How much longer is this recession going to last?...

Aren't there enough vacant homes on the market already?

No but there are homes that people don't want, in neighbourhoods that people don't want to live in, that cost more than people are willing to pay.

I'll go on record by saying I think we will start to see the economy rebound in earnest by US Thanksgiving...novemberish....the signs are starting right now...

That's not unreasonable given the timing for consumer spending, but I think we have yet to see the impact of the big commercial property / lease glut that is growing larger every day. Weak hands are folding like cheap lawn chairs.

Still, I like your optimism, and dipped back into a U.S. Mid Cap fund today. It's hard to catch a falling knife, but it's easy to catch a bouncing puck. Just hope it's not a dead cat bounce.

That's not unreasonable given the timing for consumer spending, but I think we have yet to see the impact of the big commercial property / lease glut that is growing larger every day. Weak hands are folding like cheap lawn chairs.

Still, I like your optimism, and dipped back into a U.S. Mid Cap fund today. It's hard to catch a falling knife, but it's easy to catch a bouncing puck. Just hope it's not a dead cat bounce.

Media in Canada have been instructed to bring up the mood and hope of the population - there are cheery positive messages going out - The people are the money - money is nothing without them..the people become worn down and recessive - then recessions set in - then wait a bit and they bottom out into a spiritual and emotional depression - and economics follow - It is not the other way around..People depress the economy - not the economy the people.

As for consumerism, we had better re-think that culture. We are more than producer - feeds consumer and consumer shits it out and endlessly repeats the process..what are we? Damned bacteria for Christ's sake? All is well as long as the sun shines and you are eating with a sweet place to sleep - and the house hold is cheery..

After my father died - my mum slowly sold off the properties and eventually we were broke - We had 50 pounds of potatoes and a dub of beef lard ...we survived the winter - If it got cold, my older brother and I would take the sled out in the moon light to get fire wood - laughing all the way - and the home fire burned and we ate - and NOT once did we believe we were poor...in a few years we owned a private lake stocked with trout and were driving a Mercedes...then down we went again and up again - It's a an adventure..enjoy it!

I'm quite happy with a Goldilocks economy..which our wasn't in the past ten years....always be on guard when the porridge is too hot, it means sooner or later, usually sooner than you want it will cool down quick.

I'm quite happy with a Goldilocks economy..which our wasn't in the past ten years....always be on guard when the porridge is too hot, it means sooner or later, usually sooner than you want it will cool down quick.

And beware of the wolf that wants your bed saying that you have not paid for it - and seeing that he did not pay for it but simply declares it is his and we believe him and exit.

And beware of the wolf that wants your bed saying that you have not paid for it - and seeing that he did not pay for it but simply declares it is his and we believe him and exit.

Wasn't that Little Red Riding Hood ?

Either way, recession is just an excuse for not making as much money as before.