PMO hires former White House spokesmen

http://www.canada.com/News/hires+former+Wh...0064/story.html

The Prime Minister's Office on Wednesday said it had retained Mike McCurry, a former press secretary to Bill Clinton, and Ari Fleischer, who held the same job during George W. Bush's first term, on temporary contracts to help Harper land interviews with leading American television networks and newspapers.

"Canada has a very good story to tell, and it won't tell itself," said Kory Teneycke, Harper's spokesman.

"The person best-positioned to tell that story in the (American) media is the prime minister."

It looks like the thing that Harper wants to sell is himself.

Pretty sure he is angling for a job on foreign media.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.canada.com/News/hires+former+Wh...0064/story.html

It looks like the thing that Harper wants to sell is himself.

Pretty sure he is angling for a job on foreign media.

Sounds like he actually wants to get the facts out instead of the crap that is being advanced by the liberal MSM.

I don't see the CBC painting a rosy picture of Canada as the Americans most important trading partner in the World in the US media do you?

And you think the CBC is the only network in Canada? The only media? You think they are all Liberal supporters who are opposed to Harper? You really think the conspiracy runs that deep?

Edited by jdobbin

The CBC News Service reports the news, they don't paint pictures.

Really what do you call all the editorializing they do along with CTV, and Globe Media?

We haven't had real media reporting in along time just editorializing, and fearmongering to sell papers and ad space.

Really what do you call all the editorializing they do along with CTV, and Globe Media?

We haven't had real media reporting in along time just editorializing, and fearmongering to sell papers and ad space.

First CTVGlobemeida is one company. The company you're looking for is Canwest Global. The only thing that both of them are guilty of is overgeneralizing at times. I would also say that at times, Global tries to pretend it's CNN with huge sets and a sensational broadcast style. CTV does a decent job.

CBC on the other hand reports the facts and very little else in the news part of their broadcast. Their may be some editorializing in their news magazine pieces (and even then I would have to point out that your disagreeing with it doesn't make it biased) but overall, they do an excellent job of reporting....similar to the BBC and the New York Times.

Not having a conservative bias doesn't automatically mean that something has a liberal bias. Places like the BBC, the CBC, the NYT, and CNN usually do a good job of reporting the news without much slant...even if CNN does tend to go ver the top a bit. Oh, and also the Globe and Mail (in their news section, not their editorial).

Edited by Smallc

First CTVGlobemeida is one company. The company you're looking for is Canwest Global. The only thing that both of them are guilty of is overgeneralizing at times. I would also say that at times, Global tries to pretend it's CNN with huge sets and a sensational broadcast style. CTV does a decent job.

CBC on the other hand reports the facts and very little else in the news part of their broadcast. Their may be some editorializing in their news magazine pieces (and even then I would have to point out that your disagreeing with it doesn't make it biased) but overall, they do an excellent job of reporting....similar to the BBC and the New York Times.

Not having a conservative bias doesn't automatically mean that something has a liberal bias. Places like the BBC, the CBC, the NYT, and CNN usually do a good job of reporting the news without much slant...even if CNN does tend to go ver the top a bit. Oh, and also the Globe and Mail (in their news section, not their editorial).

They do not report all the facts, when they have pannels its 3 left leaning people and a token conservative. They certainly are nothing like the BBC.

They do not report all the facts, when they have pannels its 3 left leaning people and a token conservative.

Like the at issue panel? A conservative, a libertarian, and a liberal....or...on Politics, with Don Newman, when they have a member from each federal party (and sometimes the bloc)? When there is no Conservative on, they make a point of saying that they invited representatives from the three parties...but the Conservatives had no one available.

The bias you are seeing in their news reporting is imaginary.

Like the at issue panel? A conservative, a libertarian, and a liberal....or...on Politics, with Don Newman, when they have a member from each federal party (and sometimes the bloc)? When there is no Conservative on, they make a point of saying that they invited representatives from the three parties...but the Conservatives had no one available.

The bias you are seeing in their news reporting is imaginary.

Nope its not. You like the CBC because they report the news the way you want to hear it.

Edited by Alta4ever

Nope its not. You like the CBC because they report the news the way you want to hear it.

No, I don't like them because of that. I like them because they don't report opinion news as fact (as Fox News and MSNBC do). I like them because they go in depth with their reporting. You don't like them because they don't praise conservatives...and I'm glad they don't. It's the same reason I don't like the talking heads on any of the Sirius talk channels (Patriot, Left, Fox Talk) and the same reason that I sometimes don't like Charles Adler. I want to hear the facts, whether or not I like them.

No, I don't like them because of that. I like them because they don't report opinion news as fact (as Fox News and MSNBC do). I like them because they go in depth with their reporting. You don't like them because they don't praise conservatives...and I'm glad they don't. It's the same reason I don't like the talking heads on any of the Sirius talk channels (Patriot, Left, Fox Talk) and the same reason that I sometimes don't like Charles Adler. I want to hear the facts, whether or not I like them.

The CBC must have very different coverage in Manitoba then Alberta.

And you think that the U.S. media is going to tell the story?

You just answered your question as to why the PMO hired two people that are professionals at getting the message out to media.

I guess it remains to be seen. My thought, like the National Post mused, is that Harper is looking for a job.

Edited by jdobbin

You don't like them because they don't praise conservatives...

I don't think he's listening, Smallc. Hardly surprising, though, given that FOX seems to be his preferred news source.

I get the CBC and BBC world news and Global National podcasts every day now. Sometimes I find the CBC to be rather lacking in scope, but what it does report generally comes without any editorialising, or the sensationalism that Global seems to always weave into its broadcast (just how dangerous is the dust in my keyboard!?). The BBC, of course, always takes top prize, though; I don't know why it is that the CBC just can't seem to reach the BBC's level of professionalism, in both news and entertainment programming.

I don't know why it is that the CBC just can't seem to reach the BBC's level of professionalism, in both news and entertainment programming.

Money I think. The news magazine pieces though, do go very in depth, even if the quick story pieces can't. I've learned a great many things that I didn't know before from those pieces. They may not always go into depth, but they certainly don't generalize as often as CTV does.

I really like CBC news and the BBC as well. Where CBC does the best job (IMO, of course) is political news and local news. I especially love Politics, and I watch it almost every day. I think that's really part of it. A great deal of the news isn't on the National, but instead, CBC News: Around the World, CBC News: Politics, with Don Newman, and other programs like them.

Edited by Smallc

Were you stamping your feet while you typed this? That was the conjured up mental picture anyway...

If the "MSM" ( :rolleyes: ) is not to be trusted, from what source can we get reliable, unbiased news?

Were you stamping your feet while you typed this? That was the conjured up mental picture anyway...

If the "MSM" ( :rolleyes: ) is not to be trusted, from what source can we get reliable, unbiased news?

I read several sources on the internet while they all may no be biased I do get and idea of what all the different camps are thnking. Typically I read the T star, he National post the globe and mail, the edmonton journal and the Calgary sun.

I read several sources on the internet while they all may no be biased I do get and idea of what all the different camps are thnking. Typically I read the T star, he National post the globe and mail, the edmonton journal and the Calgary sun.

of which... only one of those media references quoted... falls "significantly & collectively" by those that must assign labels... as being a part of the so-called liberal mainstream media. But carry on with your mantra - "bad controlling liberal mainstream media"!!! :blink:

"There shall be no recession in the households of former Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer and former Clinton mouthpiece Mike McCurry. How much are these guys getting paid to help our PM line up interviews in the U.S. media? Alas, the Harper government won’t say, citing the provisions of the We Didn’t Tell You How Much the Psychic Hairstylist Makes – You Think We’re Going to Tell You This?"

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/04/16/harper-...randing-itself/

"There shall be no recession in the households of former Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer and former Clinton mouthpiece Mike McCurry.

According to some sources and revealed at the At Issue panel, they run $10,000 a month. Each. So assuming a 12 month contract, let's say around $240,000 a year.

And all this to get Harper a job on FOX.

By the way, the Wall Street Journal said that Harper could speak to their editorial board any time. No middleman needed.