The Conservative Convention

jdobbin

Looks like Harper is taking nothing to chance. Much like the rubberstamping Chinese parliament, all policies had to be approved in Ottawa first.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...12?hub=Politics

Because the Conservatives won the Oct. 14 federal election, there is no leadership review required for Harper, who won the endorsement of 84 per cent of delegates at the 2005 convention.

Each of the 308 Conservative riding associations can send up to 12 delegates to Winnipeg, but organizers don't expect a full turnout.

Post-election fatigue and pre-Christmas conflicts are two factors. But equally germane are the rules governing political donations, which count the $850 convention fee against an individual's $1,100 annual maximum donation. For partisans who already maxed out their contribution in this election year, the convention fee would put them over the contribution limit.

Makes you wonder how many MPs are over their max and won't be able to attend the convention? Who exactly will be at this convention? All those who didn't contribute to the election?

Edited by jdobbin

Members of the party will be at the convention. If they are over their max they can still attend, just not deduct the amount. What's your point.

Actually, they can't be over the amount. I think that is my point. The Tories tried this once before, remember?

I imagine there are ways around any legal issues with it. Inviting them to it for example.

Still sounds like a loophole. I know the Tories had the courts hand it to them the last time they thought it was legal. It seems their lawyers often get it wrong.

That loophole as you call it, may come in handy for the Liberals when they meet in Vancouver in the spring. For that reason, I would be surprised if the Liberals made an issue of this.

Wouldn't have to have a loophole at all if the government hadn't fixed the rules on conventions last session.

Harper's speech at the convention.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Prime Minister Stephen Harper told party faithful that Conservatives need to take a pragmatic approach to the economic challenges ahead as the Tories opened their first policy convention in three years.

This sounds good to me, we have to be practical in these times and thank goodness we have a PM who has the vision to see just what Canada needs.

As Canada's national party and with support from all regions of Canada he and the CPC have a strong pulse of this great nation, from coast to coast to coast and in urban and rural areas. The Liberals are reduced to running in circles in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver which is hardly having people as spread out as our PM's party.

Don't be jealous of the CPC's superior fund raising skills guys just support your party, only 20% of Liberal party members do that compared to 80% of CPC members.

Edited by Mr.Canada