PM's pre-election travel blitz prompts call for restraint

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...0ASlc-nCwAOQ6ig

Prime Minister Stephen Harper spent nearly $20,000 on hotels and hospitality during 23 trips across Canada in the lead-up to last year's election, his expense accounts show.

Harper spent $16,440 on hotels and another $3,247 on hospitality, while his staff spent nearly $5,000 on "refreshments and snacks," during the cross-country blitz.

The final trip ended Aug. 28 in Dawson City, Yukon, where Harper announced a new Arctic sovereignty policy a week before calling the October election.

More than $200,000 for advance-planning trips by aides is not included in the final costs of the pre-election travels.

I think Harper has probably been spending just as much money to leak his own budget.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...0ASlc-nCwAOQ6ig

I think Harper has probably been spending just as much money to leak his own budget.

That's actually pretty good and fair. Less then a grand a trip for his hotel rooms and meals for 23 trips. He's our PM and deserves to have reasonable accommodations. You want him staying at the Super 8?

$5,000 combined for 23 trips for his staff to have some refreshments is fine as well.

I don't understand the point of this post dobbin.

The GG spent $850,000 on her trips in a year.

Edited by Mr.Canada

That's actually pretty good and fair. Less then a grand a trip for his hotel rooms and meals for 23 trips. He's our PM and deserves to have reasonable accommodations. You want him staying at the Super 8?

$5,000 combined for 23 trips for his staff to have some refreshments is fine as well.

I don't understand the point of this post dobbin.

It was election spending as Democracy Watch points out. If the Liberals did it you would up in arms.

The GG spent $850,000 on her trips in a year.

On trips that the prime minister asked her to take. She is head of state and not making election announcements.

The PM asked her to take a private jet to France for vacation?

:rolleyes: Did she spend $850 000 there? Oh, and the RCMP and the military insist that she not fly on public airlines. She almost always flies on a Military Challenger or Airbus.

Edited by Smallc

It was election spending as Democracy Watch points out. If the Liberals did it you would up in arms.

On trips that the prime minister asked her to take. She is head of state and not making election announcements.

It wouldn't bother me at all if the Liberals were honest for a change. Probably how they got caught on ADScam, their books kept saying zero expenses.

It wouldn't bother me at all if the Liberals were honest for a change. Probably how they got caught on ADScam, their books kept saying zero expenses.

More misdirection on your part. How about you being honest about how you think the Jews are lying about the numbers of dead in the Holocaust?

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel, Dobbin.

The head of CIDA spent twice this amount to attend a conference in Africa. Your guess which use of taxpayer's money accomplished more.

But I'll agree with you that in both cases, the two people were spending other people's money, obtained through coercion.

Edited by August1991

That's a peculiar way to look at it.
I voluntarily give my money to Tim Horton's when I buy their coffee or buy their shares

See what happens if you don't give your money to the government.

[bTW smallc, have you ever wondered why the Canadian government can borrow money at such a low interest rate? Lenders know that the Canadian government can put people in jail if they don't pay their taxes.]

Edited by August1991

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel, Dobbin.

When it comes to government spending, I think I am one of the few who is actually consistent here.

The head of CIDA spent twice this amount to attend a conference in Africa. Your guess which use of taxpayer's money accomplished more.

Leaking a budget accomplished more?

Flying all over the country making election spending announcements accomplished more?

And by the way, which Tory minister authorized the CIDA trip you so oppose?

But I'll agree with you that in both cases, the two people were spending other people's money, obtained through coercion.

And you yearn to be free in a completely libertarian society devoid of government.

[bTW smallc, have you ever wondered why the Canadian government can borrow money at such a low interest rate? Lenders know that the Canadian government can put people in jail if they don't pay their taxes.]

So can Tim Horton's if you try to skip out on your coffee. And they can do it faster than the government can.

When it comes to government spending, I think I am one of the few who is actually consistent here.

Flying all over the country making election spending announcements accomplished more?

And by the way, which Tory minister authorized the CIDA trip you so oppose?

And you yearn to be free in a completely libertarian society devoid of government.

Which opposition critic would bitch an moan if they didn't go, then again which opposition senate members spent huge amounts of public money to do a visit to afganistan, but didn't actually make it there?

Dunno. But the Tory minister who approved the CIDA head's trip to a conference in Accra doesn't face the same electorate as Stephen Harper.

And to be honest, the CIDA head doesn't need a minister's decision to travel to Accra.

So can Tim Horton's if you try to skip out on your coffee. And they can do it faster than the government can.
If I don't like Tim Horton's coffee or shares, I don't buy them. I have a choice.

When it comes to Canada, my country, I have fewer choices.

-----

Getting back to the thread title:

Which opposition critic would bitch an moan if they didn't go, then again which opposition senate members spent huge amounts of public money to do a visit to afganistan, but didn't actually make it there?
I think we have a thread title here about how "Conservatives have disappeared".

So, the Prime Minister is damned for not speaking to Canadians. And the Prime Minister is damned for spending money to travel and speak to Canadians.

For some Canadians (Progressive Tory comes to mind), whatever Harper does, it's wrong.

That's right, a committee made up of Liberals and Conservatives. I really don't have much bad to say about the committee though. They do a lot of good work.

It was a waste of taxpayer funds for him to take his commitee their when they were told they would not get in, and they pretty much had the report written before arriving, had he being a liberal being conserned with fiscal repsonable which according to dobin they are he would not have bothered to take them there.

Dunno. But the Tory minister who approved the CIDA head's trip to a conference in Accra doesn't face the same electorate as Stephen Harper.

He faces the exact same electorate as Harper: in the home constituency.

And to be honest, the CIDA head doesn't need a minister's decision to travel to Accra.

But the decision to use First Class travel is at the minister's discretion. That is a Treasury Board decision and that is at the minister's approval.

If I don't like Tim Horton's coffee or shares, I don't buy them. I have a choice.

When it comes to Canada, my country, I have fewer choices.

This was about paying for any product not just Tim Horton's.

Getting back to the thread title:I think we have a thread title here about how "Conservatives have disappeared".

So, the Prime Minister is damned for not speaking to Canadians. And the Prime Minister is damned for spending money to travel and speak to Canadians.

Was he speaking? Seems he was spending. It was election spending before the election was called.

For some Canadians (Progressive Tory comes to mind), whatever Harper does, it's wrong.

Harper used to be against this type of spending. You did too.

Now you seem to seem to think it was all well and good.

I have no problem someone doing their job. Treasury Board approves a gold plated travel plan. This is what I have an issue with.