Manitoba NDP leadership Race

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is the NDP might not win this time with their fearless leader gone to Washington. I think there's a possible shot at a minority MB legislature.

The arrogance of some NDP is incredible. I'd like to know if they believe in the fixed election terms or not. If not, why have the legislation in the first place?

Are they going to call an election for opportunistic reasons?

Edited by jdobbin

The thing is the NDP might not win this time with their fearless leader gone to Washington. I think there's a possible shot at a minority MB legislature.

They might not but a NDPer is going to win th NDP leadership race and will find out if they will call an election or not then. The thing about the leadership race they only have answer to NDP members of which Dobbin is not.

The arrogance of some NDP is incredible. I'd like to know if they believe in the fixed election terms or not. If not, why have the legislation in the first place?

Are they going to call an election for opportunistic reasons?

I'm thinking they'd have to go right away. The problem with having a leader like Doer was that Doer was the NDP and the rest of the MLA's were his lackies. With Doer gone there is a huge vacuum. I don't know if the other MLA's are as likeable as Doer was, apparently a lot of voters liked Doer equated the rest of the party to him. With Doer gone, I think that positive brand might be gone, and an election ASAP might curb their losses.

I'm thinking they'd have to go right away. The problem with having a leader like Doer was that Doer was the NDP and the rest of the MLA's were his lackies. With Doer gone there is a huge vacuum. I don't know if the other MLA's are as likeable as Doer was, apparently a lot of voters liked Doer equated the rest of the party to him. With Doer gone, I think that positive brand might be gone, and an election ASAP might curb their losses.

Certainly the issue of the election legislation comes up.

It will be hard to argue that it is anything but worthless if they call a snap vote.

This leadership race is turning fairly aggressive. Many of the MLAs seems to siding with Selinger. Swan went to Selinger after he dropped out of the race. I am wondering if we will see some NDP MLAs decide not to run again as Doer suggested a number of weeks back.

It won't be the same party and even the NDP are saying that now. Doer was a superstar in terms of recognition. Many people don't know the two candidates running with anywhere near the same recognition.

Given the campaign so far, the new leader will be much more on the left of Doer.

Edited by jdobbin

Certainly the issue of the election legislation comes up.

It will be hard to argue that is anything but worthless if they call a snap vote.

This leadership race is turning fairly aggressive. Many of the MLAs seems to siding with Selinger. Swan went to Selinger after he dropped out of the race. I am wondering if we will see some NDP MLAs decide not to run again as Doer suggested a number of weeks back.

It won't be the same party and even the NDP are saying that now. Doer was a superstar in terms of recognition. Many people don't know the two candidates running with anywhere near the same recognition.

Given the campaign so far, the new leader will be much more on the left of Doer.

Which is why I think they will have to go ASAP. Doer had to be centrist or he would have been tossed.

Struthers is going to have problems next election, if he runs again I think he is toast. Same with Wowchuck.

It looks like Doer cashed in his chips and he is laughing all the way to the bank. If it's not the same party, I don't think voters will like that too much and will be looking at alternatives. If the NDP stays on and does things too differently, expect a purge from the legislature. If this new leader is looking to do things differently, I think an election is a year or so away.

Expect to see a minority legislature with an increase in both tory and liberal seats. The MB Liberals would almost look forward to an election that quite possibly would result in a minority legislature.

• 2 weeks later...
Greg Selinger.

Hey.... LOOK WHAT I FOUND... :)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/20...n-winnipeg.html

smallc wrote:

Posted 2009/10/17

at 5:50 PM ETHereinsask, Manitoba (and most provinces from what I know) has banned corporate and union donations also.

1/0

You agree with this comment

And I decided to vote for you comment... 1 to 0 in favour.. You can thank me LOL

I couldn't believe Ashton would walk the picket line in the Hydro strike when he could conceivably be premier by the end of today. It struck me as a sign he really isn't ready for the job.

It did occur to me that if the strike had dragged on, Ashton might have had to put back to work legislation in place.

In any event, the majority of the unelected delegates from unions voted for Selinger.

I haven't heard any speculation today about a snap election. Many Conservative voters are asking for one, but I doubt one will come.

There has been a poll on this or some if the PC party have asked for an election? Who?

Probe Research said the earlier the better for the NDP since the glow from the leadership convention and post Doer glow may not burn so bright.

There's been no poll. There have been comments left on message boards that obviously don't come from NDP supporters asking for an election so that the people can decide rather than the delegates. I suppose it would be better to call them populist.

There's been no poll. There have been comments left on message boards that obviously don't come from NDP supporters asking for an election so that the people can decide rather than the delegates. I suppose it would be better to call them populist.

I can't really judge by anecdotal evidence from people who are anonymous. I suspect the NDP will take a private poll on this. Maybe the Free Press will commission a Probe Research poll.

It isn't like the Opposition has a choice in the matter. The NDP has a majority can do as they please.

My view of fixed election laws is they are useless.

I can't really judge by anecdotal evidence from people who are anonymous.

Obviously those people were real. I've read it more than once on the Free Press and CBC in the last few days.

I don't expect an election, but if one comes, the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Obviously those people were real. I've read it more than once on the Free Press and CBC in the last few days.

People who write anonymously can spout off about anything and be anything. I don't trust it. You shouldn't either or you end up send instant messages to some guy in underwear pretending to be a cheerleader.

I don't expect an election, but if one comes, the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

This is arrogance on the part of the NDP supporters that never fails to impress.

You shouldn't either or you end up send instant messages to some guy in underwear pretending to be a cheerleader.

How do I know I'm not already :lol: (ok, they aren't instant)

This is arrogance on the part of the NDP supporters that never fails to impress.

No, it's the current political reality in this province.

How do I know I'm not already :lol: (ok, they aren't instant)

Excuse my while I drown myself.

No, it's the current political reality in this province.

Probe Research says it is a different game with Doer gone. It is hard to think they aren't right saying that. If Selinger does call a snap election, it remains to be seen if he can get by on leadership glow or whether it will be a backlash.

In any matter though, Selinger is a bit of an unknown to the Manitoban public.

Edited by jdobbin

In any matter though, Selinger is a bit of an unknown to the Manitoban public.

He has a wonderful story though if he can sell. Raised by a single mom. Worked with at risk people as a Social worker in one of the worse areas of Manitoba, went to the London School of economics came home set up an non profit to help all the people he tired to help as a social worker. Went on to be the Finance Minster and created a huge boom for Manitoba with Doer and is now leading the province. He has my vote.