Tories reject funding for Montreal gay arts festival

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a straight pride parade; it's called "The Calgary Stampede". There is more than enough testosterone to go around there.

I really don't think this is a good comparison.

As for the gay pride parade being a public orgy, you clearly have no idea what the parade is about or what actually transpires there.

Have YOU actually been there? My knowledge of what transpires there is based on first hand knowledge. While I'll admit it doesn't go as far as two guys rutting in the middle of the street, there certainly ARE a lot of dongs hanging out and a lot of bare asses walking around. This isn't just Church St either.

You can criticize anything you like, but please ensure your criticism is based on actual facts rather than 3rd hand propaganda. If you truly support you down-to-earth gay friends/acquaintances you'd go to a local pride festival and see for yourself.

Just because I don't support funding a gay parade doesn't mean I hate gays. I don't support funding any special-interest festival, the Calgary Stampede included. All I'm saying is that given how questionable some of the antics are during the Pride Parades, and given that the Tories already funded the one in Toronto and experienced a backlash amongst its less moderate base, I really don't blame them for not funding the festival in Montreal.

People can get as uppity and indignant as they want, but the fact remains that politicians ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS consider what's best for them when they are trying to decide which projects to fund and which ones to not fund. There isn't a government out there who hasn't/doesn't.

9/10 times if a politician has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by funding a project, they're not going to do it. It's simple and fundamental reason. Funding a gay festival in a Liberal stronghold is absolutely pointless for the Tories. It's not like we're talking about social services or anything. We're talking about a Festival. It's not like the Gays in Montreal are been oppressed. They're just not getting any special consideration money. Too bad so sad.

Edited by Moonbox

You might be right......

There's Gay Cowboys/Girls... competeting at the stampede. Of course I think there are enough of them to have their own Gay Stampedes/Rodeos

http://www.argra.org/

The Alberta Rockies Gay Rodeo Association

Gord Bamford

Headliner for Friday Night Cabaret ARGRA is a Calgary based not-for-profit society that is 100% volunteer driven. ARGRA was founded in 1991 and the first sanctioned Canadian Rockies International Rodeo was held in 1994. After years of consistent growth we now have a membership base of over 400. This makes us the largest gay rodeo association in the world!

Perhaps not, but the fact remains there aren't "straight" pride events because there is no need, everyday of the year is straight pride day.

Have YOU actually been there? My knowledge of what transpires there is based on first hand knowledge. While I'll admit it doesn't go as far as two guys rutting in the middle of the street, there certainly ARE a lot of dongs hanging out and a lot of bare asses walking around. This isn't just Church St either.

I have in fact on many, many occasions. I too have firsthand knowledge and I say that you are wildly exaggerating the goings on in Toronto. Are there people that are extreme? Yes, but they are an absolute minimum. If you walk church street 98% of the people are at worst wearing no shirt. Do I consider the description made by the poster I was responding to of "wild orgies" to be over the top? Yes in fact I do. I'm certain since you have firsthand experience you'd be inclined to agree.

Just because I don't support funding a gay parade doesn't mean I hate gays. I don't support funding any special-interest festival, the Calgary Stampede included. All I'm saying is that given how questionable some of the antics are during the Pride Parades, and given that the Tories already funded the one in Toronto and experienced a backlash amongst its less moderate base, I really don't blame them for not funding the festival in Montreal.

On this we agree nothing should be funded. The "antics" at the event are immaterial. As I've stated before, I was not questioning you or anyone else on this.

People can get as uppity and indignant as they want, but the fact remains that politicians ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS consider what's best for them when they are trying to decide which projects to fund and which ones to not fund. There isn't a government out there who hasn't/doesn't.

9/10 times if a politician has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by funding a project, they're not going to do it. It's simple and fundamental reason. Funding a gay festival in a Liberal stronghold is absolutely pointless for the Tories. It's not like we're talking about social services or anything. We're talking about a Festival. It's not like the Gays in Montreal are been oppressed. They're just not getting any special consideration money. Too bad so sad.

Again the funding is not at issue for the event in and of itself. I was responding to another poster who was wildly exaggerating the events of pride events who clearly had no firsthand experience. I don't understand why straight people get so bent out of shape over a gay pride parade. If they feel so strongly about it, they can have their own, no one is stopping them and no one would care. Incidentally the "gay" in Pride was dropped some years ago. Pride is for everyone and NO ONE, straights included, are barred from entering the parade. It's not a gay only event, it's an event to celebrate who you are, whatever that may be.

Do I consider the description made by the poster I was responding to of "wild orgies" to be over the top? Yes in fact I do. I'm certain since you have firsthand experience you'd be inclined to agree.

Yeah I tried to acknowledge that there certainly isn't any copulation or anything and most gay people have just as much shame as anyone else normally would. The 2% that do let their dongs and butts flop around however are the ones we mostly remember :(

Again the funding is not at issue for the event in and of itself. I was responding to another poster who was wildly exaggerating the events of pride events who clearly had no firsthand experience. I don't understand why straight people get so bent out of shape over a gay pride parade. If they feel so strongly about it, they can have their own, no one is stopping them and no one would care. Incidentally the "gay" in Pride was dropped some years ago. Pride is for everyone and NO ONE, straights included, are barred from entering the parade. It's not a gay only event, it's an event to celebrate who you are, whatever that may be.

I think I misunderstood you. I agree with everything you say here and think you have some really good points.

I think the answer is obvious...the Cons are concerned about placating their Religious Right base of support, without it they're toast. Its not like they're gonna score big with the Gay French constituency anyway.

Why shouldn't people who are "proud" sponsor "Pride" events with their own money? Whether Jewish, Ukrainian, Somalian, Jamaican, Gay or Chinese? Do you think Uncle Sam sponsors the May 15 parade to mark Israeli independence in New York City? Should it?

What makes this event different from any other event?

The Tories have to ask themselves, "Why would we spend this money? What good does it do us as a party, and for that matter the average voter/taxpayer?"
I'm generally pro-CPC and anti-pride parades (at least publicly funded), but playing devil's advocate, how is that calculus any different from that underlying "sponsorship"?

I'd go along with no funding at all for cultural events, save perhaps things like Canada Day.
The U.S. Government does not fund July 4 celebrations (outside of military facilities and Washington D.C.). Should Ottawa fund Canada Day?

The U.S. Government does not fund July 4 celebrations (outside of military facilities and Washington D.C.). Should Ottawa fund Canada Day?

Personalyy I think Washington should fund Canada Day.

That it met the criteria, applied for money, and didn't get it, I believe.

Not every event that qualifies gets the money. There has to be choices regardless. Limited resources, better places to spend the money.

Call them hypocrits if you want, but that's like calling the sky blue.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a straight pride parade? exclusive straight only arts festival?

Reminds me of the people who complain about things like "black history month" or "BET" - you'll hear them say things like "Oh, are there things like white history month or white entertainment television? Nooooooo!"

I'm pretty sure gays would trade the pride parades for the stigma, something straight people need not worry about

Well, apparantly Tim Horton's has withdrawn its funding (in the form of product) from an event countering gay marriage.1 Whether funds from crown or corporation, if its okay to pull them from one side then its okay to pull them from the other, too.

So should something like a black-history museum not be funded on the basis that corporations don't fund the Ku Klux Klan either?

Well, apparantly Tim Horton's has withdrawn its funding (in the form of product) from an event countering gay marriage.1 Whether funds from crown or corporation, if its okay to pull them from one side then its okay to pull them from the other, too.

:blink:

So ... let us know when there's an event opposing hetero marriage, and we'll make sure Tim's isn't at that one either.

:lol:

Guest chanho

The federal Conservative government has rejected a funding request by Montreal's gay arts festival, just weeks after a Tory MP suggested the Tourism Minister was punished for funding Pride Toronto.

In May, organizers of Montreal's Divers/Cité applied for $155,000 under the Marquee Tourism Events Program, and bureaucrats confirmed that the application met all of the criteria. During this month's Pride Toronto funding fiasco, Divers/Cité's director told Xtra.ca that she was optimistic her festival would still receive funding. She also defended the Tories, claiming that the federal government was treating gay events fairly.

]

Cellulite