PM's pre-election travel blitz prompts call for restraint

I have no problem someone doing their job. Treasury Board approves a gold plated travel plan. This is what I have an issue with.

Its always someones else's fault isn't it?

Or can't you accept that liberal would/has wasted tax dollars.

Edited by Alta4ever

So, the Prime Minister is damned for not speaking to Canadians. And the Prime Minister is damned for spending money to travel and speak to Canadians.

mm ... not quite I think ...

I think he's damned for not listening to Canadians, just telling us instead. ;)

Communication is a two way street. Harper's a one way talkbot. :rolleyes:

imo.

Its always someones else's fault isn't it?

I said it is Treasury Board and the minister is responsible for it. Read the article. The minister is responsible for the spending in his department. He can't point to corruption when he approves the spending.

Or can't you accept that liberal would/has wasted tax dollars.

You can't admit that your leader has spent like a drunken sailor from 2006 on. And now he will take Canada into deficit because of his actions.

Edited by jdobbin

I said it is Treasury Board and the minister is responsible for it. Read the article. The minister is responsible for the spending in his department. He can't point to corruption when he approves the spending.

You can't admit that your leader has spent like a drunken sailor from 2006 on. And now he will take Canada into deficit because of his actions.

So because the money was approved it should be spent? I'm sure your liberal friend Collin Kenney could have decided out of fiscal restraint that they shouldn't waste the tax payers funds and just stayed home.

BUt then again the liberals are entitled to their entitlements.

Dion/Layton/Duceppe where willing to do that with reckless abandon, they didn't even know where they were going to spend the 30 billion they just wanted it spent.

So because the money was approved it should be spent? I'm sure your liberal friend Collin Kenney could have decided out of fiscal restraint that they shouldn't waste the tax payers funds and just stayed home.

Harper prevented all Opposition from going to Afghanistan to hide the costs in lives and money. Nice going. How much money has and lives been wasted there that didn't get any oversight?

BUt then again the liberals are entitled to their entitlements.

Dion/Layton/Duceppe where willing to do that with reckless abandon, they didn't even know where they were going to spend the 30 billion they just wanted it spent.

There was no $30 billion.

Harper's intention was to call an election and waste $300 million so he didn't have to face Ignatieff in an election in May.

Edited by jdobbin

Harper prevented all Opposition from going to Afghanistan to hide the costs in lives and money. Nice going. How much money has and lives been wasted there that didn't get any oversight?

There was no $30 billion.

Harper's intention was to call an election and waste $300 million so he didn't have to face Ignatieff in an election in May.

So he has hid the the cost and lives has he, well he is doing an abimssmal job of hiding it because every death has been reported in all the media. Does someone need ot be reminded of the Manley report or is he not a liberal?

So you are living in Harpers head and know what his intentions were? You knew more then anyother liberals stratigist, while Harper was walking circles around your party? He owned the liberal party for the better part of 3 years. The only political mistake he has made thus far was asking for a prorougment of parliment, when he should have asked for an election. Give it a couple of months and he will own Iggy too.

How is Iggy going to justify his support of the Iraq war all of you liberals so have spoken out so fervently about Harper over it. How about the hate for Americans the liberals have but wait you have a leader who has written colums that have started my fellow americans.

So he has hid the the cost and lives has he, well he is doing an abimssmal job of hiding it because every death has been reported in all the media. Does someone need ot be reminded of the Manley report or is he not a liberal?

The Manley Report didn't report the financial costs. The Manley Report didn't look into prison deaths. The Manley Report didn't look into a few things actually.

So you are living in Harpers head and know what his intentions were? You knew more then anyother liberals stratigist, while Harper was walking circles around your party? He owned the liberal party for the better part of 3 years. The only political mistake he has made thus far was asking for a prorougment of parliment, when he should have asked for an election. Give it a couple of months and he will own Iggy too.

So certain are you that there would be an election had he asked?

How is Iggy going to justify his support of the Iraq war all of you liberals so have spoken out so fervently about Harper over it. How about the hate for Americans the liberals have but wait you have a leader who has written colums that have started my fellow americans.

Think Ignatieff already did a mea culpa on that. However, you and Harper would have had Canada in Iraq had he been PM at the time. When will he come clean with how wrong he was?

Edited by jdobbin

Think Ignatieff already did a mea culpa on that. However, you and Harper would have had Canada in Iraq had he been PM at the time. When will he come clean with how wrong he was?

Ignatieff was living in the US at the time and like most living in the aftermath and atmosphere of 9/11 was ready to fight anyone (and if he dared say otherwise would have been arrested under the Patriot Act). I think his initial support of the Iraq War may have even been about the desire to remove Sadham (and of course those weapons of mass destruction). I think Bob Rae also thought we should remove the man. (In fact the US hired him to help with the transition team) It's no longer an issue.

For some Canadians (Progressive Tory comes to mind), whatever Harper does, it's wrong.

Jdobbin started the thread with an article from the Canadian Press about pre-election spending. The opposition assumed Harper was a man of his word, so thought they had another year to prepare. They should have known better.

It's not about who spends the most on travel, entertainment, etc. It was about his Party taking an unfair advantage because the Conservatives could use taxpayers money to campain.They did the same with the pre-election pamphlets that got them into hot water. They were the only ones who knew that Harper was about to break his own fixed date election law.

This saved the Cons a lot of money because we paid for their first leg of the campaign. We just didn't realize it until later. I've always tried to give Stephen Harper the benefit of the doubt, but his actions during this Parliamentary crisis, I now have no doubt. He is a man of no integrity.

That refrain: 'the Liberals did/would do it' is specious anyway.

If the Conservative government lacks integrity (whether that is said in isolation, or even with the word 'too' brayed at the end) then they LACK INTEGRITY. Full stop. Moral bankruptcy is an important trait to take note of in ones leaders and representatives.

If the Conservative government lacks integrity (whether that is said in isolation, or even with the word 'too' brayed at the end) then they LACK INTEGRITY. Full stop. Moral bankruptcy is an important trait to take note of in ones leaders and representatives.

Well said and in keeping with the thread's topic.

We as citizens need to leave the he said, she said, at the door. We also need to leave the partisan crap there too. The reality is that government leaders need to be a lot more cognizant of their spending habits. Reports should be submitted in the Commons for every public dime spent. The public should be aware of the costs of running a government because it simply isn't cheap.

Even so, the spending habits pale into comparison with department budgets and spending there. Far more is hidden and buried deeply than many would believe. Citizens are entitled to know what happens there as well as what the representatives spend on their little junkets. The problems are much more complicated than the public is aware of.

The government leader should not be traveling on seat sales, nor should any government representative on official business. Our goal should be to define what official really is, then design a means of transporting these elected representatives in the safest and most economical manner. That means less flying and an introduction into rail and bus travel. Time isn't a factor in these considerations for most of the travel, and therefore we need to review it.

We as citizens need to leave the he said, she said, at the door. We also need to leave the partisan crap there too. The reality is that government leaders need to be a lot more cognizant of their spending habits. Reports should be submitted in the Commons for every public dime spent. The public should be aware of the costs of running a government because it simply isn't cheap.

Even so, the spending habits pale into comparison with department budgets and spending there. Far more is hidden and buried deeply than many would believe. Citizens are entitled to know what happens there as well as what the representatives spend on their little junkets. The problems are much more complicated than the public is aware of.

The government leader should not be traveling on seat sales, nor should any government representative on official business. Our goal should be to define what official really is, then design a means of transporting these elected representatives in the safest and most economical manner. That means less flying and an introduction into rail and bus travel. Time isn't a factor in these considerations for most of the travel, and therefore we need to review it.

I agree with you. However, the topic and Democracy Watches' concerns were that these were pre-determined, pre-election expenses, which should not be charged to taxpayers. Remember, they are also the ones currently suing the Conservative Party for that election. They are seeking that the 300 million dollars be paid by the Party.

I'm merely addressing the original topic. If it's govt's spending in general then I'd have a lot more to say.

You complain of moral bankruptcy, as do I. Yet you offer no solution whereas I do. We need a public return to the Christianity as Christ is a moral role model. What moral role models are available to people to in secular society? Hollywood stars?

Sadly Canada already has, which has led to the widespread moral bankruptcy of Canada.

I wouldn't say Canada is morally bankrupt. Good Heavens. It's all about your perception of what is moral.

I think War for any reason is immoral. I think intolerance based on a person's sexuality is immoral. I think suggesting that the support of any one political party, as the only true path to God or even goodness, is immoral.

I wouldn't say Canada is morally bankrupt. Good Heavens. It's all about your perception of what is moral.

I think War for any reason is immoral. I think intolerance based on a person's sexuality is immoral. I think suggesting that the support of any one political party, as the only true path to God or even goodness, is immoral.

I dislike war as well except for reasons of self defense of your nation. I agree intolerance of people with alternate sexuality is immoral. Politics is opinion based on ones ideals, nothing more, nothing less.