Tories to hike EI premiums to pay off deficit

Except that in the past it was a tax and could be spent as the government saw fit. We shouldn't bankrupt the country so we can have a bunch of money sitting in EI for nothing.

Than give it back to the people who paid into it. You want to take money from people you better not lie to them and tell them it is for when they lose their jobs but then never give it too them. You either put that money back in EI or it goes back to those who paid into it. You want to create a payroll tax to pay that off fine do it I bet it wont play well. Might be why the Liberals Lied about it in the first place.

They did...through government services and reduced debt.

That is called taxes and that is fine, when they don't lie about it. You give the money back to the people or put it back in the EI fund, those are the only options unless you want to tell the people "Yah we lied so what" Seems Liberals are ok with that I am not.

That is called taxes and that is fine, when they don't lie about it. You give the money back to the people or put it back in the EI fund, those are the only options unless you want to tell the people "Yah we lied so what" Seems Liberals are ok with that I am not.

Except you're wrong, and it's been proven in a court of law. The only thing that was done was raising the rates without going through parliament. Why was that wrong? Because the judge said it was a tax. It's not anymore.

Except you're wrong, and it's been proven in a court of law. The only thing that was done was raising the rates without going through parliament. Why was that wrong? Because the judge said it was a tax. It's not anymore.

You're not understanding what he said. The last few governments hid the fact that EI was used as a tax and not as the 'insurance' it was supposed to originally be.

You're not understanding what he said. The last few governments hid the fact that EI was used as a tax and not as the 'insurance' it was supposed to originally be.

I understand that, but they did nothing that was actually "wrong" and so there's nothing to pay back.

Edited by Smallc

And you can ask your employer not to deduct EI form your pay....

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/hm/plcmnt-eng.html#empresp

Employer responsibilities

All employers are required by law to deduct C.P.P. contributions and E.I. premiums from amounts they pay to their employees. Employers must remit these amounts to the CRA along with their share of C.P.P. contributions and E.I. premiums. More information on employer responsibilities and obligations can be found through our Payroll menu page

Here we have it dancer is full of BS. The employer is required by law to deduct EI and CPP. If they don't they are liable for paying both the employee and employer deductions.

So the Tories take the tax money - bail out their corporate friends...then they want more tax money via hiking EI priemiums ....then take these monies and hand even more over to their corporate looser friends --- mean while don't try to collect EI - cos you won't get it...in effect the EI will be used for rich guys to send their kids off to school in merry old England - or to spruce up the cottage _ I hear the elevator from the dock to the house is broken.. :lol: