Flaherty to slash public funding for federal parties

jdobbin

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Infrastructure'

Isn't that a French word meaning 'send billions to Quebec'?

That's how the Tories do it.

An infrastucture agreement that the Tories were mulling but seem unwilling to enact at the moment is for every municipality to have projects on roads, sewers, water and bridges.

The Liberals proposed as much in their platform too.

They certainly might have to go up once the economy has recovered to pay for the deficit.

Pot meet kettle. It's all right for the Liberals to run deficits when they are in power, but God forbid the tories do. For somebody as fiscally conservative as you claim to be, you should be outraged at the Liberals proposal to run the deficit. Let's see some consistency here.

Let the opposition in, let them bungle the economy, let the tories get a new leader.

Pot meet kettle. It's all right for the Liberals to run deficits when they are in power, but God forbid the tories do. For somebody as fiscally conservative as you claim to be, you should be outraged at the Liberals proposal to run the deficit. Let's see some consistency here.

Let the opposition in, let them bungle the economy, let the tories get a new leader.

boils down to if Steve is a man of his word he made a election promise to not run a deficit thats the difference.

I am outraged. It is why I think the Liberals should cut other spending before going whole hog on an infrastructure project.

I guess we'll see you next year. So who will be the next Tory leader?

I am outraged. It is why I think the Liberals should cut other spending before going whole hog on an infrastructure project.

I guess we'll see you next year. So who will be the next Tory leader?

Get ready to see our taxes shoot up in the coming years. I am not a happy camper with this turn of events. My taxes finally went down significantly, and now they are about to shoot back up and I can't see them coming down.

I am most definetely not tory brass. It would be neat if I was, but I'm not. The way the tories dressed up Harper, and worked on him, anyone could be leader. If I were Bernard Lord, I'd be sharpening my knives.

boils down to if Steve is a man of his word he made a election promise to not run a deficit thats the difference.

He's not going to run a deficit, we have a 100 mill. surplus. Next election, the "opposition" has to go to the electorate and explain why they want to go into deficit and why they are going to want to either raise taxes or cut services to pay for it. This crisis will be over in a couple of years, do I want to be paying high taxes when the economy picks up?

Get ready to see our taxes shoot up in the coming years. I am not a happy camper with this turn of events. My taxes finally went down significantly, and now they are about to shoot back up and I can't see them coming down.

Harper put us in the situation. I trust the Liberals to cut spending before going to higher taxes

I am most definetely not tory brass. It would be neat if I was, but I'm not. The way the tories dressed up Harper, and worked on him, anyone could be leader. If I were Bernard Lord, I'd be sharpening my knives.

I wonder if Lord like McKenna will say that he makes too much money to consider federal politics.

He's not going to run a deficit, we have a 100 mill. surplus. Next election, the "opposition" has to go to the electorate and explain why they want to go into deficit and why they are going to want to either raise taxes or cut services to pay for it. This crisis will be over in a couple of years, do I want to be paying high taxes when the economy picks up?

maybe on technicality but he did blow our $10billion dollar surplus in exchange for a $100million surplus to me that is going into the red if you know what I mean. What is Steve going to do when he has no more surplus cash to spend he will drive a deficit. By no means am I a Liberal fan but atleast they were fiscally conservative. The 1% GST cutt made no difference to me or most people same goes with the tax rebates made no diference to most people. I also have no problem paying taxes its a fact of life and are needed to run a country, no problem in doing my part.

So in a difficult economy, you believe decreasing the spending power of consumers by overtaxation is a good thing?

If it puts people to work and keeps industries from collapsing......and who decides when we're overtaxed or under taxed? Where is this imaginary line that Conservatives seem to draw?

Yes, it is all Harper's fault. He alone is responsible for the mortgage crisis in the US.

Of course, the Liberals would never do anything untrustworthy. :rolleyes:

Reason this mess was created was giving credit to people who are most like to default. it was Harper who introduced the 40 year mortgage, he is very much to blame.

Yes, it is all Harper's fault. He alone is responsible for the mortgage crisis in the US.

He is responsible for his spending and tax cuts. These led to him to accepting that he was going to go into deficit.

Of course, the Liberals would never do anything untrustworthy. :rolleyes:

Ditto the Tories. I think the promise was to be more conciliatory. Way to throw gasoline on something, laugh your ass off and then find the fire is blowing your way.

Harper put us in the situation. I trust the Liberals to cut spending before going to higher taxes

I wonder if Lord like McKenna will say that he makes too much money to consider federal politics.

The beauty of the coalition. The NDP booted the Liberals out of government when the Liberals wanted to cut taxes. If this coalition is to work then the Libs must play ball with the NDP, expect taxes to rise.

The lefties should hope Lord makes too much money to consider federal politics. I'd like Lord as PM.

maybe on technicality but he did blow our $10billion dollar surplus in exchange for a $100million surplus to me that is going into the red if you know what I mean. What is Steve going to do when he has no more surplus cash to spend he will drive a deficit. By no means am I a Liberal fan but atleast they were fiscally conservative. The 1% GST cutt made no difference to me or most people same goes with the tax rebates made no diference to most people. I also have no problem paying taxes its a fact of life and are needed to run a country, no problem in doing my part.

Is Harper running a corporation? A surplus is a surplus no matter how small it is. Harper can cut spending, there are lots of programs that could use the axe, but the electorate won't like it. The GST cut made a huge difference to me. I am happy with all the money I saved. How much taxes are you willing to pay? Overtaxing the population isn't fiscal conservatism, its theft.

I'm wait for people to remember that the last Tory government ran massive deficits and this one is about to as well because they can't control themselves.

Not as massive as the one the Liberal-NDP-Bloc are planning on running. I'll wait for you to remember that it was Trudeau who ran massive deficits and that Mulroney had to run them in order to pay off the interest.

The beauty of the coalition. The NDP booted the Liberals out of government when the Liberals wanted to cut taxes. If this coalition is to work then the Libs must play ball with the NDP, expect taxes to rise.

The NDP has just said in the last hour that other priorities concern them. The pressure of governing sure puts a sharp focus on promises made in the election.

The lefties should hope Lord makes too much money to consider federal politics. I'd like Lord as PM.

Start the draft now. It certainly will make the rest of the week interesting.

Is Harper running a corporation? A surplus is a surplus no matter how small it is. Harper can cut spending, there are lots of programs that could use the axe, but the electorate won't like it. The GST cut made a huge difference to me. I am happy with all the money I saved. How much taxes are you willing to pay? Overtaxing the population isn't fiscal conservatism, its theft.

I would have done better with an income tax cut.