Tory aide tried to scuttle Hanukah event, school says

jdobbin

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if it were a story which suggested that some Liberal had behaved inappropriately, would you also immediately assume that the story was not accurate?

Of coarse I would.

Would I say so? Of coarse not!

I'd be bashing them to high water. Such is politics.

EDIT- I'm not saying it's/or would be a complete fallacy either but I'm sure there is some indulgence.

Edited by Mr.Canada

It belongs to me as it belongs to a Billion others around the world, grow up.

Left wing Christianity is a farce and a fallacy. Gay marriage and abortion aren't Christian values no matter what the Churches downtown say.

If you replaces 'Left wing Christianity' with 'all religions', I would agree with you.

I guess God does not love all equally then.

The Bible you're holding is a Catholic Bible first of all, all Bibles are. Next, it is a council which decides the direction of he Church and the Pope is merely the head of that council.

Thirdly, Sola Scriptura is incorrect in many ways and is flawed. It is not the only infallible source. Scripture and Tradition is the key.

Lastly, Man cannot interpret the Scriptures accurately without the Holy Mother Church. Scripture is the product of Tradition of the Church and neither can be wrong or the Holy Spirit would also be wrong.

Wrong ,Mr.Halton Hills...It is the Holy Bible,not the Holy Catholic Bible...ALL scripture is inspired by God,NOT your Pontiff,and certainly not by your church(or any church for that matter).On the Day of Judgement you will face Him alone and no church,not even your church,will save you from that fact..The Pope only speaks for Catholics.We've had a Reformation and this is not the 8th century.Your Catholic arrogance was one of the motivating factors behind folks like Martin Luther and John Calvin.

Always remember that the obvious corruption of your flawed,human institution known as the ROMAN Catholic Church,and it's intransigence to change and stop thast corruption motivated the events of October 31,1517.Thankfully because of those events,I no longer need to hear,or follow,the stuffy edicts of the claptrap Papacy in Rome because they are only relevent to Catholics.

By the way,you have'nt silenced anyone!You're not that important.In the future,try to keep your head out of the sky because you're blocking all the sunlight.

Edited by Jack Weber

By the way,you have'nt silenced anyone!You're not that important.In the future,try to keep your head out of the sky because you're blocking all the sunlight.

The location of your own head, Mr. Weber, is such that you need never fear the sight of sunlight.... unless you bend way over and spread your legs.

Is it? I've always thought the bible was the translation of interpretation of a translation that is updated regularly to meet the ever changing grammar over the years. There is also no publicly known original text of the bible either. I've compared a couple versions of the bible and there are several subtle differences through out the entire bible. Which makes me wonder which one is more accurate?

My statement was what Martin Luther said after seeing the corruption of the Papacy.In other words,one does not need to take ones petitions to some priest who was ordained by men(who are failed to begin with,and therefore,the entire Catholic Church is a failed institution).We are justified by faith and works,not just works.It was one of the 95 Protestations(or Theses) Martin Luther had with The Vatican.

You are correct,however,that over the years transaltions have changed some of the wording of the Bible.

"God loves us all equally all right but will only reward those that live as He has prescribed."

So how to you feel about war given the whole 'Thou Shalt not Kill' thing? Are all soldiers going to hell?

That is a good question Progressive so if you don't mind I'll address it. This is a point raised often on a christian radio talk show I listen to on CFRA (Ottawa) called "Ask the Pastor". The gist of the pastor's answer from a biblical perspective is well summarized below.

Luke 3:14 allows military service

It is significant that John the Baptist did not tell the soldiers to leave the military when they asked him what it meant to repent: "And some soldiers were questioning him, saying, 'And what about us, what shall we do?' And he said to them, 'Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages'" (Luke 3:14). Since it is, therefore, possible to live a godly life and yet be in the military, it must be because engaging in war is not always sinful.

John 18:36 acknowledges the right of the sword to earthly kingdoms

In this passage, Jesus says: "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting, that I might not be delivered up to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm." When Jesus says that if his kingdom were of this world his servants would be fighting, he implies that it is right for kingdoms of this world to fight when the cause is just and circumstances require it. As Christians, we are citizens of "two kingdoms"--our country on earth, and heaven. Jesus shows us that it is never right to fight for the sake of his spiritual kingdom, but that it is right to fight on behalf of earthly kingdoms (when necessary to counter evil and destruction).

Romans 13:3-4 grants governments the right to use force to restrain and punish evil

Paul writes: "For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath upon the one who practices evil."

Here Paul affirms the government's right to use force in two ways. First, he says that it "does not bear the sword for nothing." Second, he states that government is a "minister of God" when it executes vengeance against evildoers.

Governments, of course, do not have the right to use force for any purpose whatsoever. They do not have the right to use force in order to lord it over their citizens and impose unnecessary restraints upon freedom. There are two purposes for which this text says the government is justified in using force: the restraint of evil and the punishment of evil. The purpose of force is not just to prevent further evil from happening, but to punish evil acts by bringing the perpetrators to justice. Government is acting as a "minister of God" when it serves as "an avenger who brings wrath upon the one who practices evil."

Does the right of the sword in this text extend to the case of war? The immediate context does have in mind the use of physical force in regard to a government's own citizens. But by extension this also implies that if one nation commits an act of war against another nation, the offended nation has the right to engage in self-defense and to avenge the wrong. Would it be consistent to say that a nation has a right to restrain and punish evil committed against it by its own citizens, but not to restrain and punish evil committed against it by another nation? The mere fact that the civil offense was committed by another country does not remove their accountability to the country they attacked.

---

1 Peter 2:13-4 confirms the teaching of Romans 13:3-4

In 1 Peter 2:13-14, we are taught: "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right." Once again, the right of governments to punish evil is affirmed.

Is it right for a Christian to fight in a war?

Since the Scriptures teach that it is right for a nation to engage in a just war, it follows that it is therefore right for a Christian to fight in such a war. Some have argued that non-Christians may fight in wars but believers may not, but this distinction is not found in Scripture. Scripture teaches that it is not sin for a government to engage in a just war, and there is therefore nothing that forbids Christian from being involved in just wars.

http://www.worldviewtimes.com/article.php/articleid-2463

In my understanding of the scripture, soldiers don't go to hell simply because they are soldiers or engage in a war they consider just.

The same reasoning would apply to anyone taking another person's life in self defence. A person would not go to hell specifically because of that act.

• 4 weeks later...
The Pope only speaks for Catholics.We've had a Reformation and this is not the 8th century.Your Catholic arrogance was one of the motivating factors behind folks like Martin Luther and John Calvin.

Always remember that the obvious corruption of your flawed,human institution known as the ROMAN Catholic Church,and it's intransigence to change and stop thast corruption motivated the events of October 31,1517.Thankfully because of those events,I no longer need to hear,or follow,the stuffy edicts of the claptrap Papacy in Rome because they are only relevent to Catholics.

Isn't religion wonderful? Protestants thinking their version of Christianity is superior to the Catholic version. Catholics thinking their version is superior. Christians thinking they're superior to Muslims, Muslims thinking they're superior to Jews... :(