Olympics

The US has been eliminated from the 2016 Olympic bid. I think Barack, Michelle and Oprah felt they could pull this off. Oh well, it's a sad day in Obamaville, I think.

Or maybe it doesn't matter? Have the Olympics become nothing but a government boondoggle?

Will the elimination be met by the Obama administration with sour grapes or congratulations for those left in the running? I predict some sour grapes.

I like Rio, myself.

I don't foresee any "sour grapes" at all, from Obama or Oprah. I don't think it's that big a deal.

As for myself, I like Madrid.

I don't think it is that big a deal either but it has to have been a little deflating for both Obama and Oprah who hail from Chicago and would like to have seen it held in their hometown.

We'll see about the sour grapes, I guess.

Guest American Woman
How do you think the U.S. will vote after losing?

It's sort of a tough call since it'll be a political call, I'm sure, but I would have to say Madrid.

I don't think it is that big a deal either but it has to have been a little deflating for both Obama and Oprah who hail from Chicago and would like to have seen it held in their hometown.

We'll see about the sour grapes, I guess.

I think you're right about it having to have been a little deflating for them, so I agree with you there. As for the "sour grapes," I just don't think so. I think they're above that.

And regarding the Olympics, I have to wonder how much support the taxpayers give to their hometowns -- as they likely will be footing a good part of the bill.

It's sort of a tough call since it'll be a political call, I'm sure, but I would have to say Madrid.

The relationship between Spain and the U.S. has been closer than Brazil and the U.S. over the years.

That may have in fact been how the U.S. voted.

In any event, it is Brazil.

Like China, they are likely to put out all the stops in terms of money on the games.

I think you're right about it having to have been a little deflating for them, so I agree with you there. As for the "sour grapes," I just don't think so. I think they're above that.

And regarding the Olympics, I have to wonder how much support the taxpayers give to their hometowns -- as they likely will be footing a good part of the bill.

I wonder if there is not a sense of relief from some Obama people. The games in B.C. for the winter have been divisive.

I'm sure Chicago will be fine. I doubt that we'll hear the sort of wailing and gnashing of teeth that we heard when certain cities lost their bid for the 2008 Olympics.

I think it is neat that Rio de Janeiro will be hosting the Olympics. I'm sure Madrid would have been fine as well, but Spain hosted the summer Olympics not long ago, which I'm sure worked against them. I think I heard that South America has never hosted the Olympics before.

-k

And Republicans again took heat off Obama by acting like idiots. Most Americas are happy Obama tired, and with images like this one are mad that Republicans are happy he failed.

"A man's got to know his limitations". - Harry Callahan

As for Republicans, they are behaving just like Democrats during Bush's term(s).....praying for failure(s).

I wonder how long it will take before someone in the African American community starts playing the race card in all this.

Yeah, because Rio de Janeiro is such a lily-white community.

-k

Guest American Woman
Doesn't Obama have moe pressing matters to attend to rather then this?

My friend from Chicago happened to be visiting me this weekend, and when my brother-in-law said the same thing you did, her response was that this was Obama's hometown, and if he didn't show enough interest to make an effort, there would have been a lot of criticism; so it appears to have been one of those 'damned if he did, damned if he didn't' situations.

The olympics are becoming a nuisance and a waste of money. Who wants to watch a bunch of steroid athletes get high in 2 weeks of so-called glory. There are more important issues in the world

Griz... is something wrong?

Your post doesn't make any mention of First Nations at all. Are you ... feeling ok?

I was hoping to hear how Rio beating out Madrid and Chicago is unfair to aboriginal Canadians. I feel kind of cheated here.

-k

Guest American Woman
The relationship between Spain and the U.S. has been closer than Brazil and the U.S. over the years.

That may have in fact been how the U.S. voted.

That's what I was thinking, too -- though I couldn't find how the U.S. voted.

In any event, it is Brazil.

It's time that South America hosted the Games, so I think it's good that Rio got it.

Like China, they are likely to put out all the stops in terms of money on the games.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure it's a big moment for them, as it was for China.

I wonder if there is not a sense of relief from some Obama people. The games in B.C. for the winter have been divisive.

It's difficult to know, though I would not be surprised if that's true in some respects. The more I hear/read about it, though, I do think it was a blow to Chicago to have been eliminated so decisively right from the get-go. Some say it was a blow to the U.S., as in a show of anti-Americanism. I really don't understand why almost half of those voting are from Europe. Seems as if that's not a very even representation.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure it's a big moment for them, as it was for China.

There are always interesting stories to tell at any Olympics. Obviously, this story will in a large way be about Brazil and South America.

I just don't expect earth shattering changes in behaviour of the country's that host such events though. We have seen evidence of that since the game began.

It's difficult to know, though I would not be surprised if that's true in some respects. The more I hear/read about it, though, I do think it was a blow to Chicago to have been eliminated so decisively right from the get-go. Some say it was a blow to the U.S., as in a show of anti-Americanism. I really don't understand why almost half of those voting are from Europe. Seems as if that's not a very even representation.

It certainly helps win Europe a lot of games over the decades.

• 4 weeks later...

What is puzzling is why Obama would get advice that he should invest political capital in this bid, and worse that he would take that advice and act on it.

The bid already had plenty of support from the likes of Michelle Obamna and Oprah, him arriving late with pom poms in hand and still finsihing last does not reflect well on him or his judgement, and was unnecessary. It implies that without his help, the Chicago bid would have finished worse than.... oh wait, there is no worse than dead last.