Should there be a new laws

jay22

• 2 weeks later...
Should there be new rules in terms of getting a canadian citizenship.

Yes.

1. The ability to read and write English to an Eighth grade level

2. NO criminal record

3. Having something we need, job skills etc.

4. The willingness to shed all traditional dress and customs except in the privacy of your own home or holidays or family functions. All religious dress banned in public so as to not make the Canadian people uncomfortable.

5. The willingness to assimilate in Canadian society so as not to make uncomfortable the Canadian people already here.

- $10,000 Cdn dollars so you are not a strain on the Canadian system and/or the Canadian people.

- Three infractions and you are removed from Canada to never be allowed to return and your passport stamped undesirable for Canada. Straight to airport, no judge, jury or appeal. Just straight to airport holding area.

That would be a great start.

Edited by Mr.Canada

If this is to be a part of it, then it must be OR French.

"2. NO criminal record"

What if the crime is not a crime in Canada, what if it is a minor offence that occured long ago. People should not have to pay their entire lives for some lesser offences, like cannabis possession when they were a teenager. So there should be some flexibility. What if a brilliant researcher in oncology had a record for something minor they did many years ago. Our society would still benefit tremendously by having them work here. By your strict reckoning they couldn't.

"4. The willingness to shed all traditional dress and customs except in the privacy of your own home or holidays or family functions. All religious dress banned in public so as to not make the Canadian people uncomfortable."

By the same logic, catholic priests can no longer wear their white collars? A citizen cannot wear a necklace with a cross pendant in public? Pshaaw

"5. The willingness to assimilate in Canadian society so as not to make uncomfortable the Canadian people already here."

Which Canadian society, the Canadian hindus, the Chinese, little Italy? Pshaaw

" $10,000 Cdn dollars so you are not a strain on the Canadian system and/or the Canadian people."

Sounds like some kind of payola. How about if they grease the immigration officers palm too, drop me 5000 and your in.

"Three infractions and you are removed from Canada to never be allowed to return and your passport stamped undesirable for Canada. Straight to airport, no judge, jury or appeal. Just straight to airport holding area."

Removed to where... who will take them, who would be forced to take them, under a Canadian law?

Again, Pshaww.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

4. The willingness to shed all traditional dress and customs except in the privacy of your own home or holidays or family functions. All religious dress banned in public so as to not make the Canadian people uncomfortable.

You want to tell people how they can and can't dress? Talk about authoritarian government...

Should there be new rules in terms of getting a canadian citizenship.

Economic refugees should be twarted. When I hear a young Asian state in a telivised interview that he wants to be a doctor because " the money is real good" - I personally don't want him. I could have sworn that the original person in this nation that entered the medical field wanted to help humanity - no wonder our public medical bill is so damned high..doctors are not supposed to be bankers.

Yes.

2. NO criminal record

3. Having something we need, job skills etc.

5. The willingness to assimilate in Canadian society so as not to make uncomfortable the Canadian people already here.

- $10,000 Cdn dollars so you are not a strain on the Canadian system and/or the Canadian people.

- Three infractions and you are removed from Canada to never be allowed to return and your passport stamped undesirable for Canada. Straight to airport, no judge, jury or appeal. Just straight to airport holding area.

That would be a great start.

If this is to be a part of it, then it must be OR French.

"2. NO criminal record"

What if the crime is not a crime in Canada, what if it is a minor offence that occured long ago. People should not have to pay their entire lives for some lesser offences, like cannabis possession when they were a teenager. So there should be some flexibility. What if a brilliant researcher in oncology had a record for something minor they did many years ago. Our society would still benefit tremendously by having them work here. By your strict reckoning they couldn't.

"4. The willingness to shed all traditional dress and customs except in the privacy of your own home or holidays or family functions. All religious dress banned in public so as to not make the Canadian people uncomfortable."

By the same logic, catholic priests can no longer wear their white collars? A citizen cannot wear a necklace with a cross pendant in public? Pshaaw

"5. The willingness to assimilate in Canadian society so as not to make uncomfortable the Canadian people already here."

" $10,000 Cdn dollars so you are not a strain on the Canadian system and/or the Canadian people."

Sounds like some kind of payola. How about if they grease the immigration officers palm too, drop me 5000 and your in.

"Three infractions and you are removed from Canada to never be allowed to return and your passport stamped undesirable for Canada. Straight to airport, no judge, jury or appeal. Just straight to airport holding area."

Removed to where... who will take them, who would be forced to take them, under a Canadian law?

Again, Pshaww.

I would strongly support new immigration laws.. However, while I agree with some of these points, I strongly disagree with the others.

- Or French

- This is unconstitutional. If you don't want to see people wearing traditional or religious clothing, then don't look that way. This would be an outrage, a serious infringement upon individual liberties.

- I agree with this, but not in the sense that Sir Bandelot took it in. An immigrant must assimilate into Canadian fundamentals and values: the constitutional acts, individual liberties, rights and freedoms, the integration of visible minorities, democracy..etc. We don't have an official religion, so I don't care if you are christian, hindu or whatever.. Just love our country!

$10,000 Cdn dollars so you are not a strain on the Canadian system and/or the Canadian people.

- No, I don't think that is necessary at all.. Doesn't mean you love the country if you have money.

- After a Canadian Citizen is a citizen, he shall and should never be stripped from that citizenship unless under dire circumstances. Besides, if we were to enforce this rule upon the current responsibilities of a citizen, a very large number of people would be deported..

• 2 weeks later...

We could really use that eighth grade level English or French immigration law right now.. I was just with my mom (who emigrated from somewhere in China), with her buying groceries... and jeez, nobody speaks English in these areas at all (GTA area)! Even funnier, there are t.v. reporting channels who operate here in Canada, and they broadcast fully in Cantonese!