Conservatives give grant to conservative magazine

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?m=/index&nid=439569

The Government of Canada has provided $27,124 in funding under the Support for Editorial Content component of the Canada Magazine Fund. The Government announced that it would maintain its support to Canadian magazines through the creation of the Canada Periodical Fund, a modern, streamlined program that will replace the Canada Magazine Fund and the Publications Assistance Program. This new fund, which will be launched in 2010-2011, will help magazines, such as REPORT Magazine, reflect Canadian voices and interests for years to come.

Report magazine gets bail-out. Nothing for CBC.

Where are the Tory protests?

By the way, the cover of Report this month is on western separatism.

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jdobbin outperformed himself. There is only about 0.1% of truth in his post. This is a classical example of goebbelsian (liberal) propaganda.

Bad job, jdobbin!

yours is a classic example of failing to flush out your 99.99% falsehood claim... perhaps not Goebbels worthy - but definitely Baghdad Bob would offer you a thumbs up.

Conservatives give grant to conservative magazine

REPORT Magazine is proud to bill itself as "Western Canada's Conservative Voice" and today, Canada's government, on behalf of all taxpayers, were pleased to give "Canada's Conservative Voice" a grant of $27,124.

REPORT Magazine's cover story this month is about Western Canadian separatism and Western Canadian anger at the rest of Canada for letting all that coalition nonsense happen.

""If ...the Conservatives bend over to win central Canadian support, then the only option Westerners have, given that all other options have been tried and failed, [would be] independence," a Lethbridge College political scientists tells REPORT.

Now, ahem, given my professional occupation, I'm all for any government helping out journalism endeavours, but I can't recall the last time any federal government gave a grant to a Quebec magazine that published sympathetic separatist articles.

yours is a classic example of failing to flush out your 99.99% falsehood claim... perhaps not Goebbels worthy - but definitely Baghdad Bob would offer you a thumbs up.

Now, ahem, given my professional occupation, I'm all for any government helping out journalism endeavours, but I can't recall the last time any federal government gave a grant to a Quebec magazine that published sympathetic separatist articles.[/indent]

waldo, there is false in my claim?

The Conservative government gives grants to hundreds of Canadian magazines (if counted as individual recepients). Many of them (dozens and dozens) are from Quebec. Many of the magazines are liberal, some are conservative.

I cannot review all recepients of the government grants (there are probably over a thousand magazines), but definitely at least some of them do write about separatism. E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'actualit%C3%A9 http://www.refletdesociete.com/Reflet-de-Societe.html

By the way, writing about a separatism is not a crime in Canada. Does The Report promote something unconstitutional?

jdobbin took only one magazine that appeared to stand on conservative point of view and presented this as a case of the government bias or something like that. jdobbin deliberately omitted about a thousand of other recepients. This is a pure distortion of the truth.

There is also a spin in you reference.

Edited by YEGmann

So the Tories fund other separatist supporting magazines?

Is it your contention, then, that every magazine or newspaper which prints a story on separatism is in fact supporting separatism?

Does that mean every newspaper which does an article on child molesting supports child rape, genius?

In point of fact the CBC gets hundreds of millions of dollars.

I'm all for cutting off all government grants to media of all sorts, including TV, radio, magazines, books, films and arts.

Unfortunately, the Liberal Party of Canada is violently supportive of those kinds of grants, and would go ape-shit if anyone ever proposed canceling them.

Perhaps your real problem is you hate the West so much it infuriates you to see any money going to a western based magazine.

At least their cuppa doesn't support separation.

Would you like to explicitly state that this magazine supports separatism - on behalf of the Liberal Party of Canada?

If you like, I'll send them an email to that effect and see how they respond.

How does The Report support separatists? Provide a proof, please.

Yes, it does. It has given a format for their views a few times.

http://www.reportmagazine.ca/web/index.php...a/web/index.php

They fan the flames whenever they can.

If this had been a Quebec-based magazine, some on the right would call it treason.

Would you like to explicitly state that this magazine supports separatism - on behalf of the Liberal Party of Canada?

Liberals have pointed out before this magazine support separation with their constant fanning the flames of the issue.

Liberals have pointed out before this magazine support separation with their constant fanning the flames of the issue.

Liberals who hate the West, you mean. Maybe you'd like to also point out how often the Liberal Party has criticized Quebec based media for interviewing - or hell, even openly sympathizing with separatism. Or the last time anyone in the Liberal Party suggested that media in Quebec which interview separatist should get no government grants.

Edited by Argus

In point of fact the CBC gets hundreds of millions of dollars.

Which the Liberals have cut.

I'm all for cutting off all government grants to media of all sorts, including TV, radio, magazines, books, films and arts.

Unfortunately, the Liberal Party of Canada is violently supportive of those kinds of grants, and would go ape-shit if anyone ever proposed canceling them.

The Liberals have cut this money in the past to end deficit spending.

Perhaps your real problem is you hate the West so much it infuriates you to see any money going to a western based magazine.

I would be intensely against a magazine from the east that fans the flames of separation as this one does.

Liberals who hate the West, you mean. Maybe you'd like to also point out how often the Liberal Party has criticized Quebec based media for interviewing - or hell, even openly sympathizing with separatism.

Harper hates Canada. He wants to see a firewall if not outright separation of the west from Canada.

Edited by jdobbin

Is it your contention, then, that every magazine or newspaper which prints a story on separatism is in fact supporting separatism?

Nope. Just certain magazines who fan the flames of separation.

Does that mean every newspaper which does an article on child molesting supports child rape, genius?

If they framed polls to show there was support for molesting, I'd seriously question what their intentions were, genius.

Harper hates Canada. He wants to see a firewall if not outright separation of the west from Canada.

Boy Jdobbin, I have to congratulate you in coming up with a statement which is even stupider than most of what dross you print. Harper hates Canada. Who'd a thunk it? He probably wishes he could live in the US - and he's conspiring with that evil Obama guy to turn Canada into an American colony. Ahhhhhh! :ph34r:

Boy Jdobbin, I have to congratulate you in coming up with a statement which is even stupider than most of what dross you print. Harper hates Canada. Who'd a thunk it? He probably wishes he could live in the US - and he's conspiring with that evil Obama guy to turn Canada into an American colony. Ahhhhhh! :ph34r:

And I have to congratulate you for your stupid response. Harper's response to federalism is well known. Harper only hates eastern separatists.

By the way, writing about a separatism is not a crime in Canada. Does The Report promote something unconstitutional?

But is it something that needs support from the federal government. Freedom of speech doesn't mean financial support.

jdobbin took only one magazine that appeared to stand on conservative point of view and presented this as a case of the government bias or something like that. jdobbin deliberately omitted about a thousand of other recepients. This is a pure distortion of the truth.

Do the other recipients fan the flames for separation?

You've gone from copmplaining about a $27,000 subsidy to now saying that "Harper hates Canada".
The CBC gets $1 billion a year. I wouldn't call that "nothing".

----

I'm with Argus above. I think alot of these subsidies should be stopped or handed over to provincial governments. As it is, the federal government doles out an endless stream of subsidies to a wide variety of magazines and, yes, that sometimes includes magazines of "separatist" opinions.

Link

You've gone from copmplaining about a $27,000 subsidy to now saying that "Harper hates Canada".

I was actually pointing out that the subsidy supports a magazine that has a long history of fanning separatist flames.

Harper hates the present Canadian federal system. He leans towards separate nation status with only a loose affiliation.

The CBC gets $1 billion a year. I wouldn't call that "nothing".

Do they support separation or are they an instrument of public policy for national unity?

I'm with Argus above. I think alot of these subsidies should be stopped or handed over to provincial governments. As it is, the federal government doles out an endless stream of subsidies to a wide variety of magazines and, yes, that sometimes includes magazines of "separatist" opinions.

That is a separate issue about cuts.

I have not seen anything to suggest that other magazines of a separatist fashion have been supported. You know of this?

Edited by jdobbin