Manitoba NDP leadership Race

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he loses. I don't see him doing well.

He is accusing the party of some irregularities at the moment.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingn...s-63412332.html

"This must be done to restore confidence in the democratic process," he said in the letter dated Friday.

The letter, a copy of which was obtained by the Free Press, complains of a lack of party staffing at meetings, cramped quarters with too few chairs, numerous spoiled ballots, in­consistent registration rules, and rude treat­ment of members of "non-European descent." At some meetings the party has allowed members to register after the cut-off time, yet in Inkster and Elmwood "no such considera­tion was given" despite the fact the venues were small, Wyatt said.

No election has been called yet. I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

Think it is important to state a view on the possibility of breaking that legislation to call an election, don't you? In other words, I'd like to hear the two candidate states without hesitation that they will adhere to the law.

I think I'd like to wait and see who wins, and then wait and see if they call an election and why they call that election if they do. Then, I'll look at the ideas that they present, if they call the election, and vote accordingly. That's what Id like to do. I don't find speculation on something that we don't even have any idea of yet to be helpful.

It's simply punked. The Manitoba Liberals have no future, and no ideas. That's why they attacked the current Premier over his appointment in a move that even Hugh McFadden called a tempest in a teapot. They're dead, and so they have to speculate in the negative to try to draw attention to their cause. It's much like the current shape of my party federally....or yours.

That's what Id like to do. I don't find speculation on something that we don't even have any idea of yet to be helpful.

And yet you posted a poll that talks about support for the NDP after Doer. Isn't that speculation?

It's simply punked. The Manitoba Liberals have no future, and no ideas. That's why they attacked the current Premier over his appointment in a move that even Hugh McFadden called a tempest in a teapot. They're dead, and so they have to speculate in the negative to try to draw attention to their cause. It's much like the current shape of my party federally....or yours.

It was about conflict of interest. Doer says things and does the opposite. Remember when criticized Murray for resigning his seat before the end of the term and did the same thing himself? Remember how he said cabinet ministers must resign if they are to run for leader if they are running for premier?

Doer should have stepped down as premier since he was Ambassador in waiting.

You sink to levels of criticizing the Liberals while you bow down in worship to Doer who doesn't follow the same rules he applies to others.

You are simply deflecting from your party and say let's not speculate. Well, you posted a poll about support after Doer. We haven't seen what the NDP will be like after Doer because Doer is still there.

We know Doer is leaving. We don't even know who will win and we certainly don't know if they'll call an election.

But you posted a poll about support after Doer which is speculation since Doer is still there, right? You said let's not speculate. Well, does that not in the least sound like speculation?

Edited by jdobbin

But you posted a poll about support after Doer which is speculation since Doer is still there, right? You said let's not speculate. Well, does that not in the least sound like speculation?

I wasn't speculating since people actually took the poll and I only referenced it.

Edited by Smallc

It's not speculation on my part though. It actually happened.

That people speculated where their support would be for the NDP after Doer? You referenced to prove a point that the NDP are solid even though the poll is speculation of where support is after Doer even though Doer is still there and no leader has been selected.

That people speculated where their support would be for the NDP after Doer?

Oh most definitely, but I wasn't the one speculating and I had something real to back up what I was saying. You, and people writing stories about similar things, are just guessing.

Oh most definitely, but I wasn't the one speculating and I had something real to back up what I was saying. You, and people writing stories about similar things, are just guessing.

Dancing on the head of a pin. Just guessing was what the article was about and it isn't real according your standards.

It's a bit different than the speculation that you're doing. The question was asked to people, and I'll grant you, their answers were speculative. That said, we have this information, and it's real. You don't have anything to go on, but yet you're prepared to chastise the NDP for something that's still several steps away from even consideration.

It's a bit different than the speculation that you're doing. The question was asked to people, and I'll grant you, their answers were speculative. That said, we have this information, and it's real. You don't have anything to go on, but yet you're prepared to chastise the NDP for something that's still several steps away from even consideration.

The question itself was speculative since Doer had not actually left office.

And I think I was pretty clear what I want: I want the present NDP candidates to say they will honour the legislation that they voted in since there seems to be this musing going on about a snap election.

What you did instead of addressing that was the misdirect with criticism of the Liberals and say it is speculation. It isn't speculation to ask the candidates if they will abide by the law. Your prepared to fawn over the NDP and say that they don't have to answer questions regarding their own law? Yeesh.

I always figured, in a parliamentary democracy, when a leader leaves in the middle of a government's term, it's appropriate for the incoming leader to call an election. It gives the voting public a chance to (indirectly) vote for their premier. Jean Charest did it when he took over the Liberal Party in Quebec. I think people would support the NDP doing it here, though I would be surprised because I think they would likely lose a few seats by doing so.

I always figured, in a parliamentary democracy, when a leader leaves in the middle of a government's term, it's appropriate for the incoming leader to call an election. It gives the voting public a chance to (indirectly) vote for their premier. Jean Charest did it when he took over the Liberal Party in Quebec. I think people would support the NDP doing it here, though I would be surprised because I think they would likely lose a few seats by doing so.

The NDP didn't make exceptions for things like a change in leadership in their fixed election legislation. It was something they were warned about. However, they made no allowances for death of leader, resignation of a leader or any other variation on that idea.

If they do call an election immediately after, it smacks of opportunism. The remaining two candidates should make it clear where they stand on the legislation and if they do believe an election is an option. It is a legitimate question.

The NDP didn't make exceptions for things like a change in leadership in their fixed election legislation. It was something they were warned about. However, they made no allowances for death of leader, resignation of a leader or any other variation on that idea.

If they do call an election immediately after, it smacks of opportunism. The remaining two candidates should make it clear where they stand on the legislation and if they do believe an election is an option. It is a legitimate question.

You'll find out when they win. I think you will be eating some crow.