Harper reveals six-point economic plan

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...me=election2008

Fresh off his election victory, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced a six-point economic plan Wednesday that includes a first ministers conference and the reconvening of Parliament this fall.

Harper, speaking in Calgary, said the government will take "whatever appropriate steps are necessary" to ensure the stability of Canada's financial system.

The Tories now have a five point plan? It was panicking when the Liberals had one.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...me=election2008

The Tories now have a five point plan? It was panicking when the Liberals had one.

Would have been nice to hear of a Liberal plan, too bad Dion was too busy trying to explain a new Tax which he couldn't do in either language. Oh that and attack Harper which clearly worked great, keep up the good work!

Would have been nice to hear of a Liberal plan, too bad Dion was too busy trying to explain a new Tax which he couldn't do in either language. Oh that and attack Harper which clearly worked great, keep up the good work!

A little bit of a deflection. Do you deny that this economic plan doesn't mirror what the Liberals said they would do and Harper called panicking?

A little bit of a deflection. Do you deny that this economic plan doesn't mirror what the Liberals said they would do and Harper called panicking?

Hey, no one party has the monopoly on good ideas. Just because an idea is first brought up by a Liberal should it be excluded. We all want what is best for our country no matter of political stripe, I'm sure we can all agree. Everything cannot be partisan or nothing at all would get done which serves no one.

Hey, no one party has the monopoly on good ideas. Just because an idea is first brought up by a Liberal should it be excluded. We all want what is best for our country no matter of political stripe, I'm sure we can all agree. Everything cannot be partisan or nothing at all would get done which serves no one.

However, Harper said this type of plan was panicking when he first heard it.

However, Harper said this type of plan was panicking when he first heard it.

What was he to say in an election? That he thought it was a great idea? If that was suggested then his handlers should be fired. It's just the game of politics as far as I can see. Absorb, deflect, repackage and voila a solution has been found.

Seriously, what was the Liberal plan?

Very similar to Harper's 5 point plan now.

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays_paper/s....html?id=857888

The Liberal leader unveiled a five-part "action plan" as part of the French-language leaders' debate on Wednesday night. Within a month of taking office, Mr. Dion said he would consult with economists, convene a first ministers' meeting and have bureaucrats prepare updates on the Canadian economy.

In addition, the plan calls for meetings with the heads of the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC), the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and other financial agencies to evaluate Canada's regulatory framework. "I think a lot of the key planks of the proposal would fall into the symbolic camp," said Douglas Porter, deputy chief economist with BMO Nesbitt Burns. "It certainly couldn't hurt, but I don't think it is going to turn the tide that is coming our way from the U. S. economy."

So, is Harper panicking now that he also wants a First Minister's meeting on the issue?

What was he to say in an election? That he thought it was a great idea? If that was suggested then his handlers should be fired. It's just the game of politics as far as I can see. Absorb, deflect, repackage and voila a solution has been found.

So, it is fair game to say that Harper is panicking if he follows the Dion plan.

So, it is fair game to say that Harper is panicking if he follows the Dion plan.

I'm sure the Liberals would say so but they probably won't as they are licking their wounds right now and fighting over leadership at present. That leaves people here to do the honors.

As long as Dion is leader I think they they have lost a lot of credibility.

Edited by Mr.Canada

I don't think thats what the Prime Minister meant. I think he said that Dion was panicking because he seemed to be changing his strategy mid campaign.

I don't think thats what the Prime Minister meant. I think he said that Dion was panicking because he seemed to be changing his strategy mid campaign.

It seems pretty clear he meant the five point plan for a quickly developing situation was panicking.

I'm sure the Liberals would say so but they probably won't as they are licking their wounds right now and fighting over leadership at present. That leaves people here to do the honors.

The Liberals haven't said a thing. Looks like others are asking why the Tory plan is not panicking.

As long as Dion is leader I think they they have lost a lot of credibility.

And as soon as they begin a leadership race expect Harper to call an election.

The Liberals haven't said a thing. Looks like others are asking why the Tory plan is not panicking.

The Gov. General wouldn't allow him to dissolve the current gov't so soon after this one for no reason.

No chance. The CPC cannot risk doing that as they are already to blame for this one that just past. Mr. Harper will have to force one of his opponents into it if he feels he needs one, he cannot call it himself.

Plus if he did do that he would look like more of a bully and he has enough problems with image already.

Even though Chretien did it but I'm sure that was fine :)

It seems pretty clear he meant the five point plan for a quickly developing situation was panicking.

At the beginning of the English debate, I'm sure he said something about Dion panicking and making up a plan. I guess when he panicked, the plan he made up must have been a good one.

The Gov. General wouldn't allow him to dissolve the current gov't so soon after this one for no reason.

Six months to go another election is not unheard of in a minority.

No chance. The CPC cannot risk doing that as they are already to blame for this one that just past. Mr. Harper will have to force one of his opponents into it if he feels he needs one, he cannot call it himself.

Plus if he did do that he would look like more of a bully and he has enough problems with image already.

Even though Chretien did it but I'm sure that was fine :)

I'm sure he won't mind the bullying title. It works. Tom Flanagan tonight on the CBC says to expect more of the attack ads against the Liberals.

At the beginning of the English debate, I'm sure he said something about Dion panicking and making up a plan. I guess when he panicked, the plan he made up must have been a good one.

It is pretty clear Harper meant the five point plan.

It is pretty clear Harper meant the five point plan.

Absolutely not. He clearly meant Dion changing plans mid election was the panic. He also dismissed the five point plan as being a plan, specifically because all it had in it were the things the Conservative were already doing anyway, and things you do anyway when you form a government.

Absolutely not. He clearly meant Dion changing plans mid election was the panic. He also dismissed the five point plan as being a plan, specifically because all it had in it were the things the Conservative were already doing anyway, and things you do anyway when you form a government.

The fact the market crisis happened mid-election meant everyone had to change tact including the Harper. They were not already doing what Dion said.

Liberal plan:

(this must be read in cheesy Dion accent and sound nervous)

Point 1 of de Liberal Economic plan; run around panicking

Point 2: check that you have everyone else panicking and they are running around chaotically too

Point 3: Quick go run and hide somewhere until it blows over

Point 4: If it does not blow over quickly send out a press relese it was all Stephan Hrper's fault

Point 5: Resign and let someone else deal with dis crap, I'm just a University Professor why am I putting myself through this??

Edited by TCCK

well that should be today. any election would be way to soon for Canadians. Though if the report this morning that a deficit of billions is on its way, Harper might be screwed either way