Body Bag outrage

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1291664/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1291184/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/burea...article1291799/

"Opposition parties all worked to express their outrage in Question Period over a Health Canada move to send body bags to a First Nations community in Manitoba. And the government tried to make sure they expressed even more outrage." Globe and Mail sept 17

Why has this even become an issue?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1291664/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1291184/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/burea...article1291799/

"Opposition parties all worked to express their outrage in Question Period over a Health Canada move to send body bags to a First Nations community in Manitoba. And the government tried to make sure they expressed even more outrage." Globe and Mail sept 17

Why has this even become an issue?

good question, it must be a slow news day and the Media needed something to fill up the half hour news segment...it's a non issue for me...

From what I've heard, the swine flu seems to be most harsh on Native Canadians in the north. Instead of equiping the Manitoba reservations with just the `antidote', Harper's government sent body bags. It's sort of like him saying "tough luck" and "here's something you'll find useful".

I'm in no way trying to defend Harper. I want him out. I'm just trying to make sense of this news story.

Except that the reserves are being equipped with many different things. They have gotten hand sanitizer and other preventative, drugs and other treatment equipment, more health personnel on rotation....and body bags, just in case. Apparently, Health Canada sent too many bags, but that doesn't mean that they aren't needed. People are going to die, and in an isolated place, you need something to put their bodies in when they do.

From what I've heard, the swine flu seems to be most harsh on Native Canadians in the north. Instead of equiping the Manitoba reservations with just the `antidote', Harper's government sent body bags. It's sort of like him saying "tough luck" and "here's something you'll find useful".

I'm in no way trying to defend Harper. I want him out. I'm just trying to make sense of this news story.

read the articles

The body Bag incident was that in addition to H1N1 supplies health Canada sent body bags along to resupply those reservations according to them. You've only described how it appears.

Finally what the hell does this have to do with harper? If you actually think he cares about / exerts authority over logistics in northern manitoba the liberal party has seriously messed you up.

First Nations communities in Manitoba were hit hard by H1N1 in the spring. Health Canada’s response was to tell them to wash hands more often, ignoring the fact that many of these remote communities don’t have running water. HC also didn’t want to send hand sanitizer; they assumed people would drink it because it is alcohol based. It took a long time to get medical personnel up to the reserves, and people were dying. Rightly or wrongly, many First Nations people felt they were being ignored, or worse, being targeted for the pandemic. Health Canada has been trying to convince them otherwise, but sending excess body bags probably doesn’t help get that message across.

you do realize that it was some unthinking civil servant right? We do live in a society where the minister doesn't make all the decisions.

Edited by Alta4ever

I don't care for the cons but be fair...there is no antidote...there is a vaccine on the way but it isn't ready as yet...body bags is smart planning, if there are mass deaths and no near by supply of caskets the bodies need to be isolated safely until they can be removed...

Health Canada’s response was to tell them to wash hands more often, ignoring the fact that many of these remote communities don’t have running water.

There's not much Health Canada can do about that very quickly. From what I hear, great progress has been made over the last 5 years or so in fixing the water problem on reserves and throughout Canada.

HC also didn’t want to send hand sanitizer; they assumed people would drink it because it is alcohol based.

Which was a legitimate concern. I don't know if you have much experience with reserves on which large amounts of alcohol abuse occur, but I do. I also know from reliable sources that that at the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg, hand sanitizer cartridges go missing all of the time.....for the reason mentioned.

It took a long time to get medical personnel up to the reserves, and people were dying.

The entire province of Manitoba had a hard time coping. There isn't exactly excess personnel to send, although they did their best to get more nurses, doctors, and nurse partitioners to the reserves on a rotating basis.

The thing here this is politics vs policy. Maybe Iggy doesn't like the message it sends, but if worse comes to worse and they need these bags for sanitary reasons (because that is how you stop virus vectors you slow them down with procedures like this) they could be the difference between 10 and 100 deaths. I will take policy over politics any day if it is the right policy and being ready for the worse case is the right policy.

Which was a legitimate concern. I don't know if you have much experience with reserves on which large amounts of alcohol abuse occur, but I do. I also know from reliable sources that that at the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg, hand sanitizer cartridges go missing all of the time.....for the reason mentioned.

Yes, some people drink hand sanitizer, whether they are on reserve or in Winnipeg. But it is incredibly paternalistic to deny people something that might be their best defense, particularly when other options are limited, just in case someone will abuse it.

Why are you mentioning only him? Jack didn't seem to like it either.

I only heard the clip of Iggy today but I disagree with Jack on this one too if his position is not to be ready. Giving these people all the support they need, and preparing them before hand is important to stop the spread of this thing. I mean it.

I only heard the clip of Iggy today but I disagree with Jack on this one too if his position is not to be ready. Giving these people all the support they need, and preparing them before hand is important to stop the spread of this thing. I mean it.

Good I thought you were being selective. During Question Period, both the NDP and the Liberals....as well as the Conservatives...were upset, and none of them should have been. It was a non story.

Edited by Smallc

Ok. Sorry Folks. I mighta been a bit `partisan' there. Thanks SmallC, Wyly, and Alex for bitch-slapping me back to sanity.

Is there any good in suggesting Oregano Oil as an alternative to the `flu shot'?

nope...wash your hands and chicken soup, maybe some Tamiflu(when the flu strikes not before)....

Goo,d I thought you were being selective. During Question Period, both the NDP and the Liberals....as well as the Conservatives...were upset, and none of them should have been. It was a non story.
they're all drama queens...never miss an opportunity to express outrage on tv...

When it became public knowledge that hand sanitizer wasn't being sent to the reserves, and the reason why, Health Canada backtracked and sent cases up north. I haven't heard of any trouble from it.

I hope it hasn't been a problem, but I find it very doubtful that there isn't at least some problem with it.