Manitoba NDP leadership Race

The caucus meeting was Monday, the leadership date is October 17 and the cut-off for joining is September 17.

Bill Blaikie announced he wasn't running. There had been some talk the last days that he wasn't going to run. Some even said he was encouraging Lloyd Axworthy to run. No way to confirm that. CBC TV reports Nancy Allan is out as well.

Theresa Oswald makes an announcement tomorrow. Rumour has it the last days that her husband has taken a job in the U.S. and the kids are going to school there. Now, this is either the biggest misinformation campaign of all time or it is true. I have heard this now from quite a few people but I'm still not sure.

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest to drop out is Gord Mackintosh.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2...2/10718191.html

Minister Gord Mackintosh, whom many believed stood a fair chance of winning a fall NDP leadership convention, has decided to not run, according to a press release.

Theresa Oswald just announced she is not running as well.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingn...p-56718917.html

Health Minister Theresa Oswald announced her decision while attending a H1N1 conference in Winnipeg this morning.

No word if she is staying on as minister based on talk about her husband taking a job out of the province.

The Free Press is reporting Pat Martin is out as well.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ndp...e-56709667.html

The first to bow out from the federal side was Judy Wasylycia-Leis

http://endlessspin.blogspot.com/2009/09/in...and-maybes.html

Andrew Swan has a news conference in a hour.

Theresa Oswald makes an announcement tomorrow. Rumour has it the last days that her husband has taken a job in the U.S. and the kids are going to school there. Now, this is either the biggest misinformation campaign of all time or it is true. I have heard this now from quite a few people but I'm still not sure.

Doesn't she only have one child, probably still in diapers? Too bad if she is leaving provincial politics; I don't know if she is ready to be leader, but she has done well in her portfolios so far.

Doesn't she only have one child, probably still in diapers? Too bad if she is leaving provincial politics; I don't know if she is ready to be leader, but she has done well in her portfolios so far.

I have no idea about her family. I just know that I have heard the same story from a few people and this was even before Doer made his announcement that he was stepping down.

I am wondering if we will hear when the new cabinet is announced. Doer suggested there was a few ministers not returning.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't come back to this in a while but now there are only two candidates.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingn...e-62328007.html

Andrew Swan bowed out of the NDP leadership race today, throwing his support behind Greg Selinger.

Swan said his poor showing in The Pas delegate selection meeting Sunday meant that he couldn’t possibly have a shot at winning the prize for the job as premier.

Selinger has the lead by many accounts but Ashton has signed up a lot of members and is challenging hard.

Ashton is more left of Selinger but the two are more left of Doer in some of their promises by some reckoning. This could be because they have to win NDP votes to become premier but it does give pause as to whether they can keep their promises.

Haven't come back to this in a while but now there are only two candidates.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingn...e-62328007.html

Selinger has the lead by many accounts but Ashton has signed up a lot of members and is challenging hard.

Ashton is more left of Selinger but the two are more left of Doer in some of their promises by some reckoning. This could be because they have to win NDP votes to become premier but it does give pause as to whether they can keep their promises.

McFadyen is just biding his time, Harper gave him a huge gift. McFadyen owes Harper a bottle of Grey Goose for getting Doer our of his hair.

Edited by blueblood

McFadyen is just biding his time, Harper gave him a huge gift. McFadyen owes Harper a bottle of Grey Goose for getting Doer our of his hair.

It is unlikely that the new NDP leader will have nearly the popular attraction that Doer did. Some of the NDP MLAs won on his coattails.

Still, the PCs have to run a better campaign than one where they promise to bring back the Winnipeg Jets. It hurt their credibility when they did this.

As a Conservative, my choice would be for Selinger to win. The financial mess the NDP have left this province in (several billion in deficit off the books while claiming a balanced budget) will be much easier to pin on the finance minister during an election.

As a Conservative, my choice would be for Selinger to win. The financial mess the NDP have left this province in (several billion in deficit off the books while claiming a balanced budget) will be much easier to pin on the finance minister during an election.

I don't know. Some PCs probably would have an easier time against Ashton who is by far more to the left of Doer and Selinger.

Edited by jdobbin

It is unlikely that the new NDP leader will have nearly the popular attraction that Doer did.

And yet, the party remains at 45% in the polls, even when the question was asked as if Doer was gone, according to the Free Press.

I don't know. Some PCs probably would have an easier time against Ashton who is my far more to the left of Doer and Selinger.

I don't know either. Manitobans are hard to judge. There's a huge contingent who would only ever choose between NDP or Conservative/PC, never Liberal. It defies logic.

And yet, the party remains at 45% in the polls, even when the question was asked as if Doer was gone, according to the Free Press.

Something I don't see happening with Ashton and prbably hard to sustain with Selinger.

As the pollster says, it will be hard to sustain that.

It is probably why the NDP will consider breaking the election law and call a snap vote.

"They have a lead now of seven points, which is probably not going to hold. That thing will only close with the passage of time.