Obama's Popular Support - Does it Matter?

Has nothing to do with the world....this metric is for American domestic consumption.

As reflected in the post 9/11 poll, Americans looked to him as the world's saviour.

Not any more....and it will never be as high as Dubya's record rating...but it could be as low.

I don't doubt the extremist will look for anything to try to get an impeachment. I guess it can't be anything trivial like starting a war on false pretenses.

As reflected in the post 9/11 poll, Americans looked to him as the world's saviour.

The USA is not the world, despite what some people on it might think. Bush's numbers soared because he took action instead of the previous timid responses to "terrorism".

I don't doubt the extremist will look for anything to try to get an impeachment. I guess it can't be anything trivial like starting a war on false pretenses.

That's not an impeachable offense....Bill Clinton knows what is.

The USA is not the world, despite what some people on it might think. Bush's numbers soared because he took action instead of the previous timid responses to "terrorism".

That's not an impeachable offense....Bill Clinton knows what is.

All wars start on a false pretense. Take North Korea for example - faking the nuclear thing...to scare China by using American hysteria. Or what Sadam did - by propogating the myth that he had weapons of mass destruction...in an attempt to frighten Iran - using American hysterics...these are clever boys. As for Obama, I just hope he understands how the game is played. It's global Machnivellianism...I sit at the bar and lie about the person across the room and he beats the crap out of you --- or if I do it right - they beat each other to death. Then I go through their pockets and leave with a profit...It's quite complex..and things are rarely what they seem. Good luck to Obama, he's going to need it.

Bush's numbers soared because he stood on a pile of debris and corpses in his shirtsleeves and carried a bullhorn.

Also: before last November, we were told the only polls that mattered were the election results. And yet I'm completely unsurprised to see the very same true believers from the right who predicted a Republican win last year jizzing their pants over every fluctuation in Obama's numbers. Obama Derangement Syndrome FTW!

...Also: before last November, we were told the only polls that mattered were the election results. And yet I'm completely unsurprised to see the very same true believers from the right who predicted a Republican win last year jizzing their pants over every fluctuation in Obama's numbers. ...

They just like to whine.

Also: before last November, we were told the only polls that mattered were the election results. And yet I'm completely unsurprised to see the very same true believers from the right who predicted a Republican win last year jizzing their pants over every fluctuation in Obama's numbers. Obama Derangement Syndrome FTW!
Gimme a break. Poll numbers matter, particularly before elections.

For the moment, the congressionals are a long way off. Obama can take a hit.

-----

Two points about poll numbers.

First, Obama has solid minimal numbers. He won't go below about 25-30%. His core will support him whatever happens. Excepting Kennedy, Americans are not familiar with such regional or clan politics. In Canada, this is the basis of our federal politics. Hence, I suspect that American analysts will be confused by Obama poll numbers.

Second, Obama's personal popularity numbers may differ from his approval numbers. IOW, Obama doesn't really have coat tails. He can't elect congressmen. Unlike Reagan, he's more like Nixon. Obama will get split-ticket/cross voters.

Obama is the equivalent of the 1974, 1976, 1979 elections in Quebec. French Quebecers voted massively for both Trudeau and Levesque.

The Dems are wrong if they think that this is an ideological shift. It's not.

Edited by August1991

OK...then the polls go up.....and then they go down. Rinse and repeat.

Strange stuff - Rule by poll does not really exist I suppose. If the pulse of the voter could be accurately measure and the public was consistant - then no one would ever lose an election - humans are fickle though and unpredicatable..give them exactly what they want - and tomorrow it's something else - so fleeting.

Strange stuff - Rule by poll does not really exist I suppose. If the pulse of the voter could be accurately measure and the public was consistant - then no one would ever lose an election - humans are fickle though and unpredicatable..give them exactly what they want - and tomorrow it's something else - so fleeting.

Obama needs to go to a tractor pull.....then he would understand how power and momentum does with an ever increasing load. Reagan had a "full pull" by now, but he had to take a bullet to get it.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Obama needs to go to a tractor pull.....then he would understand how power and momentum does with an ever increasing load. Reagan had a "full pull" by now, but he had to take a bullet to get it.

Sheer force is one thing--tork needs traction. If he ground is dry and firm - the tractor can pull a huge weight..If it rains for five seconds - everything changes. Obama will never put himself on the line...he swaggers - he's cocky - He's like the kid whos parents have said he is "gifted" - Does this man have the strength of character as you say "take a bullet" to do what is right? I don't think so - He said he was going to close the prison camp in Cuba...untill some back room bully gave him a call - suddenly - he submits---You wanna act like a Kennedy - then go agaist the mobs will - and get extra security..He either has to go for it - or just ride it out like some jerk who likes being famous a little to much.