President of Canada?

Sure it does...especially when Canada gets a new "president".

CBC's reporting doesn't even come close to suggesting such a thing. They keep telling you that they're in the Canadian Embassy in Washington, reminding you that we're outsiders looking in. They delve deeply into all issues. I know you wouldn't be used to such things watching FOX News, so I can't really blame you for your assumptions.

Canadian's don't see this as their President, they see it as an important day in history...a very exciting day at that. I'm sure that over 99% of Canadians know that this isn't their leader.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBC's reporting doesn't even come close to suggesting such a thing. They keep telling you that they're in the Canadian Embassy in Washington, reminding you that we're outsiders looking in. They delve deeply into all issues. I know you wouldn't be used to such things watching FOX News, so I can't really blame you for your assumptions.

Nonsense....just a casual review of CBC comments from many Canadians over the past year is evidence enough of an the obssession, many wondering why so much space has been devoted to American politics at the expense of domestic proceedings. Knowing this means I see a lot more than just Fox News.

Canadian's don't see this as their President, they see it as an important day in history...a very exciting day at that. I'm sure that over 99% of Canadians know that this isn't their leader.

I'm sure you can only speak for yourself.

I'm sure I can extrapolate. I'm also sure I'm quite right.

Of course you can...and you can also be wrong. 99% is generously unrealistic, given education, dual citizenship, resident aliens, and republican wannabes. We already know from the coalition fiasco that many Canadians don't even understand how their government works, same as many Americans. The difference, however, is no wishful thinking about a Prime Minister in the White House.

..enjoy the show.

Oh, I realize that most Canadians know next to nothing about our government system and I at the same time hold no hope that they know that the leader or Canada is Queen Elizabeth II. I do however hold out hope that the vast majority (I'll stick with my 99% number..that's adults btw) know that know that Barack Obama is not their leader....I mean after all, as you so often point out, if there's one thing Canadians know, its that they aren't American.

• 2 weeks later...
The excitement is just part of the campaign afterglow and culmination of effort, soon to be overcome by the realities of office. Obama doesn't even have the degree of "mandate" afforded President Reagan, who moved forward without the benefit of an on side Congress. Obama is going to make hard choices that pit different interests against each other, and he has already alienated the most left-leaning Progressives, just like Bill Clinton.

Agreed. I foresee a really unpleasant awakening for the American public in a few months when the skies haven't parted and everything isn't unicorns pooping rainbows all over the place. I know it's idealistic to say, but just once I would love to see a political leader actually *do* the things they promise and live up to the hype (without getting, you know, assassinated).

It could also be said that Obama brings nothing to the table but ideas, and no substance to back them.

That's my impression too Angus. Michael Ignatieff and Obama operate on different levels when it comes to leadership. This is what MI said:

The thing I think that you appreciate in political leadership—and great leaders have it—is this kind of unfailing sense of reality, and a sense of what’s possible or not possible in any given situation The other thing is that politics is about people, so the judgments that you have to make as a political leader are not about ideas, they’re about what this person might or might not do in this or this circumstance, you know?

http://blog.macleans.ca/2009/02/12/maclean...hael-ignatieff/

Mind you, what MI would do and how he would govern is another story.

However its still very early days, give it a year or two and lets see how he does.

It isn't too soon to evaluate how Canada's love affair with Obama could quickly turn into disappointment.

It was bound to happen. What is surprising is not that it happened but the fact that how a Barack Obama administration with a Democrat congress would adversely affect Canada became obvious less than two weeks after the 44th president of the United States was, albeit awkwardly, sworn in to office.

A lot of Canadians, like Americans and the rest of the world were swept up in Obamamania. Obama’s approval ratings north of the border far exceeded those of our own leaders but given the current crop of federal party leaders, this is hardly surprising. It didn’t take long for reality to come crashing down.

The stimulus package that was introduced in the House of Representatives and the Senate provided “Buy American” clauses that stated companies that receive federal funds for infrastructure will have to use American steel and other products. This constitutes not only a breach of NAFTA and the WTO but illustrates the desire of the current American administration towards protectionism. Although promises have been made to weaken the package’s Buy American clauses, the senate defeated an amendment made by Sen. John McCain (a mere mortal war hero who would be much better for Canada if he were in the White House) to remove the requirement to Buy American. It is too early to forecast exactly what the effect of all this will be in Canada but it won’t be good.

Canada has always done better when the United States had a Republican president and/or a Republican congress. But this fact doesn’t seem to matter to the left in Canada who, as Defense Minister Peter MacKay might say, were smitten with Barack Obama. And many of these Canadians are the ones who were the most virulently anti-American during the Bush administration. NDP leader Jack Layton is a good example of someone who goes on and on and on about the newly elected exalted one with nary a thought about how much damage an Obama administration can do to Canada’s economy. If we are not headed for a trade war, there will always be the specter of one while the Democrats hold almost unlimited power south of the border. This can come to no good at the best of times let alone now when it is at least trendy to say, is the worst economic time since the Great Depression.

-----

What has happened in the earliest of days of the Obama presidency is just the tip of the iceberg. These same Canadians who idolize the new president are those who think that Canada is nothing without our system of socialized health care. And they love the fact that their newest and perhaps only American hero wants to move the U.S. medical system towards the Canadian model. Any significant expansion of government paid health care in the United States will result in millions of Americans who currently have no health coverage and little money being able to go to a doctor. When health care is “free” a lot of people end up going to the doctor when they are not feeling well, as opposed to when they are sick. Expansion of health care will result in a severe shortage of doctors in the United States. To get more qualified physicians, the Americans could look to Namibia or Djibouti but the smart money is on the fact that they will raid Canada first. However Americans expand their system of health care and to what extent they will not become the fourth country in the world (after Canada, Cuba and North Korea) to outlaw private medical services. Many Canadian physicians, who are nothing more than civil servants who have somehow been sucked into paying their own business expenses, will find offers from the U.S. attractive. And as Canada already has a doctor shortage it won’t take too many defections to substantially affect the quality of health care in the country. Those Canadians who constantly whine about our shortage of doctors while opposing any form of private health care are going to be in for a rude awakening when physicians begin heading south.

Those Canadians who worship at the feet of Barack Obama should remember one thing; he may be the Messiah, but he’s the Messiah of the United States.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/8242

I don't know whether Obama will succeed in modeling the US's health care to ours. If he does there is no question it will be to the detriment of our own health care. In the process Canadians will then realize he is the American President and not Canada's.

I had to love it when CBC did their "man on the street" interview with a guy there on Parliament Hill to see Obama. This fellow expressed his great pleasure at having an African-American as "our leader". Forget the fact that Obama's equally European-American... but, our leader?! Only Thomas Walkam echoed my sentiments in his piece in the Toronto Star:

He is not God. He is not even our president. He is a Chicago politician who was elected by and works for Americans, something that Obama understands even if breathless Canadians occasionally forget... Obama may be a fine chap who has a good way with words. But in the end, he's their guy not ours.

No kidding.

[ed. to add]

Edited by g_bambino

Canada now is offically a second runner up in the area of dumbing down our students. A young black girl in Toronto quipped - "It's so good have Obama as O U R president, he will be good for our our nation." The basis of the Obama phenomena is such that a black man raised himself up to take the highest office on earth. He is a highly educated dark skinned white man - raised by whites - had the privledge of upper middle class white society - was installed to pacify the black population and give them false hope. He was installed because the foolish bleeding liberal heart will beat harder and continue to bleed it self out. If Obama was the son of a coal black poverty stricken man from the Congo - then I would be impressed and over joyed - This is an illusion.

What annoys me is that it seems as soon as you are critical of Obama you are considered racist... you have to be careful who you criticize him in front of.

Listening to Oakley this morning on AM640, some woman called in and suggested he belonged to the KKK because he was always critical of Obama...

I really hope this guy can live up to the hope, as well as Ignatief calling him a 'political genius'... but I don't he will ever accomplish as much as people expect him to.

What annoys me is that it seems as soon as you are critical of Obama you are considered racist... you have to be careful who you criticize him in front of.

Listening to Oakley this morning on AM640, some woman called in and suggested he belonged to the KKK because he was always critical of Obama...

This is an American problem and is part of the reason why I think Obama will only be a one term president.

Every well wishing and dellusionally hopeful Canadian liberal flake really believes that Obama is the saviour and the bring of justice - simply on the colour of his skin - that is about as thin and shallow as his skin. Orators that are trained are not the same as the ones who speak for themselves and others - Orators and statesmen are born not created...Obama is a creation. How is it that the peace nicks and those now celebrating the dawning of a new age do not see that he will carry on with the present state of affairs - The man struts for goodness sake - He like the glory and the power - THIS personal glorification is what drives him on.