Native neolithic culture vs western culture

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Native people generally excreted away from their villages, far away from water and food sources and in an area that allowed for the rapid composting of human waste. In comparison (and generally speaking) The British crapped anywhere they felt like it, including close to their drinking water sources and amongst their crops, as well as only bathing once or twice a year. Yes. The Haudenosaunee were superior in hygiene at the time of contact and continued to be long after, until European sanitation laws made them start crapping close to their homes and drinking water. Today those laws are pretty much unchanged and our systems put much of our wastes into our food sources and into our drinking water. I though it does save us the cost of birth control and antibiotics medications since it never gets treated or filtered out of our drinking water.....

Er, doesn't this view ignore the point of settlement size? Having been to Tikal and Copan, I've seen first hand that those pre-Colombian cities had toilets smack in the middle of the urban area; the place was originally so large that going away from "their village" to do their business was impossible. Like most other inventions, sanitary systems were born out of necessity, and the Europeans weren't the only ones to invent it.

More sweeping statements from charter-rights sans any method to support such claims. Next-up: the native indians' conquest of space pre-Elizabeth I....

As mentioned...had the Roman found North America...

---------------------------------------------

Do you like your quasi-futuristic clothes Mr. Powers? I designed them myself.

---Dr Evil

More ignorant ostrich posturing by dogonporch without any refutations. Next up sing along with the dog..la la la la la la...I can't hear you....la la la la...

The Romans wiped themselves out through the same kinds of greed and power structures that are now decimating our civilization. And of course they couldn't tame the Celts whom the NA Indians have more in common with than the British ever did.

Of course you are a master of taking things out of context and then trying to make an argument over it. Read it again. Two different points were being made.

The celts became Roman.....ever heard of Gaul? Britain? Spain?

...Perhaps you are thinking of the Picts...

More ignorant ostrich posturing by dogonporch without any refutations. Next up sing along with the dog..la la la la la la...I can't hear you....la la la la...

The Romans wiped themselves out through the same kinds of greed and power structures that are now decimating our civilization. And of course they couldn't tame the Celts whom the NA Indians have more in common with than the British ever did.

Caesar took Gaul (the Celtic heartland) in a highly dramatic affair known as the Siege/Battle of Alesia. The same fate would have awaited the native indians of North America. The Picts were walled up into Scotland (see Hadrian's Wall). Rome never did get around to taking Ireland...knew it was there, though. Rome was not so much wiped out as faded away. Elements of the old Roman Empire still exist in our culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia

Native indians of North America are no comparrison at all. The Gauls/Celts at least had metal working...and the wheel...and farming...and engineering...and...etc.

------------------------------------------------

The die is cast (alea jacta est).

---Julius Caesar via Suetonius

The celts became Roman.....ever heard of Gaul? Britain? Spain?

...Perhaps you are thinking of the Picts...

Not all Celts became Roman. Even within what the Roamns called Briton, the Celtic culture thrived. Such was the tribe that Boudica belonged to. Wales and Cornwall as well as north of Hadrians wall and waht the Romans called Hibernia all retained Celtic culture. Galatia also retained its culture for many years after the decline of the Roman Empire.

Really - this is a pointless discussion.

You can't argue that native North Americans had better technology - it just isn't so. And arguing about the attendant social ills that the Europeans brought is fine, but those ills came from a technological society.

I am not arguing that the Native Americans were technologically advanced, at the time. However there is alot of evidence to show that they did have periods of great advancement, much as Europe, the mid-east and Asia had, and even Africa. I still maintain that it was all cyclical at different times in human history.

So an iron axe in the hand of a primative makes them less primative as compared to the guy with the stick? People assume that progress or time moving ahead is in a state of evolvement to a better world - I see the opposite taking place.

It's the year 722 AD in southern Britain. The guy across from you in the yearly battle has a stick. You have an old Roman gladis and a slightly damaged suit of Roman scale mail you found in some ruin. So do your friends. Who's gonna win?? Com'on Oleg...even you must have tried Sid Meier's Civilization. If not...go out and buy it...you're in for a treat.

------------------------------------------

There was a time when people didn't go out of their house on Tuesday night at eight o'clock because Milton Berle was on.

---Ed Mcmahon

It's the year 722 AD in southern Britain. The guy across from you in the yearly battle has a stick. You have an old Roman gladis and a slightly damaged suit of Roman scale mail you found in some ruin. So do your friends. Who's gonna win?? Com'on Oleg...even you must have tried Sid Meier's Civilization. If not...go out and buy it...you're in for a treat.

------------------------------------------

There was a time when people didn't go out of their house on Tuesday night at eight o'clock because Milton Berle was on.

---Ed Mcmahon

I see your chain mail and raise you by 2 Welsh longbowmen.