The Manitoba NDP does it again

Are you talking equalization payments? Cause Alberta doesn't qualify for those. However, Manitoba does. I guess we know Manitoba's secret to balancing budgets in times of recession. Receiving billions of dollars from the federal government.

I'm talking about $4 billion of federal transfers which I have shown here repeatedly from Canadian and Alberta websites.

If Alberta did not receive this $4 billion, I suspect they would have even greater deficits, right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quibbling over $4B in federal transfer to Alberta seems trivial when the province reportedly sent over $17B to Ottawa in 2008.

"The numbers speak for themselves," Stelmach said. "Over the past decade Albertans made a net contribution to Canada of $117 billion. In 2008 alone, 3.5 million Albertans – that's less than the population of Toronto – sent to Ottawa over $17 billion more in taxes than we received back in services and transfers. On a personal level, it's as if every man, woman and child in the province wrote a cheque to Ottawa for $4,800."

According to Stelmach's numbers, a decade ago Albertans received 70 cents out of every dollar collected by the federal treasury; last year they received barely 50 cents.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/647535

I'm talking about $4 billion of federal transfers which I have shown here repeatedly from Canadian and Alberta websites.

If Alberta did not receive this $4 billion, I suspect they would have even greater deficits, right?

Dude all provinces receive transfer payments, equalization is another story and different program altogether.

As I have written before,it's easier to balance the books for provinces that recieve transfer payments

And writing something incorrectly twice doesn't make it true. Have not provinces have a harder time balancing budgets.

Dude all provinces receive transfer payments, equalization is another story and different program altogether.

There are no industrial nations aside from the U.S. that don't have equalization programs.

The federal government sets such programs up so that standards don't change from one region to the other.

For all the Tories who seem to get angry about the program, they should take note that Harper increased equalization.

Quibbling over $4B in federal transfer to Alberta seems trivial when the province reportedly sent over $17B to Ottawa in 2008.

Harper was in power then. Harper increased equalization. Blame Harper.

Q. Is oak wood harder than pine?

If you want to score points politically on equalization, it would be good to look to your own leader. According to you, he is the one pillaging Alberta to give money to Quebec.

I don't give a sweet bippee about fed money going to Quebec. Nothing I can do will change that eventuality, be it a Liberal or a Conservative government. What I do care about is how many sweet, dirty, stinkin', oil soaked greenbacks make their way to Ontariariario. Bring em' on. I say long live the oil sands!!!

Bad thing for Alberta is the economy is not always sustainable we are not as diversified as the rest of so called "have not" provinces. Expect in the near future equalization payment made to Alberta, as it runs record defecits of $6.6 billion, $3 billion lost to the Heritage trust, Albertas new pork barrel project $2 billion in carbon capture with low Natural gas and oil prices province is going in the hole. add in a provincial sales tax in the 5%+ range. For a province run By PC's for the last 35 years, that did well on $20/ barrel oil and $2 gas they now strugle to manage on $70/barrel oil and $4 gas, what gives?

Then get us started on deregulation our Energy bills have doubled with more and more service charges, housing has trippled in the last few years and built to the cheapest standards country wide developers won't even throw plywood on the ouside they just put paneling on 2X4's, with how cold it gets , what gives? for a $450,000 home.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/647535

LOL, once again, Dobbin caught in a lie. Or at the very least, a half-truth. I'm sure Alberta would give up the $4B from the feds, for their $17B back. So basically Alberta gets a net loss of $13B out of the deal. And that doesn't count the money they've been pumping to the feds for many, many, years.

Let's compare what Manitoba sends to Ottawa, vs what Alberta sends. Anyone have the numbers? I'm guessing Manitoba comes out with a net gain, vs Alberta's large net loss.

So let's stop patting the Manitoba NDP for balancing budgets on the backs of other provinces, through federal welfare. Because it's not only laughable, but disgusting.

LOL, once again, Dobbin caught in a lie. Or at the very least, a half-truth. I'm sure Alberta would give up the $4B from the feds, for their $17B back. So basically Alberta gets a net loss of $13B out of the deal. And that doesn't count the money they've been pumping to the feds for many, many, years.

Let's compare what Manitoba sends to Ottawa, vs what Alberta sends. Anyone have the numbers? I'm guessing Manitoba comes out with a net gain, vs Alberta's large net loss.

So let's stop patting the Manitoba NDP for balancing budgets on the backs of other provinces, through federal welfare. Because it's not only laughable, but disgusting.

Nfld was the same way and they started paying into it too. There is a saying in Newfoundland actually, "A raising tide lifts all boats." It was less this year and it will be less next year and soon they will be the same as all the other provinces.

We really don't know how much Manitobans send to Ottawa. Is it more than $3.6B? We don't know. The only provinces that ever talk about how much they send are Alberta and Ontario.

What lie? Alberta receives $4 billion in transfers. We keep hearing from some here that they don't believe Alberta receives money from the feds but they do. And that doesn't include money from other federal spending.

You seem to know the numbers. Let's see them/

Equalization does not provide money to cover deficits. Period. Never has. It is provided for programming standards that the Feds set.

If you are so unhappy with equalization, vote Harper out of office. He has increased it. Stop patting the Tories on the back for increasing a program that you hate.

What lie? Alberta receives $4 billion in transfers. We keep hearing from some here that they don't believe Alberta receives money from the feds but they do.

Yes they do, by law. But the fact is, that if they could keep more of their own money, they wouldn't need a dime.

Yes they do, by law. But the fact is, that if they could keep more of their own money, they wouldn't need a dime.

DUH!!! That is like when Bob Rae was running up deficits and crying because he was only getting back 50cents on the dollar. Mike Harris then complained, then Dalton McGuinty, and before that it was every other Ontario Premier since Confederation.

Suck it up...