Canadian Political Polls

"Nationally, Jack Layton’s position is the most popular, supported by

almost 3-in-4 Canadians. Nationally, 72% supported Mr. Layton’s position

that the NDP will support the government for as long as it takes for EI legislation to become law and the new money distributed, including 18% who strongly supported this position. This position has broad appeal

nationwide with no less than 66% in any region indicating they support his

position on the matter. Among New Democrats, 81% are supportive of this

position, while 13% are opposed. The position of the NDP leader is also

supported by 70% of Liberals and 78% of Conservatives."

So 72% of Canadians like what Jack did and even more NDPers like it. I was at the convention 81% of NDPers don't agree on anything so again the NDP make the right move to help Canadians.

The other thing:

Iggy "57% are opposed to this position, including 24% who are strongly opposed to it"

Bird Commentary to follow.

I had to laugh reading this. THere is no NDP meltdown like The LPC spin doctors tried to create. The LPC Chicken has turned into a Turkey, and the NDP ate some crow and their chicken has laid some tastey eggs to share with all political strips.

Yummy.

I will have to go into the history books and see if there was ever a position, decision or choice the NDP made that had 72% support.

Looks like when the NDP lost their free oppose anything ride, and had to make the tough choice, it benefited them to do so.

Politics is a strange bird. :lol:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bird Commentary to follow.

I had to laugh reading this. THere is no NDP meltdown like The LPC spin doctors tried to create. The LPC Chicken has turned into a Turkey, and the NDP ate some crow and their chicken has laid some tastey eggs to share with all political strips.

Yummy.

I will have to go into the history books and see if there was ever a position, decision or choice the NDP made that had 72% support.

Looks like when the NDP lost their free oppose anything ride, and had to make the tough choice, it benefited them to do so.

Politics is a strange bird. :lol:

It's a helluva victory for Jack, in my opinion. While not quite Tommy Douglas levels, it represents probably the first time in decades that the NDP can genuinely say they played a major power-broker role in getting legislation through. I suspect, particularly as this further sidelines the Liberals (and the NDP never minds doing that), that at least until Harper firmly busts through the 40% barrier, that he'll be throwing more bones Layton's way.

If there are any NDP out there who are unhappy about the current romance with the right wingers, they're daft. Politics is the art of the possible, and the only way for the NDP to put their stamp on anything right now is by doing business with the guys that control the legislative agenda. It's either that or they don't co-operate, an election gets called that may actually do them some pretty serious harm electorally (not to mention costing a lot of money they don't have).

The NDP and Jack Layton are finally acting like a federalist party and working in the best interests of Canada and not just himself. Jack Layton is an extremely self-centred man, it's obvious in everything he does. He needs to be the centre of attention with the cameras all on him. I wonder how long it will be before he feels the need to put a non confidence motion of his own out there.

He cannot do it yet as he is being viewed as the man making government work while Ignatieff is seen as the one who is uncooperative atm. Layton needs to play this as long as he can because he needs to sway as many left votes away from the Liberals as possible. He k nows if he loses seats in the next election he could be done.

There is a HD poll out on Jacks position apparently the Liberals were wrong. Effective Opposition was right again.

isn't it "Jack's" position to support EI... than to fall back into a, per typically norm, NDP non-support position of the Harper Conservative government? Or are you saying, "Jack's" position is to now project an ongoing complete and unequivocal confidence in the Harper Conservative government?

I don't expect that too happen.

I personally hope it does. If the Liberals keep Ignatieff the Grits will continue to flounder nationally. If they dump Ignatieff they will drop like a stone and all that soft centre left vote could go to the NDP and the Greens to a lesser extent. Nothing's out of the question at this point. I hope Layton does get to be the Official Opposition, I enjoy hearing him speak and I enjoy his passion. Libby Davies' voice drive me crazy but that's another story...hehe.

Ah I see what you're getting at. Forming a government with Separatists isn't going to play well.

It might not last but the Governor General does have the ability to make a change if she doesn't see progress in the house of commons. All that we'd see is another minority Conservative government. The coalition might get a chance simply because the GG wants to see new initiative but I promise that it would fall apart and instead of another election so quickly she'd look to the CPCs to form a minority parliament.

My sense on this matter though says that support for the Liberals has gradually been shifting towards the CPCs over the last 6 years. The shift began in 2004 when the Liberals called the election and were reduced to a minority parliament. Canadians at the time did not trust the CPCs, but were losing faith with the Libs also and we all remember the statement that "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't." The liberals have since been gradually crumbling and have had unstable leadership. In the meantime I think Canadians have grown less afraid of the Conservatives and we've seen their support gradually increase. If an election was called today I think parliament would consist of either a Tory majority or a very strong minority.

Canada’s Conservatives Have Ten-Point Lead

October 03, 2009

Source- Angus/Reid

Tory 37%

Liberal 27%

NDP 17%

Bloc 11%

Green 6%

Wow, this is truly amazing. These are Dion like numbers. They are showing no signs are stopping either. The Liberals have been in a constant free fall for a long time now. As I've said many time, the more Canadians get to know Ignatieff the more they don't like what they see. They cannot connect with a man who last lived in Canada when Trudeau was the PM and has a villa in the south of France.

Latest poll:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...005?hub=QPeriod

Here are the national results (the differences from a Sept. 3-6 poll are in brackets):

* Conservatives: 41 per cent (+6)

* Liberals, 28 per cent (-2)

* NDP: 14 per cent (none)

* Green Party: 9 per cent (none)

* Bloc Quebecois: 9 per cent (-3)

We'll see if the Tories try for a snap election or whether they will attempt to kick the NDP in the balls to get them to go for an election now.

Edited by jdobbin

Latest poll:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...005?hub=QPeriod

We'll see if the Tories try for a snap election or whether they will attempt to kick the NDP in the balls to get them to go for an election now.

So does Ignatieff still want an election, or are you just goading?

Latest poll:

If the CPC were to try for a snap election, they would fall in the same trap as the LPC did in trying to go for one. (its called CATCH 22) The LPC are being punished in the polls for ignoring the country and reading the polls and going for an election. The strategy backfired. Few would have thought at the time that the party that is statistically equal to the CPC would have been punished for trying to run the odds and gain some more seats. Today, the LPC have the misfortune of getting less seats then Dion. Something considered impossible a short month ago.

The CPC will pull the plug, but while the LPC is stumbling and bumbling, the CPC merely has to sit back and watch it implode. And Its unlikely that the LPC will get the helping hand they received from the NDP and BQ like they did last year when Harper kicked them in the nuts.

The polls show the LPC down, the CPC up and the NDP no change. The BQ numbers are low with the LPC up in Quebec. Not bad all things considered.

The only problem is that the LPC expected to make GAINS in ONTARIO and now the LPC is facing LOSSES in Ontario.

I said it earlier. It was really stupid to target the smallest party in search of gains. But that was the strategy. It is why hte LPC made their announcement of defeating the government in Sudbury. An NDP seat the LPC want to take back.

Now the LPC truly face losing seats in Ontario to the CPC.

Luckily their isn't an election or this would be a strategic error and not just a tactical one.

It hasn't gone as planned.

Edited by madmax

There is certainly a loss of confidence. The Tories can't be trusted. I expect Harper will seriously consider calling a snap election.

Why can't you answer a simple question Dobbin???????

Nobody asked if the Tories could be trusted. Nobody asked if you expected Harper to call a snap election. Nobody asked if there was a loss of confidence.

You were asked if the Liberals still wanted an election or if they were just goading.

Would you please try to actually answer something without using the words "Harper", "Tories", or "rabid, whatever whatever..."?

According to todays release, the LPC are going to support the government on a case by case basis. :blink:

I haven't seen a release to that effect.

I don't know a case at the moment that makes sense to support. The EI change was something that only came about after the Liberals said they lost confidence in the government. Despite the problems in Quebec, the Liberals have made gains there that I don't think would happen otherwise. The NDP are below the Greens.

I haven't seen a release to that effect.

I don't know a case at the moment that makes sense to support. The EI change was something that only came about after the Liberals said they lost confidence in the government. Despite the problems in Quebec, the Liberals have made gains there that I don't think would happen otherwise. The NDP are below the Greens.

Good thing you mentioned the regional breakdown. Many of these are out to lunch compared to other polls. Likely because of poor sample sizes.

Huge Margins of Error

Quebec: 243 -- 6.3 per cent

Ontario: 383 -- 5.0 per cent

West: 300 -- 5.7 per cent

Edited by madmax

Guest Gregory Thompson

has anyone seen that poll on the ctv website! It really does not include the regions of Atlantic Canada, BC, Manitoba which the Liberals would most likely be gaining. What do you expect from a poll conducted by CTV?

has anyone seen that poll on the ctv website! It really does not include the regions of Atlantic Canada, BC, Manitoba which the Liberals would most likely be gaining. What do you expect from a poll conducted by CTV?

No doubt the LPC numbers could be higher, but then so would the NDP numbers.

Maybe they consider these Provinces and Regions part of Canada in the next sample :P

Their polls, not results. They are just released just as much to form public opinion as they are to reflect it.

There is certainly a loss of confidence. The Tories can't be trusted. I expect Harper will seriously consider calling a snap election.

Dobbin, are we going to have a replay of the build up to the last election? It feels like it.

Harper cannot call an election and he won't, he doesn't have to. Ignatieff started down this suicide mission of saying he will cause an election no matter what. Even though he was dropping in the polls like a stone he pushed it anyways.

You need to accept responsibility for your leaders actions and not blame try to blame the Tories for your parties current situation.

Yes. Let's go right now.

Lol, atta boy. Dobbin, the only reason I can think that you'd want an election right now is you want to dump the dead fish Ignatieff asap.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Good thing you mentioned the regional breakdown. Many of these are out to lunch compared to other polls. Likely because of poor sample sizes.

Huge Margins of Error

Quebec: 243 -- 6.3 per cent

Ontario: 383 -- 5.0 per cent

West: 300 -- 5.7 per cent

I always consider the sample size. I guess the question is if the NDP numbers are out of whack there, maybe some other numbers are off as well.