What the Governor General Has to Do!

The urbanites in Toronto and Montreal overwhelmingly voted Liberal, and are generally the haters of Harper, therefore one might assume today, they are smug.

You may be right, but it certainly doesn't seem like a very good attitude to me.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right, but it certainly doesn't seem like a very good attitude to me.

It may not be a good attitude but it's a real one. One that seems to be growing, as well. It illustrates another divide between us, that of rural and urban dwellers. Each has dramatically different values and beliefs. Each feels they aren't getting enough political attention because of the other group.

Just another brick falling out of the wall of unity...

Wait until tomorrow. Analysts are expecting a huge hit the market because of turmoil in the government. To say that what's gonig on in Ottawa will have no effect on the TSX is wrong. That's not what you're saying, is it?

edit: Saying TODAY'S market wasn't because of the politics is splitting hairs. People are expecting the crash tomorrow, so it's possible that at least some of today was from the problems in government.

Nonsense. Today's TSX carnage resulted from oil plummeting over $5 and professional traders pulling the plug on the latest sucker rally - it had nothing to do with Harper's woes or his opponents coalition building.

Nonsense. Today's TSX carnage resulted from oil plummeting over $5 and professional traders pulling the plug on the latest sucker rally - it had nothing to do with Harper's woes or his opponents coalition building.

Not nonsense! The TSX carnage is a result of old fashioned terrific fear and reactionism. Oil can recover but the lose of faith in leadership is a bit more complex - It's like the father of a country cowering during battle and peeing his pants as he tries to lead -----------this would have the effect of creating fear and a loss of hope in the Canadian family....forget the oil - nations are run by people and not by the price of grease spouting from the ground. If I saw my dad (prime minster) chicken out in a fight....I would go home and hide in shame - and hiding in shame destroys confindence and the economy.

The urbanites in Toronto and Montreal overwhelmingly voted Liberal, and are generally the haters of Harper, therefore one might assume today, they are smug.

The rubes in Carrot Creek, Sask. overwhelmingly voted Conservative, and are generally the haters of Liberals/New Democrats, therefore one might assume today, they are fearful.

Not nonsense! The TSX carnage is a result of old fashioned terrific fear and reactionism. Oil can recover but the lose of faith in leadership is a bit more complex - It's like the father of a country cowering during battle and peeing his pants as he tries to lead -----------this would have the effect of creating fear and a loss of hope in the Canadian family....forget the oil - nations are run by people and not by the price of grease spouting from the ground. If I saw my dad (prime minster) chicken out in a fight....I would go home and hide in shame - and hiding in shame destroys confindence and the economy.

Have you ever considered writing nursery rhymes?

The rubes in Carrot Creek, Sask. overwhelmingly voted Conservative, and are generally the haters of Liberals/New Democrats, therefore one might assume today, they are fearful.

Calling rural people rubes, classy. And urban people wonder why rural Canada is pissed off at them all the time. PET's social engineering is alive and well.

It may not be a good attitude but it's a real one. One that seems to be growing, as well. It illustrates another divide between us, that of rural and urban dwellers. Each has dramatically different values and beliefs. Each feels they aren't getting enough political attention because of the other group.

Just another brick falling out of the wall of unity...

There has been a divide between urban and rural since the Victorian era. This is not something new.

I am not a viloent person but I am ready to explode we vote for governments in this country, not back room pork barrelling to decide the government of the day.

Something tells me that you would be lobbying for separation the moment your party was out of office. Fairweather Canadian.

Even defeat in an election would probably be a trigger.

Edited by jdobbin

When the Constitution was written, and the Governor General was given the power to ask the Loyal Opposition if they could form a stable government in the event of the government falling.....it was never conceived that one of the opposition parties would have a mandate to break up the country. This in itself should give the GG pause to think of what constitutes a "stable" government. And if we are resting on tradition....the term "Loyal Opposition" doesn't seem to define the Bloc, does it? It's a complete farce.

Edited by Keepitsimple

When the Constitution was written, and the Governor General was given the power to ask the Loyal Opposition if they could form a stable government in the event of the government falling.....it was never conceived that one of the opposition parties would have a mandate to break up the country. This in itself should give the GG pause to think of what constitutes a "stable" government. And if we are resting on tradition....the term "Loyal Opposition" doesn't seem to define the Bloc, does it? It's a complete farce.

You are not going to have the Governor General declare the Bloc illegal.

I wouldn't doubt it. I could see the NDP vanishing once this is all said and down. A taste of some form of power could do the trick.

NDP's inability to attain national power should be tempered with their record of developing important programs succesfully adopted by the major parties - CPP, medicare etc.

As this downturn spirals further down - we are only in the 2nd inning of a 9 inning affair - it is some comfort that cabinet will include ministers sensitive to needs of average working Canadians.