CBC's Heather Mallick on Palin

capricorn

I'm not actually aware of the "Canada Votes" program. CBC has a "Canada Votes" section on their website, which seems to have a wide variety of news and resources available.

Is this a TV program you're referring to? Is it a series or a one-off? Is the whole series western-focused, or just an episode that you saw?

I kind of wish I'd seen that, because I've never actually heard of anybody accusing CBC of doing anything that was too western-focused (other than "The Beachcombers" and "Little Mosque...") CBC western-centric news programming? Neat! I'd like to see it just for the novelty value.

I must have been drunk when I posted that ( I wasn't, but I need an excuse). It was supposed to say from the left. It is an election long program at 8 eastern on Newsworld. People phone in and give their opinions and they also have special guests that give opinions. Some of the special guests were....interesting...and decidedly anti conservative. Again, I'm not saying its wrong, I'm just saying that it is on some programs. I'm glad though, that their news programing continues to be unbiased and fact providing.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have been drunk when I posted that ( I wasn't, but I need an excuse). It was supposed to say from the left.

:) That makes more sense.

It is an election long program at 8 eastern on Newsworld. People phone in and give their opinions and they also have special guests that give opinions. Some of the special guests were....interesting...and decidedly anti conservative. Again, I'm not saying its wrong, I'm just saying that it is on some programs. I'm glad though, that their news programing continues to be unbiased and fact providing.

CBC probably has a more left-leaning audience than the country as a whole, which would be reflected in the viewer calls and emails. Does the CBC tend to have more left leaning hosts because they have left leaning viewers? Or do they have more left-leaning viewers because they have left leaning hosts? It's a chicken or egg question.

As I've moved from Edmonton to a much smaller community, my choice of media is a lot more limited and I find myself listening to CBC Radio 1 a lot. Last week I found myself listening to Anna Maria Tremonti's show as she breathlessly explored the possibility that a new Youtube video might sink the Conservatives' chances in Quebec. It reminded me of August's long-ago comment that the CBC fails not because they put someone like Anna Maria Tremonti on the air, but because they provide no countering voice.

If one looked for small-c conservatives on the CBC's roster of opinionists, who is there? Rex Murphy, perhaps? Rex shows up every once in a while with some uproarious anecdotes about the time his Studebaker broke down while trying to get to the Diefenbaker speech; I suppose he might be considered a small-c conservative voice. I dunno.

-k

CBC news publisher John Cruikshank, has responded to the Ombudsman's report. "We erred in our judgment."

On the whole, the CBC News policy handbook takes a very anxious view of any mixing of opinion in with the news business. It sees the two as nitro and glycerin, innocuous on their own but explosive together. This is a very healthy restraint for a public broadcaster.

But every news organization needs to have an opinion dimension. Access to different viewpoints helps readers, listeners and viewers make reasoned choices, especially during an election campaign.

As a public broadcaster we have an added responsibility to provide an array of opinions and voices to complement our journalism. But we must do so carefully. And you should be able to trust us to provide you with work that's based on solid reporting and free from the passionate excesses of partisanship.

We failed you in this case. And as a result we have put new editing procedures in place to insure that in the future, work that is not appropriate for our platforms, will not appear. We are open to contentious reasoned argument but not to partisan attack. It's a fine line.

Ombudsman Carlin makes another significant observation in his response to complainants: when it does choose to print opinion, CBCNews.ca displays a very narrow range on its pages.

In this, Carlin is also correct.

This, too, is being immediately addressed. CBCNews.ca will soon expand the diversity of voices and opinions and be home to a diverse group of writers with many perspectives. In this, we will better reflect the depth and texture of this country.

We erred in our editorial judgment. You told us in no uncertain terms. And we have learned from it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_cruick...k/20080928.html

Indirectly, the publicity surrounding the Mallick episode may bring new readers to the CBC. Yet, a boost in higher ratings will also bring an increase in critics. A good thing since the CBC will have to continue learning and adapting.

Indirectly, the publicity surrounding the Mallick episode may bring new readers to the CBC. Yet, a boost in higher ratings will also bring an increase in critics. A good thing since the CBC will have to continue learning and adapting.

Criticism is never a bad thing as long as its reasonable. this may improve the CBC in the long run.

CBC news publisher John Cruikshank, has responded to the Ombudsman's report. "We erred in our judgment."

Nice find. I guess somebody at the network read Mr Carlin's report after all. I am amused to note that the infamous piece has finally been removed from CBC.ca... do you think Heather Mallick still feels as smug and clever about her little column as she did a couple of weeks ago?

Cruikshank:

"We failed you in this case. And as a result we have put new editing procedures in place to insure that in the future, work that is not appropriate for our platforms, will not appear."

Translation:

"We have put editing procedures in place to insure that in the future, the editors actually read what goes on the site."

Cruikshank:

"Ombudsman Carlin makes another significant observation in his response to complainants: when it does choose to print opinion, CBCNews.ca displays a very narrow range on its pages. In this, Carlin is also correct. This, too, is being immediately addressed."

Translation:

"We are worried that Mr Harper might win a majority government. Very, very worried."

Cruikshank:

"CBCNews.ca will soon expand the diversity of voices and opinions and be home to a diverse group of writers with many perspectives. In this, we will better reflect the depth and texture of this country."

Translation:

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing Rex Murphy reminisce about his fucking Studebaker too."

It will be interesting to see what actually comes of this, what diverse voices they actually bring onboard.

-k

Edited by kimmy

An American friend contacted me today about CBC Heather Mallick's totally unprovoked, vicious and vulgar attack on Republican Vice-Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin and virtually all Americans. I was truly embarrassed to be a Canadian! Will the CBC (whose political views should be neutral, not to the left of Carl Marx) please do all Canadians a favour and fire Mallick? She is a national disgrace! Could the CBC just confine its political views to Canada? Does Canada even need a taxpayer-funded CBC anymore? My son works frequently in the USA and I live there a few months each year, hopefully in a welcome and friendly environment conducive to living safely and peacefully with our good American neighbours. Such Canadian behaviour creates dangerous conditions for Canadians working and living in USA. Does no one give thought to that aspect?

The 'Real Consequences' of CBC-Mallick attack on Sarah Palin

An American contacted me today about CBC Heather Mallick's totally unprovoked, vicious and vulgar attack on Republican Vice-Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin and virtually all Americans. I was truly embarrassed to be a Canadian! Will the CBC (whose political views should be neutral) please do all Canadians a favour and fire Mallick? She is a national disgrace! Could the CBC just confine its political views to Canada? Does Canada even need a taxpayer-funded CBC anymore? Not being a writer, I cannot explain myself adequately about this incident, but will try here. What are the real and dangerous consequences of Mallick's vitriol? She probably thinks she has produced a literary masterpiece and, like 'Little Jack Horner', thinks what a good boy (girl) am I! However, that is just the start and not the end of it. My son has 3 children in school in Orlando. What is going to happen to them? Or the thousands of other Canadian children in American schools like them? Thanks to Mallick, they will suffer the cruel consequences of her actions and their lives will now be hell! School-ground cruelty in cases like this is legendary! Or my grand daughter, who lives there with her new American husband? Or Canadians on holiday to the USA? Will they be embarrassed and ostracised too, like the school children surely will? Yes. Americans have a long history of lampooning Americans (Saturday Night Live, Doonesbury, etc.) As that is all 'in the family', it is fine. The same here in Canada with 'Air Farce', etc. When lampooning crosses borders, however, it is not the same at all. As the Canadian media does not seem to 'get it' and hides behind the smoke screen of 'Freedom of Speech' to excuse themselves, I will try to illustrate with a 'parable'. Italians can use words like 'wop' to each other in a totally friendly and non-offending way. They do not, however, take kindly to non-Italians referring to them with this word. It is the same with other Ethnic groups. It is OK provided it is 'all in the family'. Obviously, it is the same with other countries too! Do you not think, if the tables were turned, that American children going to school in Canada would not suffer the cruel consequences? What goes on with Mallick, with the CBC, with Canada? How can we be proud to be 'Canadians' anymore, with behaviour like this on an international level? And we claim to be 'A Kinder and Gentler Society'? How can we make that claim? That myth is now in shreds! Thank God, the Americans are a much kinder, more understanding and more forgiving people than we are. I think all the people suffering the consequences of the actions of CBC and Mallick deserve a proper 'no snow-job' answer to this, not just a lame and insincere apology.

The 'Real Consequences' of CBC-Mallick attack on Sarah Palin

There are no consequences , real or imagined, with her piece. It was an opinion piece and a poor one at that.

No kids anywhere,certainly not your grandkids, will suffer one iota.

Were any American kids, while going to school here, suffering any hardships when US politico's put their foot in their mouth's?

No.

There are no consequences , real or imagined, with her piece. It was an opinion piece and a poor one at that.

Mallick has a right to free speech...even hate speech it seems. Still waiting for the HRT to convene a la Mark Steyn.

And by all means, please bring those cute Mapleleaf patched backpacks with you to Alaska! :lol:

Mallick has a right to free speech...even hate speech it seems.

Sure does in the first, and it wasnt in the second.

Still waiting for the HRT to convene a la Mark Steyn.

What are you talking about? The HRT never convened for Steyn.

And by all means, please bring those cute Mapleleaf patched backpacks with you to Alaska! :lol:

What can I say, they sell well in your country.