Mistakes will happen in government stimulus spending: Flaherty

jdobbin

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090225/...aherty_spending

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty says the Canadian economy is in such dire straits he is prepared to risk making mistakes and will rush stimulus spending so it can speed economic recovery.

The finance minister said Wednesday it is essential to get a portion of the $40-billion stimulus package in the budget spent soon after April 1, the beginning of the government's fiscal year.

I guess apologizing in advance is to mitigate the assessments of the government's performance throughout this year.

Hopefully, there is no catastrophic decision making done this year.

Hopefully, there is no catastrophic decision making done this year.

hope springs eternal... but as a disproportionate amount of the stimulus monies have been/will be tagged to CPC ridings, disaster recovery planning can be so concentrated for best results. See - always a silver lining.

Well if there is I'm sure Ignatieff will support it even as he denounces it.

Yes, he's promised Canadians that he will. Hopefully, he'll keep his promise until the first mandated budget report. That doesn't mean he can't question certain spending, because that's what the opposition is supposed to do. For now he's going to let it play out, thank gawd We've got to get on with it.

hope springs eternal... but as a disproportionate amount of the stimulus monies have been/will be tagged to CPC ridings, disaster recovery planning can be so concentrated for best results. See - always a silver lining.

It should go to ridings most affected by the economic crisis; but that's too practical. I no longer care where it goes, as long as they just do something already.

Wait for Ignatief to ramp up his disapproval of government action on the budget in his first review. By the second review, he'll be calling for resignations and or an election. By the last review he'll pull the plug on Harper and have all the ammunition to bet Harper at his own game.

I see Harper falling hook line and sinker into Ignatief's budget trap set for him last month. As I see it Harper would have been in a better position to called for an election over the economy then to let Ignatief continually point out how much a failure he has been at stimulating the economy. Of course Harper's plan won;t have any real effect for at least 1 1/2 years but the public wants to see change now. And if Ignatief plays it right by the time we go to election and he becomes prime minister the economy will have begun its upturn.

Harper can't win.

Edited by charter.rights

When one needs to move quickly in the business world, there's a saying "Fail fast and fix it". It's an acknowledgement that when many things need to be done quickly, mistakes might be made, so be prepared to recognize mistakes and make a correction. There are times when a go slow approach or a do-nothing approach simply won't work. Flaherty is just admitting that this is one of those times.

Edited by Keepitsimple

When one needs to move quickly in the business world, there's a saying "Fail fast and fix it". It's an acknowledgement that when many things need to be done quickly, mistakes might be made, so be prepared to recognize mistakes and make a correction. There are times when a go slow approach or a do-nothing approach simply won't work. Flaherty is just admitting that this is one of those times.

It will only work of the lazy buggers that attend the meetings actually read the material first. One of the reasons we are in this pickle is because of lazyness...some one should oversee these little boys and girls and make sure they do their homework - apparently they did not and failed to make the grade.

It should go to ridings most affected by the economic crisis; but that's too practical. I no longer care where it goes, as long as they just do something already.

NIce you don't care where the money is spent just so long as it is spent. typical Liberal thinking.

As a past supporter of the CP's and the Libs, I want the government to have a website that shows Canadians were they are spending our tax dollars. In saying that, I want to know were this government over spent by 15 Billion. I want ALL governments to be accountable to the tax payers. Now, do I believe the Tories wil have this website like Obama has the the Americans, NO!! I want know also, were that 3 Billion emergency fund came from and I want to know were the money came from to pay down the debt.

Now, do I believe the Tories will have this website like Obama has the the Americans? NO!!

Actually, if you had watched either: Politics, With Don Newman; or Power Play, with Tom Clark, you would know that they probably will, as all parties agree that such a system should be put in place.

Wait for Ignatief to ramp up his disapproval of government action on the budget in his first review. By the second review, he'll be calling for resignations and or an election. By the last review he'll pull the plug on Harper and have all the ammunition to bet Harper at his own game.

I see Harper falling hook line and sinker into Ignatief's budget trap set for him last month. As I see it Harper would have been in a better position to called for an election over the economy then to let Ignatief continually point out how much a failure he has been at stimulating the economy. Of course Harper's plan won;t have any real effect for at least 1 1/2 years but the public wants to see change now. And if Ignatief plays it right by the time we go to election and he becomes prime minister the economy will have begun its upturn.

Harper can't win.

Sadly, I can see your point.

The shrewd politician would have let the coalition form the gov't and sit back and watch it implode.

But the ecomomy, there's an elephant in the room and it's name is oil. Oil is at $45 a barrel , as of this am we're paying $3.87 a gallon for fuel. If the oil/gas/broker/speculator cabal starts to ratchet oil up again our tax dollars poured into the stimulus packeges might as well be in the toilet.

If it stays as is, the stim-pac's will accomplish nothing.

Edited by 85RZ500