Another Obama Nominee Has Tax Issues

(CBS)Kathleen Sebelius, President Obama's nominee to become Health and Human Services secretary, said in a letter obtained by the Associated Press that she made "unintentional errors" on her taxes and has corrected her returns from three different years.

In the letter, which was sent to senators and dated today, Sebelius wrote that she had made changes related to charitable contributions, business expenses and the sale of a home, according to the AP.

The wire service reports that she and her husband paid just over $7,000 in back taxes, along with $878 in interest, for the years 2005-2007

CBS

Is anyone really suprised anymore? I know I'm not.

(CBS)Kathleen Sebelius, President Obama's nominee to become Health and Human Services secretary, said in a letter obtained by the Associated Press that she made "unintentional errors" on her taxes and has corrected her returns from three different years.

In the letter, which was sent to senators and dated today, Sebelius wrote that she had made changes related to charitable contributions, business expenses and the sale of a home, according to the AP.

The wire service reports that she and her husband paid just over $7,000 in back taxes, along with $878 in interest, for the years 2005-2007

CBS

Such is privledge. AND I just love the idea of "tax deductable charity organizations" (Dylan)....You would think that if you give to charity - you actually lose some cash..because you are giving - but now - if you give to the poor ...you get a refund...YOU MAKE MONEY...logic dictates that the money must be coming from some where? So if you give to the poor (charity) - you are actually taking from the poor,,sweet arrangement!

CBS

Am I surprised someone who as made millions over the years has made a mistake which does make up .001% of her income over the years? Nope. If this shows us anything it is that we need a simpler tax code.

Edited by punked

You need a tax code that does not make the mind swoon.

I mean honestly if you give 100 000 to some sort of charity and take 15% instead of 14.9 or whatever that makes these kinds of mistakes. If you move from here to their, or claim your taxes in a different way. I mean honestly these aren't huge mistakes people are getting nailed up for. The tax code is complex and creates problems.

I mean honestly if you give 100 000 to some sort of charity and take 15% instead of 14.9 or whatever that makes these kinds of mistakes. If you move from here to their, or claim your taxes in a different way. I mean honestly these aren't huge mistakes people are getting nailed up for. The tax code is complex and creates problems.

When they are suppose to be the professionals and know how the tax system works yes it does matter.

When they are suppose to be the professionals and know how the tax system works yes it does matter.

Considering when Politico asked each Senator if all their taxes were perfect none would answer or those who did said they had to at one time pay back taxes, including Republicans, I think we can let her off. This happens quite a bit. It is an out dated overly complex tax system which needs to be overhauled.

You are looking a problems like house sales. If a house was sold in one month with a down payment but complete sale does not happen until the next tax year. If you claim in one year as opposed to another. I mean problems that arise and become complex because like it or not time moves.

You are looking a problems like house sales. If a house was sold in one month with a down payment but complete sale does not happen until the next tax year. If you claim in one year as opposed to another. I mean problems that arise and become complex because like it or not time moves.

Ever heard of H & R Block?

10 cents on the dollar..not bad..then they will tax that dime. Your pretty down to earth..so how is the water flow from the Red River ....? You Americans wanted our water...hope you have enough.

More snow today.....soon to be more water runoof to the Red...and headed your way...free of charge.

More snow today.....soon to be more water runoof to the Red...and headed your way...free of charge.

I know Americans are arrogant. You can not send water up hill. Keep the moisture. Free of charge -- at least the lawns will be green and you can golf...I hate golf - I can hit it a mile.. but can never get it in the hole. Don't ask me what that meant. I guess if I was in buisness< I would not be a closer. AND what is "runoof?" Is that a Dakota dialect?