negative productivity growth under HARPER

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The energy and commodity boom, which has undermined productivity in resource industries by luring companies to exploit increasingly marginal deposits.

2. The negative impact of the high Canadian dollar (which tends to follow oil prices) on high-productivity manufacturing jobs.

3. The importance of low-productivity service sectors (such as retail and hospitality) in new job creation. These are the only sectors relatively immune from the negative effects of the high dollar.

reason # 1 and #2 are questionable to say the least...#3 has corrected itself.

Negative productivity gains is a serious problem. The Harper government needs too address the problem. It should not matter what party you support.

Why does everything in this country require government interference? I tired of this attitude what is the government going to do. All this centralized planning must be stopped.

Why does everything in this country require government interference? I tired of this attitude what is the government going to do. All this centralized planning must be stopped.

They can't help it that is the Liberal way of governing. Big government, government knows best, the nanny state syndrome.

EDIT0- It's going to be hard to get the people of this country to think for themselves and solve there own problems but slowly we may be able to reverse the tide.

Edited by Mr.Canada

They can't help it that is the Liberal way of governing. Big government, government knows best, the nanny state syndrome.

EDIT0- It's going to be hard to get the people of this country to think for themselves and solve there own problems but slowly we may be able to reverse the tide.

As long as Harper spends as much as he does on big government, it will be hard to see the changes.

You are saying that the average guy on the street can impact the value of the Canadian dollar, interest rates, high taxes etc. You can not be serious. The lack of productivity is clearly in the hands of government. Too stay productive as a country you have too do what you do best. Governments have a huge impact on that. It may very well have been the policies of the Harper government that caused the problem as the article suggests.

http://www.alternatives.ca/article4079.html

The Harper government has increased spending every year in power. I certainly hope you did not vote for him.

I don't think Harper is necessarily to blame for this since the crisis the US is facing is affecting us rather dramatically. I just wish Harper didn't blow must of our surplus on, in my opinion, poorly thought out tax breaks. Raising the minimum income tax bracket would be a tax break for everybody but it would especially help the poor, encouraging them to work, and reducing the burden of the social services we spend on them.

I don't think Harper is necessarily to blame for this since the crisis the US is facing is affecting us rather dramatically. I just wish Harper didn't blow must of our surplus on, in my opinion, poorly thought out tax breaks. Raising the minimum income tax bracket would be a tax break for everybody but it would especially help the poor, encouraging them to work, and reducing the burden of the social services we spend on them.

What goes on in the states has nothing too do with productivity in Canada.

So did martin and the liberals infact the liberals even raided the EI surpluses.

The Liberals concentrated on bringing in balanced budgets and to start paying off the debt. They were being a responsible government. You will see Harper run the debt back up blaming everybody else instead of making the tough choices the Liberals were willing too make.

They can't help it that is the Tory way of governing. Big government, government knows best, the daddy state syndrome.

The're all the same, even if they're from different planets.

Edited by eyeball

They can't help it that is the Tory way of governing. Big government, government knows best, the daddy state syndrome.

The're all the same, even if they're from different planets.

Its all relative. compared too who's government. There is little different between the size of A Liberal controlled government and a conservative controlled government. The only difference would be in priorities.

Negative productivity gains is a serious problem. The Harper government needs too address the problem. It should not matter what party you support.

More importantly, the weather is getting colder, and there seems to be less light every day. If this keeps up there'll be snow on the ground within weeks. What is Harper going to do about this!? Surely we need a plan!

You are saying that the average guy on the street can impact the value of the Canadian dollar, interest rates, high taxes etc. You can not be serious. The lack of productivity is clearly in the hands of government. suggests.

Preposterous, laughable, ludicrous sputter from someone who hasn't the first faint clue about what economics is or how economies work.

The Liberals concentrated on bringing in balanced budgets and to start paying off the debt. They were being a responsible government. You will see Harper run the debt back up blaming everybody else instead of making the tough choices the Liberals were willing too make.

What tough choices did the Liberals make?

As long as Harper spends as much as he does on big government, it will be hard to see the changes.

I want to see him spend less, much less.

Limit foreign aid, over 100 years of aid is long enough. It's obvious they cannot run their own countries and deserve to die off. If we are going to pay billions we should be running their country like in colonial times with the British Empire.

Limit social spending, these people need to find jobs, this isn't the USSR. Also all those special interest groups should have zero funding as that is not equality so we can cut all of that off.

Sell off most of the companies and services the Feds currently run. No more bureaucracy.

Immigrants should be paying their own way. If they cannot afford to pay their own living expenses they can stay in whatever third world hole they crawled out from.

Reinstate the death penalty - Murders and rapists don't deserve to breath our air, they're scum and no longer human.

Trash that Liberal flag and go back to the Red Ensign, Canadas true flag.

Basically I'd like to see Canada run the way it was in the 1920's and 30's. That is my dream.

That should save Billions of dollars. Not to mention we'd have some nice vacation spots as part of Canada.

As I said that would make for the best country on the planet but since it's not too realistic maybe we can just cut foreign aid and cut back some social spending to the tune of 2 Billion dollars. That should be enough.

I want to see him spend less, much less.

Limit foreign aid, over 100 years of aid is long enough. It's obvious they cannot run their own countries and deserve to die off. If we are going to pay billions we should be running their country like in colonial times with the British Empire.

What nation have we been giving aid to for 100 years?

Sell off most of the companies and services the Feds currently run. No more bureaucracy.

Most companies? Companies? Who do you have in miond?

Immigrants should be paying their own way. If they cannot afford to pay their own living expenses they can stay in whatever third world hole they crawled out from.

Every now and then, everyo0ne writes something really bone headed stupid. Today is your turn.

Trash that Liberal flag and go back to the Red Ensign, Canadas true flag.

That willl save BILLIONS!!!!!

Basically I'd like to see Canada run the way it was in the 1920's and 30's. That is my dream.

Benett Buggies for everyone!!!

That should save Billions of dollars. Not to mention we'd have some nice vacation spots as part of Canada.

As I said that would make for the best country on the planet but since it's not too realistic maybe we can just cut foreign aid and cut back some social spending to the tune of 2 Billion dollars. That should be enough.

I see you are hoping for a fringe party....very fringe.

Edited by M.Dancer

What nation have we been giving aid to for 100 years?

Most companies? Companies? Who do you have in miond?

Every now and then, everyo0ne writes something really bone headed stupid. Today is your turn.

That willl save BILLIONS!!!!!

Benett Buggies for everyone!!!

I see you are hoping for a fringe party....very fringe.

It was a joke.

I was playing with the left wingers who think that the conservatives actually want this. This is what they believe.

Tyvm for playing along M.Dancer.

Edited by Mr.Canada

It was a joke.

I was playing with the left wingers who think that the conservatives actually want this. This is what they believe.

Tyvm for playing along M.Dancer.

Could you waste bandwidth somewhere else then,

Tyvm in advance...