Knives out for Palin

Palin did not know Africa was a continent. Bumbling politicians can come back, people who can't spell potato don't.

As I said, I'll be skeptical of this sort of anecdote. She's obviously not very well informed, but I have a hard time believing that she's *that* ignorant. My mention of Dion was to remind people that in the wake of a loss, people will be looking to assign blame and position themselves for the next time around. Palin's in the same position.

-k

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think she helped any, but I don't think McCain wins with any VP candidate.

People questioned his judgment which wasn't good.

While many in the conservative base were fired up, many others strayed after the novelty.

I think he would have been better served by picking someone else. Could he have won? I don't know. I honestly think he didn't have a good campaign and he should have tackled the issue of the economy a year ago rather than being so focused on his national security credentials.

First off, the economy made this a bad year to be a Republican running for office.

I agree. However, McCain was not engaged enough on the subject of the economy and admitted his weakness in the area.

Palin might not have delivered "Hilary voters" in any great numbers, but she did apparently bring out the evangelical kooks who are apparently a crucial component of any Republican campaign. These types treated Palin like a rock star, and without them I think McCain's defeat would have been more lopsided.

Quite possible. But how many people like Powell did McCain lose by choosing Palin? I think the evidence is that a lot of independents and other moderate Republicans might have lost faith in McCain in his choice.

"Curtis Gans, director of American University's Center for the Study of the American Electorate, said percentage turnout was lower because Republicans stayed away from the polls.

Disappointment over Sen. John McCain's choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, combined with a perception that the ticket would lose, prompted many would-be Republican voters to ditch the polls on Election Day, Gans said.

There was real hostility ... amongst moderate Republicans that McCain would choose the conservative governor, Gans said."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/06/vot...nout/index.html

This observation about the effect of the Palin choice also reinforces my argument, as to why fewer Canadians went to the polls last month. We had our own Sarah Dion

The knives out for Palin are not justified, in my view. She is what she is- the failure rests solely with John McCain. And in that light, the right choice was made.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

The knives out for Palin are not justified, in my view. She is what she is- the failure rests solely with John McCain. And in that light, the right choice was made.
Who cares who's to blame? McCain will likely retire when his senate term comes up and he will join Kerry, Gore and Dole as footnotes in history. What the Republican party needs to do is learn from the failure and do better next time. I doubt they will succeed as long as they pander to the 'palin-type' social conservatives. The Republicans need to do what the Conservatives have done in Canada which is communicate to the social conservatives that they are are not enough of them to win elections so they will have to compromise if they expect to have any representation in government. Edited by Riverwind

Yet he had to follow the wishes of the "base" who do not care if their candidate is brain dead, as long as he or she are right on the issues. He should have been honest, told the social conservative base where to go, and picked Liberman.

Not to disagree, but I think she was chosen to make the base feel that she was one of "them": i.e., a Christian fundamentalist. Once she met the theological test, her qualifications were immaterial.

I dont...unless its Tina Fey doing another cutting job using the "I dont know who's in NAFTA" and " Africa is a continent?"

4 years is a long time to prepare someone to sound like they know what's going on. Don't be surprised at all if Palin comes back. Although it's probably only 2 years before this whole things starts up again. For the Republicans anyway. But even 2 years is enough to teach basic geography and learn how to make it through a Katie Couric interview.

History says otherwise. See Reagan, Nixon, etc.

Anyways guys, the election is over. Save your Palin hate for another few years.

Exactly Shady... save your hatred. Obama is President -- get over it and leave the damn toaster alone! :lol:

Seems the disgruntled right has stolen all the tinfoil hats and talking toasters!

Ha ha... this is going to be so fun over the next few years while we watch the right frothing at the mouth, hording guns and shivering in fear.

Seems the disgruntled right has stolen all the tinfoil hats and talking toasters!

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I was simply stating that Reagan and Nixon lost their initial runs for President. Even Joe Biden ran for President 20 years ago, and ran again, and is now the VP-elect. Please post sober. Thanks.

History says otherwise. See Reagan, Nixon, etc.

True -- wasn't thinking of them, but they are good examples of rebirth after defeat. In my defense, I was thinking of Mondale, Quayle, Ferraro, Edwards, and Lieberman who tried national runs (without success) after defeat at the national level. Reagan never experienced defeat as a member of a national ticket. Only Nixon was able to rise to electoral success after an unsuccessful national run. It will be interesting to see if Palin tries to match Nixon's success. ;)

Reagan never ran more than once for Pres. History is one the side that says , buried if you lose.

Not true. Read your history.

Anyways, think John Edwards, who was picked as VP by Kerry, but lost. He didn't go away, he spent the next several years preparing for his own Presidential run. That's the position Sarah Palin is in, except that she's 1000 times more popular and 1000 times more qualified than an ambulance chasing trial lawyer. You Palin haters may hope she goes away, but she ain't.

I think McCain and his avisors made a calculation: they could neutralize the Obama star factor and force Democrats to raise the issue of experience - which of course would shine the spotlight on Obama's lack of experience and it worked for awhile - I remember seeing the look on Pundits' faces - democrat pundits who are usually sharp and ruthless - and they looked genuinely at a loss - confused and defensive - for a couple of days.

What McCain didn't count on is the relentless MSMedia efforts at "investigating" her (and their complete and utter lack of similar efforts on Obama's past associations).

That sunk her.

She represents what every successful Republican candidate should be: a real conservative.

Americans want that in their hearts.

Unfortunately, the republicans have played their hand for awhile. People hate Bush, no thanks to the media, hollywood and just about every other country in the world.

Even a dyed in the wool, star power conservative like Palin can't beat those odds.

Next time, boys. Next time.

Anyways, think John Edwards, who was picked as VP by Kerry, but lost. He didn't go away, he spent the next several years preparing for his own Presidential run. That's the position Sarah Palin is in, except that she's 1000 times more popular and 1000 times more qualified than an ambulance chasing trial lawyer. You Palin haters may hope she goes away, but she ain't.

I think this in a nutshell is the biggest reason why Palin is already a target for attacks from within the party. Whatever her merits, she has powerful name recognition and an adoring fanbase within the kooky-korner of the party, and that alone will make her a factor if she chooses to be.

-k

Thanks to government-controlled media such as Fox News and Media-Watch, the Patriot Act etc for most of eight years the Republicans had total control and a free hand at almost everything. What was illegal during Nixon's watergate was now legal although still unconstitutional.

Any dissenting voice was shut down. TV personalities had their programs cancelled for voicing out. Citizens were wiretapped as well as arrested without charge and held indefinately. Anybody who dared to disagree with government views and "facts", even government employees themselves were at risk with intimidation. And by the looks of it, that's still continuing on this web site.

The Bush gimmick of allowing "Free Speech Zones" (ironic, huh?) was effectively adopted by China during the Olympic games.

Yes, the Democrat pundits and strategists were initially shaken by the Palin factor, but Obama showed everybody including is own organizers that he was above all of that. He was above all the dirt, lies, misrepresentations and investigations thrown at him and refused to react to any of it. They only needed to have McCain or Palin show up for interviews - that's what did them in.

Regardless of your current opinions, 80% of the world is now relieved the eight-year nightmare is over.

I think this in a nutshell is the biggest reason why Palin is already a target for attacks from within the party. Whatever her merits, she has powerful name recognition and an adoring fanbase within the kooky-korner of the party, and that alone will make her a factor if she chooses to be.

-k

Palin is under attack because she is simple conservatism in the old tradition - where as both houses in Washington are not conservative - just selfishly joined Facists. I like Palin - I would rather have a loving honests simplton govern than an egg head like Carl Rove who killed with the mind just for fun - what a jerk - Why don't the republicans go after the real crimminals instead of attempting to cruixify Palin and devert attention away from the clever crimminals in their ranks - perhaps its sheer lazyness?

Thanks to government-controlled media such as Fox News and Media-Watch, the Patriot Act etc for most of eight years the Republicans had total control and a free hand at almost everything. What was illegal during Nixon's watergate was now legal although still unconstitutional.

Any dissenting voice was shut down. TV personalities had their programs cancelled for voicing out. Citizens were wiretapped as well as arrested without charge and held indefinately. Anybody who dared to disagree with government views and "facts", even government employees themselves were at risk with intimidation. And by the looks of it, that's still continuing on this web site.

The Bush gimmick of allowing "Free Speech Zones" (ironic, huh?) was effectively adopted by China during the Olympic games.

Yes, the Democrat pundits and strategists were initially shaken by the Palin factor, but Obama showed everybody including is own organizers that he was above all of that. He was above all the dirt, lies, misrepresentations and investigations thrown at him and refused to react to any of it. They only needed to have McCain or Palin show up for interviews - that's what did them in.

Regardless of your current opinions, 80% of the world is now relieved the eight-year nightmare is over.

Don't forget that this new dream may yet be a nightmare.

Don't forget that this new dream may yet be a nightmare.

Frying pan to the fire. Personally I can not take the system or it's institutions seriously any more...why would I? I actually have learned to thing in my mature years and there is a lot of deception going on - maybe it's always been this way..?

I think McCain and his avisors made a calculation: they could neutralize the Obama star factor and force Democrats to raise the issue of experience - which of course would shine the spotlight on Obama's lack of experience and it worked for awhile - I remember seeing the look on Pundits' faces - democrat pundits who are usually sharp and ruthless - and they looked genuinely at a loss - confused and defensive - for a couple of days.

What McCain didn't count on is the relentless MSMedia efforts at "investigating" her (and their complete and utter lack of similar efforts on Obama's past associations).

That sunk her.

She represents what every successful Republican candidate should be: a real conservative.

Americans want that in their hearts.

Unfortunately, the republicans have played their hand for awhile. People hate Bush, no thanks to the media, hollywood and just about every other country in the world.

Even a dyed in the wool, star power conservative like Palin can't beat those odds.

Next time, boys. Next time.

I really do not think the GOP will win races if this reflects the mindset of the national party leaders. Are you serious that Palin represents what every successful Republican candidate should be? Do intelligence and interest in larger domestic and international matters count for nothing? Stop kidding yourself - she was not a real conservative. She was, at best, a religious ideologue who was more than willing to benefit from government largesse (bridges to nowhere, the road to the bridge to nowhere, redistribution of oil revenues). Once she passed the theological test all her faults would be covered by the GOP spin machine and right wing radio yakkers.

Honestly, aside from Palin's magnetic personality, she contributed nothing to the ticket. If the GOP aspires to put up empty suit candidates because they look good on TV and wear their ignorance like a badge of honor, they will spend quite a lot of time in the political wilderness -- especially in times when people live in fear of losing their jobs and their homes.

Not true. Read your history.

Correction, he did serve two terms so yes, he ran twice. I mistakenly took it to mean running for the nomination.

And John Edwards knew he could never win. If he didnt know it, everybody else did. As for the rest of them , history shows that the losers rarely get their second legs.

There are no Palin haters. Thats absurd. The Dems would love to have her win the nomination, believe me.

Unless she suddenly became a candidate to be a Rhodes Scholar or something , she will be as clueless then as she is now. She is not a dumb woman, but she sure is naive. If what is being said is even remotely true, then she has made enemies that will last longer than two years.

Sure, I'd think Obama would love to see her win the nomination in 2012.

Obama will be exausted mentally and phyiscally long before that. Palin will mature and be stronger than ever - I beief it will be important to have a female Pres...seeing that the blacks have now had their turn - maybe after 2016 the animal rights activists will have won total human rights for dogs - and a dog will be president - all the bitter unhappy feminsts form the 70s who are married to dogs will be thrilled. There will be tears of joy for all. :lol: