Could it be true?

betsy

If I provided you with examples, you would no doubt claim that this is not evidence of social conservatism. But here are some examples:

As leader of the Opposition, Harper voted against Bill C-250, the legislation which made it a hate crime to promote or advocate the killing of homosexuals. Harper has no problem with hate crime legislation per se. For example, he favours hate crime legislation when the criterion is religion, race or ethnicity. But he opposes it when the criterion is sexual orientation. C-250 passed anyway because a majority of MPs, including some in Harper's own party, voted for C-250.

Harper opposes abortion, embryonic stem cell research and same sex marriage. Although he claims that he won't introduce legislation to overturn these, his positions are nonetheless those of a social conservative.

When Harper campaigned in the 2006 election, he promised not to reintroduce the marijuana decriminalization legislation introduced by the Liberals before they were voted out of office. The NDP and BQ also support decriminalization of possession of tiny quantities of marijuana. The Greens support outright legalization. A majority of Canadians favour decriminalization. Harper favours criminal sentences for teenagers in possession of even a few grams of marijuana. Harper's position is anti-libertarian and socially conservative. Government intrusion for possession of a few grams of marijuana is evidence of social conservatism.

Harper's omnibus crime bill has a mandatory six month jail sentence for one marijuana plant, i.e., judges will not have discretion in sentences in such cases.

How about Bill C-10 where Harper's government decided not to fund art that they considered "offensive"? Sure, they withdrew C-10 a few days ago but only because Harper was desperate to portray himself as not being a social conservative.

Of course those Canadians who are even more socially conservative than Harper would not view him as a social conservative. I'm sure there are dozens of rural rednecks, prairie Neanderthals, mouthbreeders and even a handful of people who can spell who don't view Harper as a social conservative.

I see so anyone who agrees with any of these things is a social con and uneducated and live in rural areas?

I wonder what makes city living folks to think they can dictate to the rest of us. Are they more Canadian then we are? More educated?

Ah I got it...more entitled to their entitlements, right? Or perhaps they are allowed to sell non existent advertising to friends then lie under oath about it?

Also for the record, it's mouthBREATHER not breeder whatever that may be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the CPC and BQ seats will pretty much stay as they are but the NDP will gain and the Liberals will lose. Dion will step down and Rae will win the next Leadership race. Harper will also not run again after this and a new star will have to rise for the CPC or Rae will be the next PM.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Rae is an elite. He's extremely politically saavy. He can win a federal election - Harper can not and is a lousy leader. It's been known for a long time.

One more thing....

Thank God Rae isn't leading the Liberals right now. If he was, it would be a toss-up between the two parties right now.

Rae wouldn't be going on about carbon taxes and garbage like that. He would be smashing harper and have his own economic agenda similar to Harpers and be playing on the Obama card. He'd be pandering to Quebec and be grass roots winning votes.

Trust me, Rae is a threat, I've said it before, he is *extremely* politically saavy.

Don't believe me?

Take a look at this 2 min video where some far left wacko tries to corner Bob Rae into submission. You watch and tell me that he's no Conservative. I just *really* hope they get him on board for the good of the Conservatives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIgGoW3aOw

Why would you say that for?

When the Liberals start their famous in-fighting, they wont be in a good position to run for election.

Besides, if Dion loses...there will be no next time for him. It's back to the Liberal Leadership race. Bob Rae and Ignatieff have been having a trial run campaigning...of course helping out Dion as a team. So they say.

If I provided you with examples, you would no doubt claim that this is not evidence of social conservatism. But here are some examples:

As leader of the Opposition, Harper voted against Bill C-250, the legislation which made it a hate crime to promote or advocate the killing of homosexuals. Harper has no problem with hate crime legislation per se. For example, he favours hate crime legislation when the criterion is religion, race or ethnicity. But he opposes it when the criterion is sexual orientation. C-250 passed anyway because a majority of MPs, including some in Harper's own party, voted for C-250.

Harper opposes abortion, embryonic stem cell research and same sex marriage. Although he claims that he won't introduce legislation to overturn these, his positions are nonetheless those of a social conservative.

When Harper campaigned in the 2006 election, he promised not to reintroduce the marijuana decriminalization legislation introduced by the Liberals before they were voted out of office. The NDP and BQ also support decriminalization of possession of tiny quantities of marijuana. The Greens support outright legalization. A majority of Canadians favour decriminalization. Harper favours criminal sentences for teenagers in possession of even a few grams of marijuana. Harper's position is anti-libertarian and socially conservative. Government intrusion for possession of a few grams of marijuana is evidence of social conservatism.

Harper's omnibus crime bill has a mandatory six month jail sentence for one marijuana plant, i.e., judges will not have discretion in sentences in such cases.

How about Bill C-10 where Harper's government decided not to fund art that they considered "offensive"? Sure, they withdrew C-10 a few days ago but only because Harper was desperate to portray himself as not being a social conservative.

Of course those Canadians who are even more socially conservative than Harper would not view him as a social conservative. I'm sure there are dozens of rural rednecks, prairie Neanderthals, mouthbreeders and even a handful of people who can spell who don't view Harper as a social conservative.

As for that tinfoil hat post, give it a rest. If Harper invoked anything that you are fearing, that spells the end of the CPC. Harper threw the evangelical wing of his party under the bus with the free SSM vote. Harper wants to govern in a democracy and that means caving on certain things, "social conservatism" being one.

As for refering to people who live in the prairies as rednecks and neanderthals, it's that exact attitude as why left wing parties will never get elected out here and why the Liberal party will never ever get a majority government again with a united Conservative party. We might drive around with gunracks in our trucks, but we aren't stupid, it's a shame the Liberals will never realize their gaffe.

Besides, if Dion loses...there will be no next time for him. It's back to the Liberal Leadership race. Bob Rae and Ignatieff have been having a trial run campaigning...of course helping out Dion as a team. So they say.

For sure.

Ignatieff is loved by immigrants. Rae is now shunned by the Sikh's for the comments he made.

Hopefully.. maybe.. Rae will lose to Ignatieff and Rae will have had enough and he can come to CPC and take over Harper. I am hard core extreme right wing and I feel the CPC need to win at 'all costs'. I believe Bob Rae can acheive this.

In the right wing circle, there are exploitionists and protectionists. I am a protectionist and believe in the Canadian way of life and high wages, big homes, and best quality heathcare for Canadians; never, ever to be diluted by immigrants and people that we do not need here who don't like us very much.

For sure.

Ignatieff is loved by immigrants. Rae is now shunned by the Sikh's for the comments he made.

Hopefully.. maybe.. Rae will lose to Ignatieff and Rae will have had enough and he can come to CPC and take over Harper. I am hard core extreme right wing and I feel the CPC need to win at 'all costs'. I believe Bob Rae can acheive this.

In the right wing circle, there are exploitionists and protectionists. I am a protectionist and believe in the Canadian way of life and high wages, big homes, and best quality heathcare for Canadians; never, ever to be diluted by immigrants and people that we do not need here who don't like us very much.

That is not right wing, that is xenophobic. No wonder they call the right scary...

I see so anyone who agrees with any of these things is a social con?

Are you saying that having socially conservative views does not make you a social conservative? :lol:

Which example that I listed is not consistent with social conservatism? Wanting to give criminal records to teenagers for simple possession of a gram of marijuana? Voting against making it a hate crime to advocate the killing of homosexuals?

Would Harper have to become an ayatollah-like Muslim fundamentalist to fit your definition of social conservative?

How about Sarah Palin who shares Harper's values? Is she a social conservative?

Face it. Harper is a social conservative who will never win a majority. Most Canadians, especially Quebecois, have no use for social conservatives. Harper governs because four parties split the nonconservative vote. In a two way race, social conservative Harper would be toast.

Harper won't win a seat in Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver in part because he's a social conservative. Mulroney was able to win in those cities because he was a social moderate.

Too bad for CPC that Harper supporters can't see that Harper is a social conservative.

Harper's omnibus crime legislation, currently stalled in the Justice Committee, imposes mandatory six month sentences for selling one marijuana plant. True or false?

Reinstated death penalty, criminalizing abortion, making homosexuality illegal, making Christianity the official religion of Canada True or false?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the funniest post yet on MLW.

What's also comical is that tonight Mike Duffy mistakenly introduced Bob Rae as the Conservative MP from Toronto Centre. Bob Rae responded: "Well I'm not a Conservative yet Mike".

Maybe you're right about Rae's next move after all.

:lol: :lol:

Just now,Duceppe is having a rally and his voice sounds desperate. He repeatedly urges Quebecers to go out and vote, that they should stop a Harper majority. Then he adds, "despite all appearances, the reality is Harper is close to getting a majority."

Is this just simply a ploy to make sure that Quebecers do go out to vote....or...could it be true?

Just a ploy to mobilize his supporters as he has been preaching that he is the only vote that can stop Harper

He is reinforcing that scaremongering tactic and using it to motivate his vote by piling on the majority fear

All seperatists are a waste of space and should not be allowed to represent Canadians in the comons

Only in canada eh - pity!!!

Just a ploy to mobilize his supporters as he has been preaching that he is the only vote that can stop Harper

He is reinforcing that scaremongering tactic and using it to motivate his vote by piling on the majority fear

All seperatists are a waste of space and should not be allowed to represent Canadians in the comons

Only in canada eh - pity!!!

Yep, that's what politics is nowadays. Just talk about the other guy and as least about myself as possible, ignoring the real issues.

The politicians look at us the great unwashed and as idiots. You all realize this right?

Harper's omnibus crime legislation, currently stalled in the Justice Committee, imposes mandatory six month sentences for selling one marijuana plant. True or false?

True, even though it's not social conservative, it's just tough on crime. All parties in some way or another are tough on crime, Layton even suggests harsh sentances for handgun crimes, oh the horror!!!

Yep, that's what politics is nowadays. Just talk about the other guy and as least about myself as possible, ignoring the real issues.

The politicians look at us the great unwashed and as idiots. You all realize this right?

Yes...a herd of socio-demographics cattle to be corralled into various pens with carrots on a stick or a cattle prod depending on our wants, needs and percentage chance of responding to each stimuli

What...me a pessimist <_<

Why worry about the Liberals they will find a leader from within the party if need be. Harper called the election on his own terms alienated Quebec making it very difficult for him too win a majority. The very survival of the Liberal party after the successful character assassination ads was in question. The Liberals were still reeling from the Ad-scam. There green shift policy was still being worked on. There is no way they were going to force an election. If Dion come back and survives he could very well be applauded by the Liberals. With Harper setting the timing of the election he had everything on his side. If he does not win a majority it is he that has failed. It is a sad state of affairs if the conservatives have to look outside their own party for a leader. These are people you are asking voters to vote for. Let the Liberals worry about the Liberals you have enough problems of your own.

That is not right wing, that is xenophobic. No wonder they call the right scary...

That's not true.

Certain right wingers believe in cheaper labor for the rich. That means that even if Canadians are willing to work, if the business owner can hire overseas for cheaper, then they should be allowed to do so.

I'm not that type of conservative. I'm a Lou Dobbs, Pat Buchanan type of conservative who is a nationalist and believes in closing borders, and sticking up for Canadians.

Allowing 300,000 people (who do not consider themselves Canadian) to wander out of our airport and use our hospitals out our expense while contributing NOTHING to Canada is not sticking up for Canadians. It does nothing but ensure Liberals more seats in our corrupt political system.

Face it. Harper is a social conservative who will never win a majority.

Bingo.

He's a social conservative because he has to be though.

This is Canada we live in.

I wonder what kind of support he would have received if he announced he was closing immigration and abolishing the 1,000,000 on our waiting list.

Who knows?

What we do know are those immigrant riding vote NDP/Liberal anyhow (proven 100%) so he really had nothing to lose.

What's also comical is that tonight Mike Duffy mistakenly introduced Bob Rae as the Conservative MP from Toronto Centre. Bob Rae responded: "Well I'm not a Conservative yet Mike".

Maybe you're right about Rae's next move after all.

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See I told you!

Mike Duffy knows a lot of 'behind the scenes' things which are just gossip so it's not news worthy to report on but he knows what's going on.

The CPC needs Rae badly and Rae already knows it. Before the Liberal leadership race it was widely known that Harper didn't want to face Rae.

You'll see the Liberals start to shun Rae because of this. This is all in the worked.

I would never count on NDP joining the Liberals unless the name of the LIberals becomes NDP and Jack is in power.

Trust me, it's another minority and the house is going to get frustrated and anxious. This will be a very entertaining next 2 years. Watch and see.

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See I told you!

Mike Duffy knows a lot of 'behind the scenes' things which are just gossip so it's not news worthy to report on but he knows what's going on.

The CPC needs Rae badly and Rae already knows it. Before the Liberal leadership race it was widely known that Harper didn't want to face Rae.

You'll see the Liberals start to shun Rae because of this. This is all in the worked.

I would never count on NDP joining the Liberals unless the name of the LIberals becomes NDP and Jack is in power.

Trust me, it's another minority and the house is going to get frustrated and anxious. This will be a very entertaining next 2 years. Watch and see.

Bob Rae in the CPC

This is funny and could be the greatest kept secret in politics in our lifetime

Errr...maybe not

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See I told you!

Toaster comment of the year. See lefties, I don't play favorites.

Even if something that proposterous did happen, the western wing of the CPC would form another party. Bob Rae and any form of an economy do not mix.

I don't really believe the polls for this election have been accurate. Many NDP and Greens & Bloc supporters will switch their votes to Liberal tomorrow to block a possible Con majority, and even a Con minority.

You also must factor in the regional distribution of the votes.

I really don't know what to expect tomorrow, other than that the Cons will likely win.

Toaster comment of the year. See lefties, I don't play favorites.

Even if something that proposterous did happen, the western wing of the CPC would form another party. Bob Rae and any form of an economy do not mix.

Just watching a psychic òn CBC read tarot cards on the election

She sees a majority this or next election, but within a year, and a spiritual and compassionate government will be elected that will improve Canadas reputation in the world - but no mention of Bob Rae moving to the CPC

Hmmm....she had me up til then