Ignatieff would Restore Canada on the World Stage?

Is he a liar or a hypocrit.....judge for yourself....

Here's what he said yesterday:

Michael Ignatieff is casting himself as an international statesman who would reassert Canada's role on the world stage as a peacekeeper, honest broker and poverty fighter.

....snip

During the post-war era, Ignatieff said, Canadians made a name for themselves as "the world's leading peacekeepers."

Here's what he said in 2005 in MacLean's:

Yet Michael Ignatieff, Harvard professor and public intellectual, was once slightly more harsh toward his native land. Following a 2005 lecture at the University of Dublin’s Trinity College, Ignatieff excoriated Canadians for trading on Canada’s “entirely bogus reputation as peacekeepers” for 40 years and for favouring “hospitals and schools and roads” over international citizenship. “If you are a human rights defender and you want something done to stop [a] massacre, you have to go to the Pentagon, because no one else is serious,” Ignatieff said.

“It’s disgusting in my own country, and I love my country, Canada, but they would rather bitch about their rich neighbour to the south than actually pay the note,” he said, in response to a question about peacekeeping. “To pay the bill to be an international citizen is not something that they want to do.”

MacLean's: http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/07/17/%E2%80%...ekeeping/print/

News Article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/ignatieff_world

Edited by Keepitsimple

Uh Iggy. We have not been doing much so called peace keeping for a long,long time. Then there was Somalia! What was that failure about?Ever since Dallaire let those Belgium soldiers die in Rawanda as he covered his eyes and drove by them being slaughtered we have not been doing much. Liberal or Conservative. Peace keeping is where there exists a peace. Look at our Brigade in Germany after WW2 for reference. NATO was prepared to keep the peace through force of arms. Not blue helmets.

Unless there is willing forces on either side of a conflict who want peace ,UN forces can do very little and are a waste of time.

From the OP news article.

"Under this government, Canada is becoming a country that dares not speak its name," Ignatieff said Monday in a speech to the Canadian Club in Ottawa.

What the h*ll does that mean? It is becoming increasingly clear that Ignatieff has a very low opinion of this country. Canadians love their country and will not suffer a political party leader who has taken to trashing in an attempt to downgrade his opponent.

The Liberals had better dump this clown or they will pay dearly at the polls. No, I retract that. Please Liberals keep Ignatieff in charge. He is orchestrating the Liberal defeat in spades.

If the conservatives continue to rule--big buisness continues to rule. If the liberals rule - big buisness continues to rule - If the NDP rule..big buisness continues to rule - have fun with your politics ...they mean absolutely nothing.

Out here in BC, we have the Liberals *Cough* Conservatives *Cough* & the NDP. Liberal government means mega-projects, private developers taking tax payers dollars, major business tax cuts. NDP government means all the big boy unions like CUPE, HEU, etc get a huge pay raise on the new deal, corporate tax goes up, and cost of living with it.

Personally, I see no difference really, between the developers/managers taking the money & the unions taking the money. The tax payer still gets screwed in the end. Traditionally I, as well as most of the province I believe, have selected the Liberals, as the net cost of the government is lesser. At this point, I don't know anymore.

I imagine if the NDP ever managed to form a government federally, which I don't believe would ever happen, things would be much the same.

From the OP news article.

What the h*ll does that mean? It is becoming increasingly clear that Ignatieff has a very low opinion of this country. Canadians love their country and will not suffer a political party leader who has taken to trashing in an attempt to downgrade his opponent.

The Liberals had better dump this clown or they will pay dearly at the polls. No, I retract that. Please Liberals keep Ignatieff in charge. He is orchestrating the Liberal defeat in spades.

What an arrogant a$$hole.

It’s disgusting in my own country, and I love my country, Canada, but they would rather bitch about their rich neighbour to the south than actually pay the note,” he said, in response to a question about peacekeeping. “To pay the bill to be an international citizen is not something that they want to do.”

I'am no liberal, but i think he hit the nail exactly on the head with that statement which still rings true today....

Peacekeeping is very much doomed in this age of retired democracy. The only way majority of democratic populace would approve the cost of intervention somewhere away from the sphere of their immediate concerns, is by being brainwashed into fear for their lives (compare our staunch will to face existential threats from Iraq, Afghanistan, to perfect inability to act in e.g. Rwanda)