Disappointed In Ignatieff?

For someone with supposed superiour credentials and intellect, after hearing Iggy speak a few times - I am disappointed in his approach - his tone --- his obvious dishonesty and second rate play acting -- He is weak! His voice is that of a girly acedemic and that of a man with no real old fashioned manhood to speak of..What say you? Were you expecting something more dynamic after the great build up? The guy strikes me as a well versed non-entity --- Is this what we have to look forward too?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For someone with supposed superiour credentials and intellect, after hearing Iggy speak a few times - I am disappointed in his approach - his tone --- his obvious dishonesty and second rate play acting -- He is weak! His voice is that of a girly acedemic and that of a man with no real old fashioned manhood to speak of..What say you? Were you expecting something more dynamic after the great build up? The guy strikes me as a well versed non-entity --- Is this what we have to look forward too?

This was pure politics. Before his support he made it clear to establish this budget as one that wasn't a Liberal budget. Ignatieff couldnt guarantee a win now, so he will wait a bit and when the budget proves largely ineffective (which it most likely will) he can proclaim Harper's wrong doing and that he gave them a shot, while not being lumped in with the left (Layton).

Besides did we really expect more from someone with such great foresight as to base his entire political career on the invasion of Iraq?

I'm not disappointed in him, I knew he was a jerk the first time I laid eyes on him and heard his babble.

I watched him present the Liberal ammendment motion. He was insulting, pure arrogance and ignorance.

He talked to the government like they were his students, the man is bloody offensive.

But here's the best part, 2 minutes after the cameras left the house, they had Jay Hill on camera. He said the Conservatives were OK with the Liberal demands.

Ha' part of the ammendment says that all parts of Canada must be treated equally. The cable guy from Newfoundland is already telling the Liberals to vote the budget down because it shortchanges them on the transfers. I hear Quebec is in the same boat.

So if the two provinces say they're not being treated equally, Ignatief cannot support the budget and must, by his own words, vote it down.

Stay tuned, the intellect drop-in may cook his own goose yet.

Besides did we really expect more from someone with such great foresight as to base his entire political career on the invasion of Iraq?

Base his entire career on the invasion of Iraq? Where does that come from?

After 9/11 Canadians emotions were stirred and support of the U.S. unwavering. However, we were still able to speak our mind freely.

When Bush decided to go into Iraq, we were divided but still able to speak our mind freely.

Anyone living in the U.S. did not have that option. Something called the 'Patriot Act' took away the very freedoms they were fighting for.

Supporting the War in Iraq didn't mean he based his political career on it. He agreed that Sadham had to be stopped, but even if he didn't agree with the invasion, would have been arrested if he spoke that out loud, especially to his students.

However, we all know how Harper felt about the Iraq War. Ummm ...what Howard said.

It's the way Ignatieff speaks that draws me to him. Rather than using empty rhetoric, he speaks to us with the understanding that we're smart enough to know what he's saying. I respect that. I look forward to being able to make decisions based on what he tells me without having to wait for the media to spin it. He speaks unscripted, clearly, and without pretension.

I'm so glad this is what we can now look forward to. No more mind numbing babble.

I watched him present the Liberal ammendment motion. He was insulting, pure arrogance and ignorance.

He may have been savouring the moment, well earned. After three years of Harper arrogance, the country watched him get put in his place. This will be my JFK moment. 'Where were you when intelligence finally won, over what Conservative Party execs refer to as 'juvenile behaviour' from Harper and his frat boys?' I was singing from the rooftops.

They've washed the stupid off the walls of the Oval Office. Iggy is using their cleaning crew.

However, if you prefer empty rhetoric, read the National Post.

pfffft

surely we don't need to revisit the lies that predicated the invasion - the lies that pulled millions of Americans into initially accepting the invasion - the same lies that provided the rationale for many of the world's key profile politicians and leading analysts and media commentators. Eventually the truth came forward. Ignatieff has recanted his initial support many times - this NY Times article says it all:

Getting Iraq Wrong

oh my - imagine a politician actually admitting mistakes in judgement

pfffft

surely we don't need to revisit the lies that predicated the invasion - the lies that pulled millions of Americans into initially accepting the invasion - the same lies that provided the rationale for many of the world's key profile politicians and leading analysts and media commentators. Eventually the truth came forward. Ignatieff has recanted his initial support many times - this NY Times article says it all:

Getting Iraq Wrong

Great article. Thanks so much. Even Colin Powell, a man I have long admired, got it wrong. Americans were duped. Fear and renewed patriotism made them want to believe that the quilty would pay. Sadly the innocent paid and Bin Ladin is free to roam. This generation's biggest shame.

is it that difficult for you to provide the foundation for your disappointment? You know - something beyond a feeble attempt to demean his credentials and intellect balanced against the shallowness of interpreted tone, questioning manhood and catch phrases?

what obvious dishonesty?

(Full moon?)

What? Not enough spitting and scratching of privates for you?

Ha ha ha ha. I just spit coffee on my monitor.

It's going to take Canadians a while to appreciate that Ignatieff speaks to us as equals. We're just not used to it. Critics want him to be arrogant and start spouting big words we don't understand. It's a new and welcome direction.

Base his entire career on the invasion of Iraq? Where does that come from?

After 9/11 Canadians emotions were stirred and support of the U.S. unwavering. However, we were still able to speak our mind freely.

When Bush decided to go into Iraq, we were divided but still able to speak our mind freely.

Anyone living in the U.S. did not have that option. Something called the 'Patriot Act' took away the very freedoms they were fighting for.

Supporting the War in Iraq didn't mean he based his political career on it. He agreed that Sadham had to be stopped, but even if he didn't agree with the invasion, would have been arrested if he spoke that out loud, especially to his students.

However, we all know how Harper felt about the Iraq War. Ummm ...what Howard said.

You're right about his job being threaten and people like Hannity would have been the first to talk about this "Canadian" professor talking against the war.

Ha ha ha ha. I just spit coffee on my monitor.

It's going to take Canadians a while to appreciate that Ignatieff speaks to us as equals. We're just not used to it. Critics want him to be arrogant and start spouting big words we don't understand. It's a new and welcome direction.

I've got Iggy still on probation and I hope HE is a man of this words and that he holds the Tories to ALL the amends needed in this budget.

Smarmy and arrogant ,speaking like he was talking to school children. I lost all respect for Iggy. I don`t like the budget because I don`t believe you can spend yourself rich. Harper and company should have said so . They know better but they clung to power. Stupid! Should have let the coalition have their five minutes of fame. The Liberals are meanwhile talking out of two sides of their mouths. Look at the deficit ! Oh my gosh the sky is falling! Yet a couple of months ago they were yelling for mad cap spending!

Anyone for starting a REFORM Party?

Smarmy and arrogant ,speaking like he was talking to school children. I lost all respect for Iggy. I don`t like the budget because I don`t believe you can spend yourself rich. Harper and company should have said so . They know better but they clung to power. Stupid! Should have let the coalition have their five minutes of fame. The Liberals are meanwhile talking out of two sides of their mouths. Look at the deficit ! Oh my gosh the sky is falling! Yet a couple of months ago they were yelling for mad cap spending!

Anyone for starting a REFORM Party?

If you listen to the US package, they are spent too. Iggy, being a professor, will always talk the way he does and everyone will take it in different ways. Iggy's problem could be that having amends to the budget and if they don't work the Tories will come back and say its the Libs fault and not ours. If Iggy can get the Tories to get the money into the communities hands for the reconstruction quickly, then we may see things turn positive.

Ignatieff, has been a huge disappointment. He completely caved to Harper. The best he could muster was silly bluster, and threats to do "something" if Harper doesn't get good marks on his report card.

Ignatieff acted like a petulant, toothless, old-fart teacher.

PM Harper doesn't need to say anything. Layton and the Bloc are doing the work for him. PM Harper just needs to keep his cool, appear reasonable and watch the show.

Toro Kaka. You are laying it on way to thick. Your support for Iggy has no bounds. I should get you some Maple Syrup.

Iggy supported the invasion. Deal with it.

Ignatieff has recanted his initial support many times - this NY Times article says it all:

Getting Iraq Wrong

The fact that the man had no courage to stand up against the war is more important then his position to run away from a disaster zone after the fact.

He choose to be with Bush and Harper.

PM Harper doesn't need to say anything. Layton and the Bloc are doing the work for him. PM Harper just needs to keep his cool, appear reasonable and watch the show.

Exactly! If Harper can avoid succumbing to the worst aspects of his character, he'll be Prime Minister for a very long time. The Liberals and NDP will keep the left disunited. The Bloc can be appeased by the Prime Minister giving Quebec a few goodies from time to time or when Bloc supported is needed in the House.

If you listen to the US package, they are spent too. Iggy, being a professor, will always talk the way he does and everyone will take it in different ways. Iggy's problem could be that having amends to the budget and if they don't work the Tories will come back and say its the Libs fault and not ours. If Iggy can get the Tories to get the money into the communities hands for the reconstruction quickly, then we may see things turn positive.

Put it this way. I would rather be in Iggy's position right now than Harper's. Michael Ignatieff did not go around saying 'I will never allow a deficit'. He did not say lets throw money around on useless endeavors. He called for a 'modest deficit' and no 'broad base tax cuts' to stimulate the economy. He also makes it clear that this is a Conservative budget. They want to govern and that is an integral part.

In my paper this morning, under the heading: Liberals Put Tories on Probation: Michael Ignatieff says "This budget is a flawed document that doesn't go far enough to help Canadians who lose their jobs, fails to seize on opportunites to green the economy and lacks a credible plan for getting out of the 85 billion dollar deficit hole.... But the Liberals will back the fiscal plan, with conditions, for the good of the country.

"Should Mr. Harper fail to satisfy the expectations of Canadians, we will be ready to defeat him and lead in his place.... They're (Canadians) tired of political games. They have waited too long for action on the economy for us to fail them now because of partisan interest."

This is a Conservative budget. They alone own it. They alone will get the backlash if it doesn't work.

PM Harper has been in politics his entire life. Ignatieff a couple of years, he was busy living outside Canada for 30 years. He hasn't done or said anything that anyone cared about yet. Don't worry, now that he's in front of the mic daily he'll screw up too, everyone does, it's inevatible. One cannot get in front of a mic everyday unscripted and never screw up. It'll most likely be pretty funny so I'm just waiting.