What the Governor General Has to Do!

I don't think anyone has proof of exactly what happened other than Harper and Jean.

I think the fact that he said "With my ADVICE the Governor General has decided to prorogue parliament"..... it should not have been on HIS advice, it should have been on her advisers advice and have nothing to do with what Harper wanted.

If this was truly the case, we need a new GG... but i suspect he chose his words carefully, and wanted to show that he was still in charge of the situation.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it should not have been on HIS advice, it should have been on her advisers advice and have nothing to do with what Harper wanted.

The Governor General and the Queen usually get advice from their ministers. They usually accept it. That doesn't mean they don't seek other advice to ensure they are making the right choice.

The Governor General and the Queen usually get advice from their ministers. They usually accept it. That doesn't mean they don't seek other advice to ensure they are making the right choice.

Yes, but it is how he worded it... that it was through HIS advice that she prorogued parliament.. not because she had considered a bunch of different people's advice and came to that conclusion.

Really it's just Harper doing his thing... Making it look like he made it happen.

I am on record for saying screw the coalition.
I stand corrected. That said, I don't see any issue with her decision and I don't think any reaonsable non-partisan person could have made any other decision. You must keep in mind that she still has the option of asking the coalition to form a government in 7 weeks - that option has not been taken off the table. All she did was allow for a cooling down period.