. Where-ever they go they will be still only paid what the market will bear.

So, through negotiations and possible strike action, they will soon find out what the market will bear and be paid accordingly.

There is nothing wrong here.

They should be darn greatful that they have gainfull employement when so many of their union brethern lost theirs.

They have no just reason to strike. Just a sense of entitlement.

Regardless the Unions says it is willing to extend the strike date and do everything it can to avoid the strike.

You should be looking at net profit, just because they have gross profit of 1.1 billion doesn't mean they are actually making anything. How much does the company make after it pays all its expenses.

They should be darn greatful that they have gainfull employement when so many of their union brethern lost theirs.

They have no just reason to strike. Just a sense of entitlement.

Actually there has been no indication whatsoever about the locals reasons for possible strike action. To say they have no just reason to strike without that information is to say there never has been and never will be just reason to strike.

I cannot agree with that. As for entitlement; they are entitled to try to improve their economic position - just like everybody else in this world.

Actually there has been no indication whatsoever about the locals reasons for possible strike action. To say they have no just reason to strike without that information is to say there never has been and never will be just reason to strike.

I cannot agree with that. As for entitlement; they are entitled to try to improve their economic position - just like everybody else in this world.

There hasn't been a valid reason to strike since Canada brought in Federal and Provincial labour employment standard laws.

Edited by Alta4ever

Union bashing time again, but things will work out if the company wants an end to this as much as the workers. Fair bargaining always win out its unfair that spells trouble. http://www.reuters.com/article/reuterscomService5/idUSTRE5AH57S20091118

Calling unions unneeded is not union bashing.

Sometimes you need a union. Sometimes the employer is greedy, sometimes nasty. The unions were the ones that got labour law to where it is today.

So don't work for them, quit and find a better job, their are no monopolies.

The need for unions left half a century ago.

What are you talking about punked? There are no private monopolies in Canada, especially in the auto industry their are four companies with plants in Canada, not to mention how many privately run independent shops that build components for the car companies.

So don't work for them, quit and find a better job, their are no monopolies.

The need for unions left half a century ago.

I pay big bucks in union dues. Then again I get paid big bucks to work. I figure 6 digits a year is a good gig. I work lots of hours, but only go to work 8 times one month and 7 times the next. I get 6 weeks of vacation per year, I can get two days off after working 1075 miles, and get the rest of the month off when I get 4300 miles in. On average I get about 14 to 15 days off every month. All thanks to the union I might add.

The need for a union may or may not exist, but I can tell you I certainly appreciate my union. Did I mention that my company made a few billion in after tax profits last year? Let me say this in closing, unions are a legally expressed desire of employees to have themselves represented in contract negotiations. The unions are sanctioned by law, and that just isn't going to change no matter what folks say.

Go ahead be jealous of the working folks that have a union if you like, but those of us that are members have our say as well.

Hmm. Perhaps 200 employees total - and 1.1 billion in profits. That's about $5 million per employee. I would suggest that all the employees quit tomorrow, go and open your own factory (buying the equipment and getting the needed contracts of course) and then run it yourself.

If those fatcats at head office are holding the union employees back, just go around them.

Edited by OddSox

Hmm. Perhaps 200 employees total - and 1.1 billion in profits. That's about $5 million per employee. I would suggest that all the employees quit tomorrow, go and open your own factory (buying the equipment and getting the needed contracts of course) and then run it yourself.

If those fatcats at head office are holding the union employees back, just go around them.

They have some 50,000 worldwide employees.