Ontario- the summers of strikes

In fact, government involvement in directly selling a product to citizens provides the government another platform to push and promote its position on societal issues. Drinking and driving is an example whereby bags and in-store promotions remind clients that drinking and driving don't mix.

I don't think this has as much effect as it could. If the government wanted to come down hard on Alcohol abuse, drinking and driving, etc, it would be easier if it wasn't in the business. I doubt the Government would be tempted to come down with harsh regulations on retail as a result. I bet cigarettes in Ontario would be on better display in corner stores if they were owned by the government.

I also think that corner stores survival long term will require them to be allowed to sell beer. With the loss of traffic as a result of slowing of cigarette sales must be killing them. When I smoked years ago, I stopped at corner stores almost daily. Now it is less than once a month...

In fact, government involvement in directly selling a product to citizens provides the government another platform to push and promote its position on societal issues. Drinking and driving is an example whereby bags and in-store promotions remind clients that drinking and driving don't mix. This sounds positive on the surface but it reinforces the fact that we are too stupid to come to that conclusion on our own without the state helping us become enlightened.

The exact same mnessage is delivered by posters and bags in private stores.

I have never been advised by a clerk in either private or public stoires about the dangers of drinking and driving.

That's because you lack knowledge of any kind on the subject.

On the contrary, I was involved as a contractor for several years in the contracting out of certain government services. They were called performance contracts, you can Google that term before embarassing yourself further. In short, we did not get paid unless there were audited, verifiable savings. We made an embarassing amount of money in the first few years.

Many, many Fortune 500 contractors contract out non-core services, in recognition that they save their investment and energy for things they do best. In Canada, most of the banks for example no longer manage their own real estate, or own much commercial real estate for their own operations. This is in spite of seeing financing of real estate as a core business.

I understand that the government of Manitobe would consider every conceivable human endeavour as being the responsibility of govt, but that does not make it economic or efficient in any way.

If I have time later, I'll explain in simple terms how govts/civil service try to screw up their own contracting out undertakings. It is quite deliberate and the motives for screwing themselves quite easily understood.

The exact same mnessage is delivered by posters and bags in private stores.

True. Goes to prove you don't have to be the government to have a social conscience.

I have never been advised by a clerk in either private or public stoires about the dangers of drinking and driving.

On a couple of occasions in a LCBO outlet, I witnessed clerks refuse to serve customers who were clearly inebriated. If those dudes were driving, that refusal did not do much to prevent them getting into their cars and driving off.

Anyway, looks like the LCBO strike was averted. Torontonians can enjoy their favourite wines and spirits between whiffs of rotting garbage.

Starting to smell ---glad the LCBO strike was "diverted" - It would be horrific dealing with rats and stench sober...It was cute how LCBO had a couple of great days when the alcoholics did a run on the booze stores...empting the shelves --- we are truely a pitiful nation of drunkards who do not want to pay some one to clean up our garbage...so we wallow away on a hot hot day in a stupor...great!

I wonder if the people of Toronto will step up to the plate and take care of there own garbage. Windsor has been on strike for 11 weeks, and it's garbage situation is probably better already than Toronto's. I wonder if all the dumping in TO are CUPE supporters, or lazy citizens. With the population Density in TO, it will be a difficult task, but if the traditional union friendly town (No longer???) Windsor can do it, so can TO.

Under the leadership of Miller, I'm sure TO will be falling apart within 2-3 weeks, and the people of Windsor will suffer. As a result of the province of Ontario being forced to step in to save TO from itself, the citizens of Windsor will be forced by their provincial government to give CUPE what they want.

Edited by DFCaper

I wonder if the people of Toronto will step up to the plate and take care of there own garbage. Windsor has been on strike for 11 weeks, and it's garbage situation is probably better already than Toronto's. I wonder if all the dumping in TO are CUPE supporters, or lazy citizens. With the population Density in TO, it will be a difficult task, but if the traditional union friendly town (No longer???) Windsor can do it, so can TO.

Under the leadership of Miller, I'm sure TO will be falling apart within 2-3 weeks, and the people of Windsor will suffer. As a result of the province of Ontario being forced to step in to save TO from itself, the citizens of Windsor will be forced by their provincial government to give CUPE what they want.

From what I heard on the CKLW (Windsor), CUPE is saying that the mayor had said he wouldn't be involved but he's done the opposite and he won't meet them half way. I think if they don't come to a decision soon it will get nastier and that long grass will turn brown and you could have fires within the city parks.

From what I heard on the CKLW (Windsor), CUPE is saying that the mayor had said he wouldn't be involved but he's done the opposite and he won't meet them half way. I think if they don't come to a decision soon it will get nastier and that long grass will turn brown and you could have fires within the city parks.

The Mayor definitely has been involved in Windsor. He's in the local press continuously. CUPE early on even sent about 20 people to his house one morning to intimidate his 2 year old daughter and his pregnant wife. The long list of stupid moves by CUPE in Windsor is long enough, that the citizens of Windsor are behind the Mayor and his city.

The big road block in Windsor is post retirement benefits for new hires. Municipal employees have benefits that are rare for even government employees. This doesn't effect any of the strikers, but future hires only. Most in the area think this strike is mostly Sid Ryan's fault and is posturing for the TO negotiations. It seems strange to me that someone would strike and give up their pay for so long so that a future hire's spouse can have benefits after the employee dies.

I'm just hoping this shows the world that Windsor is no longer a union city. I haven't seen a new company come to this area since the 10 years I've lived here. They all start outside of commuting distance for Windsor/Chatham…

I meant regarding Winnipeg and Manitoba. I get tired of your constant shots directed at my province and city.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about on this topic, and that inlcudes what happens in your home province and city.

I'll stop sniping at your homeland when it starts acting responsibly and takes steps to stop the endless leeching off the rest of the country.

Take a nap if you're tired, then get to work like the rest of us.

You obviously do know very little, since our growth is outpacing that of most of the rest of the country, and in the last 10 years, our budget has reduced it's dependancy on federal transfers from 40% to 29%. My city is also one of the fastest growing in the country and one of the best places to invest right now.

Civic and public unions count on their employers caving in, they almost always do just that. It is the Canadian way.

It's just tax money and there is an endless supply of that.

They don't look at it as money - it's free flowing water - Mayor Miller of Toronto did not get the cash he wanted from the federals to buy new stree cars ---so it did not bother him - He will tax the hell out of the city one more time..to the point where the population will be so stressed from being milked that Millers idea of improving the quality of life in the city will actually be contrary to his agenda....so it does not make sense to stand and say that he is going to make life better - mean while we run around like strained stressed rats trying to keep up with municipal spending - and the continued granting of not just untendered contracts but useless contracts that are not needed ---cover up the top of the Gardener with dirt - what the hell is that about?

CHEMICALS SPRAYED TO REPEL VERMIN

A city that was the first in Ontario to ban the cosmetic use of insecticides and pesticides is now spraying chemicals at temporary garbage dumps as well as putting out rat bait.

Every day before each site opens and after it closes, the insecticide permethrin is sprayed. The chemical is used to kill and repel flies, mosquitoes and lice.

Blocks of rodent bait – difethialone – are also being placed in boxes. Dr. David McKeown, the city's medical officer of health, said there is no risk to the public or to family pets because the boxes are in fenced-in areas.

The city says that while it has minimized the use of pesticides, these are not normal conditions.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/658612

Not safe for use by residents, but safe for use by the City of Toronto. Hypocrits!

It seem the strike in Windsor is being control by the mayor and the mayor nor the CUPE can agree on a negotiator, one reason the mayor feels they always give in to the unions. This strike has gone on so long that, groups are having to cancel summer activities or go to other towns or cities. People are using private contractors for their garbage and the mayor is boosting that the taxpayer will see a rebate on their taxes because of ther saving around 24 million so far BUT the overtime to get the city back to normal will probably eat all that up and then some. One wins in strikes and no one wins in war, which is what Windosr's mayor vs CUPE is turning into!

I don't really give a monkey's any more whose fault the labour dispute is. For God's sake get it over with - the city is becoming unlivable. And the site of some of our beloved parks being turned into "temporary" sanitation dropoff points is heartbreaking.

• 2 weeks later...
"

Utterly pathetic achievement, akin to " I'm still beating my wife but don't hit her as hard". High five!!!

You don't understand transfer right? There isn't some line that cuts it off. If Manitoba wasn't taking equalization some other province would. It is an equalizing of GDP per capita. The only way no province would pay is if they all had the same per capita GDP