Mind your (terror) language

tango

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JE21Ak04.html

This was advice to Bush ...

Middle East

May 21, 2008

Mind your (terror) language

By Khody Akhavi

WASHINGTON - From the people who brought you the "war on terror" and the "axis of evil" comes a new verbal tonic for combating that amorphous emotion.

Out with pejoratives like "Islamo-fascists", "jihadis" and "mujahideen", and in with "words that work", that is according to a George W Bush administration memo that was leaked last month to the Associated Press.

The non-binding 14-point guide on counterterrorism communication, prepared by the US National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC), urges US officials to drop language and terminology that may offend Arab and Muslim communities, to use terms such as "violent extremist" or "terrorist" instead of "jihadi", and to shift the discussion away from the dualistic "clash of civilizations" or battle between "Islam and the West", a paradigm that casts Islam as inherently violent.

"A mujahid, a holy warrior, is a positive characterization in the context of a just war. In Arabic, jihad means 'striving in the path of God' and is used in many contexts beyond warfare. Calling our enemies jihadis and their movement a global jihad unintentionally legitimizes their actions," according to the report. "We need to emphasize that terrorists misuse religion as a political tool to harm innocent civilians across the globe."

Interesting, and totally makes sense.

It's not what you say that matters, it's what they hear.

It's not what you say that matters, it's what they hear.

Fundamentally, terror takes its roots in this symbolic gap between saying and hearing (and seeing). Violence doesn't become so out of hand in the natural world because animals (non-humans) don't face this gap.

Call the "terrorists" whatever we wish....no need to tread carefully here. Insult them with vigor and malice at all turns, laughing at their discomfort. Take the lead from former MP Carolyn Parrish:

"Damn Americans, I hate those bastards"

Yes, you are making their point.

Some twits can make us all look bad, and pretty much destroy themselves in the process.

benny, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense.

Yes, you are making their point.

Some twits can make us all look bad, and pretty much destroy themselves in the process.

benny, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense.

So what? Are we to tippy-toe about, stripped of free speech rights because of poltical correctness run amok? What the hell do you think this "war" is all about? Nobody has the right not to be offended.

Wanna buy some Muhammed cartoons? :lol:

Sure...why not? What is the problem...or to quote the late PM Trudeau, I have been called worse things by better people. :P

We are not required to kiss terrorist ass.

Civility is helpful.

Unless your purpose is to create war and warmonger profits, of course, like bush and cheney ... :lol:

Never forget, Al Qaeda is a USA artifact originating in the Cold War.

Indeed...but I doubt they could see the results twenty years on down the road...could you?

The USA have let so much genies get out of their bottles. Terror was in the Pandora's Box opened by the USA.

Al Qaeda didn't have to choose the path of international terrorism. Nobody forced them.

Indeed...but I doubt they could see the results twenty years on down the road...could you?

Al Qaeda didn't have to choose the path of international terrorism. Nobody forced them.

One doesn't escape easily mental problems when s/he was born and rise in a dysfunctional family such as the USA.

One doesn't escape easily mental problems when s/he was born and rise in a dysfunctional family such as the USA.

The chair is against the table. Object in your mirror may be closer than they appear. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Makes about as much sense...

Exactly! Some animals see an enemy when they look at themselves in a mirror.

Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold,

Peas porridge in the pot, nine days old;

Some like it hot, some like it cold,

Some like it in the pot, nine days old.

Edited by DogOnPorch

My purpose is free speech.....you are free to kiss ass as you please. Was that too inflamatory? Oh my!

This is how warmongers are warmongers. They thrive on inflammatory language. This infuriates the opposition (intentionally) who go out and buy arms from US warmongers to kill US soldiers.

It's a system that has worked very well ... for the profiteers. Not so well for the soldiers who die.

Should I say yay bush_cheney ? Corporatism at its finest? :rolleyes:

Na ... just greedy aho's who don't care about human consequences so long as they are pulling in the cash.

This is how warmongers are warmongers. They thrive on inflammatory language. This infuriates the opposition (intentionally) who go out and buy arms from US warmongers to kill US soldiers.

Actually, it's a very effective method to communicate and innoculate....worked well for Norman Lear as a TV producer back in the early '70's. Others just call it having a thick skin.

It's a system that has worked very well ... for the profiteers. Not so well for the soldiers who die.

Soldiers die for a myriad of reasons.....but not because of Mama jokes.

Should I say yay bush_cheney ? Corporatism at its finest? :rolleyes:

Say whatever you please.....that is the point. Combat speech with more speech.

Na ... just greedy aho's who don't care about human consequences so long as they are pulling in the cash.

What are "aho's"...do you mean "assholes" (not possessive)?

Actually, it's a very effective method to communicate and innoculate....worked well for Norman Lear as a TV producer back in the early '70's. Others just call it having a thick skin.

If it was so effective a method to communicate, you would not fear so much the costs of hate speech lawsuits.

Say whatever you please.....that is the point. Combat speech with more speech.

The point of the article was that how you use language determines your progress in reaching your objectives, especially diplomatic objectives.

Free speech as an end in itself is just ... noise.

The point of the article was that how you use language determines your progress in reaching your objectives, especially diplomatic objectives.

Free speech as an end in itself is just ... noise.

Psychoanalysts attribute the efficacy of their treatments mainly by the fact that most of the time they literally terrorize their patients by remaining silent.