Sometimes The Governor General Makes me Proud

M.Dancer

“How old is she?” Ms. Jean asked, grasping the hand of the little girl, who was identified as Amina.

“Nine,” replied the interpreter, who explained that Amina was on her way to a village to buy presents for the upcoming Muslim holiday of Eid when an IED went off.

“I have a daughter,” Ms. Jean said. “She is 10. I will tell her that I've met you.”

“Nice to meet you,” Amina replied, smiling shyly.

Earlier in the day, Ms. Jean paid a visit to Camp Nathan Smith, the headquarters for Canada's Provincial Reconstruction Team in Kandahar city.

Once there, she told Afghan leaders that she's “saddened” by the fact any debate exists at all about whether Canada should be in the country and helping its less fortunate.

She said the suggestion that Canada's war in Afghanistan is a “lost cause” hurts her deeply.

“I think it's important to see that our efforts are not in vain, and when we hear Afghan people and even children saying that the priority is security — this is what they hope for,” she said.

“It's very important that Canadians realize that, yes, our soldiers are taking many risks, but are also doing something that is absolutely exceptional.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1280980/

I think that she, like her regiment, is "Nulli Secundus"

What else do you really expect her to say... she is a mouthpiece and a figurehead for the current leadership. There is no way she would ever criticize the lovely war.

I would expect that if she has nothing good to say she would keep her mouth closed.

I also believe her words are heart felt and honest and are entirely hers.

I would expect her to stay home and not waste taxpayers money, on a feel-good mission that contributes absolutely nothing of value.

You don't think the morale of the soldiers who risk their lives trying to improve this hell hole has no value? You don't think a good will mission to the very Afghan people we are dying for has no value

How very telling. I expect the enemy agrees with you.

You don't think the morale of the soldiers who risk their lives trying to improve this hell hole has no value?

Of course it does. I don't think it comes from this... how about some better gear instead. Now there's a way to spend the money, and give them a better chance to make it back home. let alone actually WIN

You don't think a good will mission to the very Afghan people we are dying for has no value

How very telling.

That's like telling someone who's terminally ill that everything is going to be alright. The question is, are we dying for them, or are they dying for us... We have something like 130 dead, or so? The Afghani body count must be easily ten times that amount. Or make it a hundred... or a thousand.

I expect the enemy agrees with you.

I know the Taliban are harsh and cruel. How many would they have killed in the last 7 years, if we had not invaded? I can accept it, if the end justifies the means. So far there is not one thing that makes me think that this is progress.

Come on Dancer, stop getting so misty-eyed. She's not actual royalty :lol:

Edited by Sir Bandelot

I know the Taliban are harsh and cruel. How many would they have killed in the last 7 years, if we had not invaded? :

Given that they were in the midst of a civil war before they got sent to their caves...undoubtably a lot more.

You don't think the morale of the soldiers who risk their lives trying to improve this hell hole has no value? You don't think a good will mission to the very Afghan people we are dying for has no value

The role she is discussing is one that Canadian soldiers have provided for decades in many different

capacities, including providing security.

What is debatable, is the futility of running around the country with a handful of soldiers in the false belief that you are defeating the Taliban, and securing the swinging loyalties of the Pashtun tribes.

Security and reconstruction is a role that existed in peacekeeping as well. This is nothing new and a role that many Canadians believe in.

The GG is likely to improve morale.

I just met with a few young fellas this past weekend. Some going back, some eager to go back, and some not going back at all.

However, while they believe they are making a difference within the footprint they occupy and help, the reality is that Afghanistan is a "basketcase to crazy to try to figure out." Get in, do good things and get home, is all that matters.

You don't think the morale of the soldiers who risk their lives trying to improve this hell hole has no value?

You will find that there are a good number of people who believe every single thing in life has a dollar value, and that the monetary cost of analysing the worth of everything is a good investment. Dull, bureaucratic, miserly people.

Security and reconstruction is a role that existed in peacekeeping as well. This is nothing new and a role that many Canadians believe in.

And that is what they are doing. There can be no reconstruction with security.

For the recors though, there was little security ever added by Canadians in any peacekeeping mission they were on, that wasn't their mission. Their mission was to observe and report followed by duck and cover.

Given that they were in the midst of a civil war before they got sent to their caves...undoubtably a lot more.
The Taliban had virtually pacified 90% of the country and Al qaeda eliminated the Tajik War Hero Massud in 2001. From 1996 to 1998 the rise of the Taliban was near bloodless as many tribes switched over and the public wanted the Taliban because they could provide the security that the Mujahudin Warlords could not.

The Taliban created a level of Stability and ruthlessness vs random barbarism, theft, and rape.

It was for this reason that that Taliban appealed to the Republicans and various rightwingers.

Many Conservatives have expressed their support for Capital punishment and open executions, in order to show justice being served.

The Taliban were certainly going to deal with those of different religious and ethnic beliefs, and there are many examples of mass murder. The reverse is also true of those belonging to the Northern Alliance.

No group has set aside their desire for ethnicism, and revenge.

No group of Canadians is going to change Centuries and Centuries and Centuries of tribal activity.

Its been nearly 10 years, and little has changed in Afghanistan, other then the Taliban do not hold power, and are unlikely to ever hold power again.

The Taliban had virtually pacified 90% of the country

Not quite....

Three ethnic groups dominated the UIF: the Tajiks, who make up 27% of Afghanistan's population and are the second largest ethnic group, the Hazara and the Uzbeks, who each make up about 9% of the population. From the Taliban conquest in 1996 until November 2001 the UIF controlled roughly 30% of Afghanistan's population in provinces such as Badakhshan, Kapisa, Takhar and parts of Parwan, Kunar, Nuristan, Laghman, Samangan, Qunduz, Ghor and Bamiyan, all in the north of the country (hence the name 'Northern Alliance'). Throughout the campaign against the Taliban, the Northern Alliance's fortunes fluctuated, but neither side succeeded in gaining a major advantage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Islami..._of_Afghanistan

Its been nearly 10 years, and little has changed in Afghanistan, other then the Taliban do not hold power, and are unlikely to ever hold power again.

That will only be true if we keep the mission strong.

That will only be true if we keep the mission strong.

I doubt it Dancer because, Mr. Karzai has been quite clear that he wants a government that would include representatives from the Taliban in it, mission or no.

"Moderate" Taliban, apparently. Little slices of extremism...

Edited by Sir Bandelot

I doubt it Dancer because, Mr. Karzai has been quite clear that he wants a government that would include representatives from the Taliban in it, mission or no.

"Moderate" Taliban, apparently. Little slices of extremism...

And the Taliban reject the idea...the danse macrabre continues....

That being said, once the Taliban accept that a democratic government rather than a dictatorship of illiterate mullahs is inevitable, the half the job is done. Let the Taliban reject the road side bomb, the summary beheadings...let them stuff ballot boxes instead and see if that works...

Mostly through a general denial of the fact that she represents the head of state rather than being the head of state herself. I think it's a deeper issue running throughout Rideau Hall, so Jean isn't completely to blame, but she's certainly putting up no resistance to the downplaying of the monarch.

I think you are thinking of Adrienne Clarkson.

I think you are thinking of Adrienne Clarkson.

Yes, she was guilty of the same. In fact, GGs going back to Sauvé have been going along with, if not actively encouraging, the creeping republicanism amongst the staff of the OSGG. Many who worked under Clarkson are still at Government House; a couple of years ago, someone with connections to the viceroyal household told me that Clarkson was still calling from time to time to make sure things are being done her way. Hearsay, of course, but, given her past behaviour, it's easy for me to believe the story to be true.

[c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

I took hundreds of years to build countries like Canada and the US...hoping for the same in 10 or 20 for Afghanistan is frivolous.

Is there a quick fix...nope...the people have to see it and want it. Look at certain parts of Iraq for inspiration.

Edited by Cameron

Save the taxpayer's money that is wasted on the totally useless GG, and spend it on 50 top quality strippers going on tour for a month.

Fine. Send a few male strippers too. Hate to be sexist.

Save the taxpayer's money that is wasted on the totally useless GG, and spend it on 50 top quality strippers going on tour for a month.

Fine. Send a few male strippers too. Hate to be sexist.

Yea, Man. Just like Nam!

Hydra, please... take as many Albertans who think like you and.... seperate... from Canada, as soon as possible.

The GG is Commander-in-Chief of our armed forces. She has a duty to visit Afghanistan and support her troops.