A parable

DrGreenthumb

There is a historical figure that I highly respect who when asked to explain something to people who seemed unable to grasp the fundamental truth of what he was saying, would tell a story that seemed unrelated on the surface, but got the people to question their ideas about the topic that this wise man wanted them to consider.

This method of shedding light on a fundamental truth by telling a seemingly unrelated story worked very well for Him so I thought I might try and employ the same method to enlighten a few conservatives around here.

A man had two cats, and inside cat and an outside cat.

From the time he got these kittens he always loved the orange one more than the grey one, and was afraid to let the orange one go outside lest something happen to him. He was very careful to prohibit the orange cat from eating anything that might cause him upset stomach and tightly controlled everything the orange cat ate. He gave his orange cat the same kind of kibble every day at exactly the same time to ensure that his precious little kitty would not get indigestion.

The man also cared for his grey cat but it had been given to him by a friend after he already had his orange cat and he couldn't help always thinking of the grey cat as "someone else's cat", and not his own that he had chosen to have like the orange cat. The grey cat was put outside a lot so that it did not bother his orange cat. The orange cat therefore was free to roam around the yard, hunting birds, mice, and anything else he decided to chase. He ate what he wanted, and even fathered a few litters of his own with the female cat down the street.

He often stayed up late with his friends meowling at the stars, turning over garbage cans, and even tried some catnip his buddy across the street brought over.

One night when he was 8 years old the grey cat the grey cat was on his way home from a long night of hunting and hanging out with his friends when a stray pit bull came from between two houses, took the grey cat by surprise and killed him. The orange cat lived till he was 12 years old then after fighting cancer, and diabetes for 2 years, died of kidney and liver failure from the high doses of veterinary products he was being given to fight off the disease. He never tried catnip. He never hunted birds in the old oak tree in the front yard. He never fathered a litter of kittens. He never had any friends, except of course the grey cat, who he envied immensely, whose stories he would listen to whenever the grey cat wanted to tell them.

Both cats lived very different lives and the grey one lived almost 4 years shorter than the orange one. Which one lived MORE than the other? Which cat would you rather be? Should the grey cat also have been forced to live inside so that he may have lived as long as the orange cat? Which cat do you think lived a happier, fuller life? How can we relate this story to human life?

This really is the weakest attempt at parable ever. Greenthumb you continue to amaze me by how empty-headed some of your posts really are.

Analogy and parable are by far and away the weakest form of argument there is. The argument is made on the most simplistic of terms. Logical methodology is completely thrown out the door and the 'cause and effect' part of the argument is completely abandoned.

Parable and analogy is nothing more than saying, "This is exactly like ____!!" It ignores the glaring inconsistancies and flaws in the comparison being made and concludes that because the two things being compared were demonstrated to somehow be somewhat similar in ONE WAY, they should be considered exactly the same. When parable is successful, it touches people on a personal or moral level in some sort of relevant way and may help people look at something in a different view. When held up to scrutiny, however, the parable usually starts looking pretty leaky and at best will only serve to provoke some brief thought.

Greenthumb, it may be that kindergarten parable/analogies are YOUR best best attempt at rational thought, but the rest of the community is either laughing at you right now or preparing new "don't do drugs" speeches for their kids, because you've just given them a new reason to worry.

There is a historical figure that I highly respect who when asked to explain something to people who seemed unable to grasp the fundamental truth of what he was saying, would tell a story that seemed unrelated on the surface, but got the people to question their ideas about the topic that this wise man wanted them to consider.

This method of shedding light on a fundamental truth by telling a seemingly unrelated story worked very well for Him so I thought I might try and employ the same method to enlighten a few conservatives around here.

A man had two cats, and inside cat and an outside cat.

From the time he got these kittens he always loved the orange one more than the grey one, and was afraid to let the orange one go outside lest something happen to him. He was very careful to prohibit the orange cat from eating anything that might cause him upset stomach and tightly controlled everything the orange cat ate. He gave his orange cat the same kind of kibble every day at exactly the same time to ensure that his precious little kitty would not get indigestion.

The man also cared for his grey cat but it had been given to him by a friend after he already had his orange cat and he couldn't help always thinking of the grey cat as "someone else's cat", and not his own that he had chosen to have like the orange cat. The grey cat was put outside a lot so that it did not bother his orange cat. The orange cat therefore was free to roam around the yard, hunting birds, mice, and anything else he decided to chase. He ate what he wanted, and even fathered a few litters of his own with the female cat down the street.

He often stayed up late with his friends meowling at the stars, turning over garbage cans, and even tried some catnip his buddy across the street brought over.

One night when he was 8 years old the grey cat the grey cat was on his way home from a long night of hunting and hanging out with his friends when a stray pit bull came from between two houses, took the grey cat by surprise and killed him. The orange cat lived till he was 12 years old then after fighting cancer, and diabetes for 2 years, died of kidney and liver failure from the high doses of veterinary products he was being given to fight off the disease. He never tried catnip. He never hunted birds in the old oak tree in the front yard. He never fathered a litter of kittens. He never had any friends, except of course the grey cat, who he envied immensely, whose stories he would listen to whenever the grey cat wanted to tell them.

Both cats lived very different lives and the grey one lived almost 4 years shorter than the orange one. Which one lived MORE than the other? Which cat would you rather be? Should the grey cat also have been forced to live inside so that he may have lived as long as the orange cat? Which cat do you think lived a happier, fuller life? How can we relate this story to human life?

That historic figure did a better job at parables.

Praise Jesus!!!

That historic figure did a better job at parables.

Praise Jesus!!!

I wanted to make it simple enough for the conservatives to understand. I didn't want them to have to spend a couple of thousand years trying to interpret it. I'll grab another pepesi and then try to dumb it down a bit for you.

I would never presume to be as good a parabe teller than the master. That'd be like comparing my guitar skills to hendrix or Satch.

I wanted to make it simple enough for the conservatives to understand. I didn't want them to have to spend a couple of thousand years trying to interpret it. I'll grab another pepesi and then try to dumb it down a bit for you.

Oh Boy! Can't wait! Was the guy in the house the Pope and was the grey cat jewish?

I would never presume to be as good a parabe teller than the master. That'd be like comparing my guitar skills to hendrix or Satch.

Greenthumb you spent probably 45 minutes typing up a childish parable every poster on this board bar none is laughing at you for.

You can go ahead and make stupid claims about who you think holds the intellectual high ground but your posts almost without exception have been completely devoid of anything even RESEMBLING critical thought.

We'll let the rest of the forum decide who needs things 'dumbed down' for him to understand.

Greenthumb you spent probably 45 minutes typing up a childish parable every poster on this board bar none is laughing at you for.

You can go ahead and make stupid claims about who you think holds the intellectual high ground but your posts almost without exception have been completely devoid of anything even RESEMBLING critical thought.

We'll let the rest of the forum decide who needs things 'dumbed down' for him to understand.

actually it took me less time to write that than to finish my cup of coffee, was going for sarcastic more than wisdom, lol funny none of you conservatives could get the point of such a simple post. 45 minutes? try 5