SHOULD Canada break up?

The GG has never been taken seriously as a political power by anyone on the inside, it is and has always been a media friendly deflection for the PM's office. No matter how our senators are appointed, they really serve no useful purpose except to support their patrons agendas. Our link to the Britsh crown has been nothing more than symbolic for a very long time and maybe its time to do away with much of our symbolism in favor of effective actual powers in the house. Maybe I'm a little jaded after 39yrs of watching our system fail us time and time again, but I still believe effective, responsible government is possible. I just don't see it happening as long as we keep electing politicians who spend more time avoiding work and spewing the party line rather than supporting their communities,provinces and country. Back channel deals and patronage are the norm because we allow our politicians to get away with it.

The whole system is a JOKE, and I don't like the punch line.

If that is your position Canada should have thought of that in the establishment of the 1982 Constitution and Charter of rights. Did the Canadian people create and vote/agree to this 1982 Constitution and Charter. NO! it was imposed on Canadians by the Queen, the Liberal Party, and the Supreme Court of Canada. If there is such as thing as evil, what has befell Canada since the 1982 Constitution it that. Canada has become economically beholden to the United States and a Cultural Wastland because of this Constitution and Charter. Prior to this, Canada's history wasn't perfect but we as a people were adjusting to each other, but the Puppetmasters had to fak Canada up with this Charter and Constitution.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadians who want to break up the country should dig their heads out of their anuses long enough to take a look around the world and see what real problems look like. Not that I think it will happen anytime soon. The current round of party bickering isn't a reflection on the country as a whole as much as on the machinations of party politics.

If the country did split, the same problems would manifest themselves in the regions.

That's not what the office is about. She is a non partisan representation of the crown. It really is surprising to me how cynical people are given how good we have things.

Yet she is forced to act in a partisan manner by making political appointments in accordance with the wishes of the PM. The GG is not an issue here. Our Senate and the manner in which it is made up is. We have given the PM the power to appoint representatives of the people rather than letting the people chose them. That has no connection with democracy whatsoever.

Yet she is forced to act in a partisan manner by making political appointments in accordance with the wishes of the PM. The GG is not an issue here. Our Senate and the manner in which it is made up is. We have given the PM the power to appoint representatives of the people rather than letting the people chose them. That has no connection with democracy whatsoever.

'And I respect your opinion....but I don't share it.

It's quite easy ask the queen to construct a proclamation establishing the Senetors are to be elected by the people. End of story, problem solved <_<

That's not what the office is about. She is a non partisan representation of the crown. It really is surprising to me how cynical people are given how good we have things.

This is a fundamental difference between teachers and business people. Business people are always looking to make a good thing better, it is essential for their survival and enables them to be better. Why would a teacher rock the boat when they think they have a good thing, it's not in their financial interests to improve.

This is a fundamental difference between teachers and business people. Business people are always looking to make a good thing better, it is essential for their survival and enables them to be better. Why would a teacher rock the boat when they think they have a good thing, it's not in their financial interests to improve.

If I was a teacher, I would tell you.

Top highschool teacher salary in Ontario requiring a Masters degree in ... well anything, and seven years (I beleive) experience is $96K and change, all you have to manage is 24 kids for a little less than 6 hours a day. Average pay for a private sector manager?

I remember when teachers taught cause they loved kids as much, or more, than they loved money, can't say its that way anymore, given their habit of holding kids hostage for salary raises.

Top highschool teacher salary in Ontario requiring a Masters degree in ... well anything, and seven years (I beleive) experience is $96K and change, all you have to manage is 24 kids for a little less than 6 hours a day. Average pay for a private sector manager?

I remember when teachers taught cause they loved kids as much, or more, than they loved money, can't say its that way anymore, given their habit of holding kids hostage for salary raises.

Well in Alberta you only need a grade 9 education to be priemer. reference to Ralph Klien

Elitism at its finest. So voters are too stupid then to be in charge of things, do you not believe in democracy?

What on earth are you talking about? An unwieldly mass of people is too volitile to be in charge of everything; do you want a national vote on all minutae of government? Systems that are balaced best tend to work best, and the proof is in the pudding of history that governments with a balance between elected and unelected elements work quite successfully.

If you believe the GG is a "non partisan" representation of anything, then you have bought into the lie.

As for being represented by the members of any house, it is obvious to most Canadians, that we only get actual representation during or leading into an election, and by all means, someone prove me wrong.