Governor General's seal snack sparks controversy

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean snacking on a slain seal's raw heart has sparked criticism from the European Union and animal rights groups.

Barbara Slee, an anti-seal hunt campaigner at the International Fund for Animal Welfare in Brussels, said she was disgusted by Jean's actions.

"The fact that the Governor General in public is slashing and eating a seal, I don't think that really helps the cause, and I'm convinced that this will not change the mind of European citizens and politicians," Slee told The Associated Press.

"It amazes us that a Canadian official would indulge in such bloodlust," Dan Mathews, senior vice-president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, told the Toronto Star.

"It sounds like she's trying to give Canadians an even more Neanderthal image around the world than they already have."

Governor General's seal snack sparks controversy

Bravo to the Governor General. She did a fine job of representing Canada's interests. Some people say that she's getting involved in a political debate, but I don't see it. She was simply taking part in a tradition and a way of life. As for the last comment from the PETA person...not bravo.

Some say that the Queen would be upset, but I don't see why. Her government is opposed to the seal product ban after all.

Edited by Smallc

Smallc

I agree

I was not too happy with her selection as GG - but this shows she has some intestinal fortitude (pun definitely not intended)

PETA is a waste of ration - they can kiss my @ss

GG did the right thing - Indian and Inuit culture is part of Canada and so is she

Borg

Nothing wrong with trying a new dish once in awhile. If these clowns slagging our GG were ever rescued in the high arctic and were starving they would be grateful to our Inuit people for life saving seal meat. Seals are not on any endangered species list ether. Good on you GG!

She was simply taking part in a tradition and a way of life.

And that makes me wonder why these European and PETA bleeding hearts (oops, pun!) don't have the fortitude to attack the Innuit people as well for repeatedly doing the exact same thing as the Governor General did once. But, of course, they're constrained by the rules of political correctness, which absolve quaint minority traditions from the same scourn heaped on others who dare to dabble in these same practices. Idiocy.

The seal hunt is just an overblown issue caused by some sad Newfoundlanders. The trade dollars are tiddlywinks. Why do we waste our political capital on this? It's a stupid concept this day in age and the sealers are unwilling to adapt to the realities of media coverage these days.

The GG is a fool for doing this. Canada's reputation is now tied to those that eating the beating hearts out of seals. Fantastic. Can't wait to travel!

It's a stupid concept this day in age and the sealers are unwilling to adapt to the realities of media coverage these days.

Why are you looking at this from a purely economic standpoint? The Innuit have been hunting seals and eating the raw meat for centuries before there was even a Western economic system set up here. They still practice the age-old tradition, and it's only polite etiquette to take part in the feast your host is preparing and take the honoured position offered. If she had turned down the seal meat, the reaction would have had the same volume, but from the opposite end: she's a latte-sucking Montrealer onside with the EU and PETA. Worse, that criticism would've come from Canadians, and not European hypocrites. Jean did fine; I give her kudos for learning to tread that fine line between national solidarity and political commentary, like the Queen and her speeches on national unity back in the Meech Lake days.