Consumer Confidence?

Bryan

I keep hearing in the media about sagging consumer confidence, and how retailers are seeing huge drops in sales.

I have to wonder who they are surveying for this info. I have never seen such a huge uptick in shopping as I have seen in the last week. Every mall and stand alone store I went to this week was crowded beyond belief. The parking lots were full (even the overflow), the aisles were jammed, and the lines at the tills were longer than I've ever seen them.

Christmas is still over a month away. The real "rush" hasn't even started yet, and I already have to wait 20 minutes in line at Costco, and I have to park across the street at Canadian Tire? It's crazy!!!

I can't remember where I saw this poll (CBC, G&M or CTV site), but their daily internet poll asked the question whether or not the economy has affected how people spend. Given that it's an internet poll, you have to take the results with a grain of salt, but around 50% were in the two top choices where they had made big changes to their spending habits.

I own a business and on a personal level, I can honestly say I've never hit such a stump before in my sales... ever. I also talk to a lot of business owners and there's nothing but gloom in the air.

Two of my friends were laid off in the last month as well because their companies aren't making their targets.

My plans to renovate my condo are also on hold, so in a way I understand. If my clients are anywhere as concerned about the uncertainty that awaits us as I am, I can't blame them for holding onto their money.

the question is how much are they spending while there?

Personally, my family and I will try to but the same quantity of gifts this season, maybe a few less, but we've all agreed the value of those gifts will be a lot less then they have been in the last few years

I also remember reading that many stores were starting sales early this year, so the "rush" not be as big as you expect because many are taking advantage of these sales early

Edited by drewski

I have friends and family who work in retail and they are seeing a noticable slow down in spending by customers. People are still shopping, however they are spending less and reducing the number of discretionary items they purchase. Businesses will be squeezed by this for sure, but it will not last forever. Five years from now and ten years from this recession will be a distant memory.

Edited by Kenny

I would say that you are not seeing it because for the most part, our province isn't experiencing the drops of the rest of he country in terms of confidence and growth. Saskatchewan is in a similar situation...though that could change if the price of oil keeps falling.

I would say that you are not seeing it because for the most part, our province isn't experiencing the drops of the rest of he country in terms of confidence and growth. Saskatchewan is in a similar situation...though that could change if the price of oil keeps falling.

Consumerism in the long run really does not serve the best interests of the majority of the population. There are woman and men that are not happy unless they are involved in endless work and endless spending and the accumulation of stuff that of the most part they do not need. Climate change and the fall of American banking instutuions are a direct result and the end game that is mindless consumerism. NOW the only reason that oil prices are falling is that the super greed driven have figured it out that the population can not stand any more consumeristic vampirism and the health and strength of the populace is waining...hence - once the poor consumer becomes poor the rich elite become poor - so they backed off for a while to let us catch our breath - they will be back when they are hungry again.

I hope all the "greedy fat slob executives" in corporations all starve during this upcoming crisis.

There are very few greedy fat slob executives. They tend to meticulous about appearence, have personal trainers and work out a fair bit.

All I want is a dentist - Is that to much to ask? - and maybe a Lear Jet .....nawh not really....getting back on track - confidence is faith and faith is blind belief...but it is confidence that makes things happen and happen well. Once the population become depressed emotionally - economic depression follows. The media is killing us and unknowingly if they continue to depress us - THEY will have no one to propogate to and they will be out of work - such untouchables need a life lesson - number one - shut your mouth and stop projecting gloom- that manifests into the physical world...causing real poverty by the act of demoralization...money is a religion, so maybe we should do our best to ensure the illusion continues - maybe we are punishing ourselves? :unsure: